1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Quintrex Hornet Trophy Vs. Stacer Proline Angler

Discussion in 'Boats' started by User1, Feb 24, 2008.

1. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    OK, the decision has been made and the order for a new boat will be done mid March.

I'm going new on advice from the better half who wants to start coming out in the boat (she wants to be comfortable while reading!).

The question I have and the advice I am after is preferably from someone who has already had experience with both, or compared both boats previously.

The 420 Stacer Proline Angler (~ $11,000) compared to a 435 Hornet Trophy (~$15,000). Is the extra money worth it for the Quintrex and why?

I'm trying to keep the price down so won't be optioning it up at all at time of purchase. Ideally I wanted a side console, but it adds too much to the cost, and I think it consumes too much deck space on these size boats. I'll stick with the 2 stroke supplied and may look at upgrading in the future if funds allow.

How do both compare in terms of stability and handling. I've been in plenty of Hornet and can't fault them, I haven't however fished out of a Stacer so can't compare.

I'd love to hear some opinions on the Stacer Proline Angler's specifically.

Thanks for any advice or contributions you can make.

2. steve37

steve37 New Member

Jun 21, 2006
    What hp motors would these units come with ?

3. Native_Caster

Native_Caster New Member

Feb 12, 2006
    The stacer is a quintrex explorer with stacer stickers;). I have a explorer for the same reason to get the 4meter hornet i would have had to stick a 40 on the back hence blowing my budget with any boat go the max horsepower. I have a 30 honda on my 3.95 explorer and thats the max its allowed but its still a lil bit under powered in my opinon. There have been some alright second hand hornets going around lately that may be an option. If you want a two stroke upgrading down the track cost $$ I Learnt the hard way on my last boat so i went with one straight up with a four stroke on the new boat. The stacer will be a bit rougher in choppy water than a hornet but nothing unsafe stabiltiy wouldnt be an issue.

cheers

Stephen

4. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    Marc

Big tip for you regarding confort whilst reading :)

Get a bimini top, ive got one but usually dont bother taking it along, but thats changed now because when i have the reader on board all i here is, "wheres the sun shade thingy, im getting too hot, why dont you bring the sun shade thingy, can we go home now im starting to burn", etc etc etc :D :D

Jules

5. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    The budget really is maxed out so as much as I would like the 4 stroke and know it will be more expensive to upgrade later that's the sacrifice I will make for a brand new boat.

The bimini is certainly a good tip and one I had overlooked, thanks Jules.

I'm leaning toward the Hornet I feel, only because it's a proven performer.

The Polycraft still comes in a lot cheaper, but I don't like the deck layout of those (less casting deck space).

6. CraigD

CraigD New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Hi Marc,
    I had a explorer trophy and upgraded to the hornet as i was sick of getting wet when it was a little rough on the lakes the quintrex are fitted out a little better than the stacer also I believe.
    When your ready to order it can I suggest you give Bendigo Marine a call as I found them to be a lot better to deal with than some of the dealers and after sales service I cannot fault.
    They could also organise a test run for you in both types of boat at Bridgewater.
    Cheers Craig

7. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Thanks for the input Craig, after speaking to a few people today also the Hornet Trophy is definately the decision.

Most people I know have also only had great things to say about Bendigo Marine, and I'll certainly be dealing with them!! :)

Thanks for the tips guys.

8. Goodoo Dreaming

Goodoo Dreaming New Member

Apr 12, 2006
    As for Quintrex dealers ring as many as you can as you'll be surprised at the price variance. Try Vic, NSW & Qld dealers.

As for shade in your casting boat the bimini's are a nuiscance. I use the old beach umbrella's they work a treat when set up properly and you can use more than just one and they fold away right out of the way. Its a cheap option worth investigating.

9. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Thanks for the advice. I've spoken to Bendigo Marine and have been most happy with their service etc.

I was still investigating second hand boats, but I really haven't found anything I'm satisfied with for under 10K. If I am going to spend that, I may as well just go new.

10. GALVO

GALVO New Member

May 6, 2006
    I have a second hand boat for sale under $10K that would be perfect for you Mark.

11. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    I saw yours Galvo and sussed it out.

The thing is, if I'm going to spend 10K, I think I would rather just spend the extra 5K and get the Hornet. For nothing other than the increased deck space and size.

I also want to take it to Narooma each year as well around the estuaries, and I just think anything under 4m is not going to be safe enough.

12. GALVO

GALVO New Member

May 6, 2006
    I can ensure you that boat unders 4 metres are safe in Estuaries. The two times that the boat has been in saltwater was when I used it in Corio Bay chasing snapper with plastics in choppy conditions. Is was very stale and safe.

The boat has been used in very very rough conditions in Lake Hume, lake Dartmouth and Lake Mulwala without any troubles. People that fish Lake Hume and Dartmouth can tell you how rough it gets very quickly there.

I understand you would perfer buying new (I do to) but with your limited budget you will only get the basic package with no extras. Also that ain't very much extra deck space between the two boats.

If it was me I would perfer to buy a package with everything already set up with all the extras including boat cover which is $1,000 these days and still have $5,000 change to spend of fishing gear, trips away or pay off bills etc.

13. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    You make fair points Galvo, hence my difficulties in making a decision which way to go! One minute I'm buying new and considering finance, or buying second hand and blowing my savings!

Decisions, decisions!

14. Goodoo Dreaming

Apr 12, 2006
    The decision is a difficult one. Primarliy it should be based on total cost/budget and what boat/hull you want to use. Many make the mistake of buying something purely on cost and end up with a boat that does not fit your total needs. Luckily there are new and used options with many good boats which should give you some options so keep your eye on the boat you want at your given price.

15. roundy

roundy New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Hornet 435 legends boat

Well guys you might as well know from the big fella, I too have joined the Legends of the water by purchasing a Hornet 435 with all the modern cons like a bimini cover, tow cover, 4 stroke 40hp Yamaha, drive on trailer..........a bottle or two of port, baileys and a box full of Knols Lures.

Bet you know whos boat I bought..........

Roundy

16. Fullboar

Fullboar New Member

Jan 26, 2006
    BOOB'S.....

17. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    He bought boobs? Of the silicone kind?

18. Goodoo Dreaming

Apr 12, 2006
    Not the S.S.Bailey's! :D

19. GALVO

GALVO New Member

May 6, 2006
    Marc

I have added some more photos of the boat.

20. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Hi There
    A good cheaper alternative is the Stessco 420 Bass Tracker around $12k.Great little estuary boat.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008