1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Scotty Jordan incubators.

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Rod Bender, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi all
    Last week one of my mates talked me into going to Snobs Creek hatchery for the day and helping out with the loading/placing whatever, of trout eggs into the Scotty Jordan incubators. I first become aware of these when I attended my first 'Talk Wild Trout' conference. Basically, the fertilised trout eggs are placed into the incubators (each egg in its own individual compartment) and then the incubators are placed into selected streams where the eggs hatch and the little fishies swim off happily (or so it is hoped).
    http://scotty.com/product/jordan-scotty-fish-egg-incubator/
    The idea is to stock trout into streams...but fisheries have found that hatchery bred fish are not surviving once they hit the wild rivers. The idea is these incubators release fish that will have no idea that they are hatchery bred pets and therefore may adapt to the wild a lot better!

Eggs are placed in individual compartments in trays and then the trays are bolted together.
    incubator 40.jpg
    Once each individual incubator is loaded, it is then placed into a holding tank until its 'release'.
    holding tank 40.jpg
    Basically, the incubators are anchored into the selected rivers (perhaps only 2 rivers this year) and nature does its thing! But I do remember the previous years results being discussed at last years trout conference. Incubators were retrieved and it appeared as though a very good percentage of the eggs were gone...therefore they hatched successfully. In previous years some incubators may have been lost in floods. But last year fisheries electro - fished the areas looking for juvenile fish that may have come from the incubators in the previous season. Bad news for the trout fishos is I don't think too may juvenile fish were found putting some doubt on the program.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Trout nurturer!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    When I see contraptions like those incubators, I am amazed that someone came up with such an idea.

Jeff

creekboy, kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  3. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Me too. It's not often we can improve on nature's systems.

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Noel, if it wasn't for those smart buggers out there who have the ability to think outside of the box, we would still be back in the dark ages when it comes to fishing.

Jeff

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  5. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Your point conceded.

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  6. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    The incubators were placed in the rivers last week. They went in 2 days prior to the original intended placement day as there were concerns that the eggs were a little more advanced than expected. I should have some news on their success in late November when I attend the trout conference. There should also be an update on previous years success.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Trout eggologist!

7. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    its an eggzacting science R.B

8. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    You're right Blair. But mostly; it's good to see you back. You're missed when absent

N

9. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Good to be back and appreciated, not working for a while so have time to chat to u guys and enjoy life.
    cheers

creekboy, diesel, Old fisho and 2 others like this.
  10. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Get back to work Blair and continue paying taxes to help support us poor idle pensioners.

Jeff ;)

11. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    A funny thing happened on the way to the forum. (Has theatrical connotations)
    I was typing my way through a reply to Blair when the entire post disappeared and I can no longer find any trace of it in TBX.

Blair wondered about the relationship of the word 'piscatorial' and the name of Izaac Walton's partner, 'Piscator' in the book 'The Compleat Angler'. Note also the spelling of 'Compleat' then as compared to our 'complete'. I think he wondered about Piscator getting his name from 'piscatorial'.
    He also referred to me as an old sage or similar. Sage being a favourite seasoning and I'm certainly well seasoned; I guess it's appropriate.
    'Piscatorial' seems to have originated in the 17th century as did the book in 1653. It most likely that 'piscator' was a noun used to describe a fisherman at the time. Note they did not have political correctness crap at that time.
    This information is supported by equal amounts of research and guesses.
    Noel

12. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I wonder if the word pre-dates the 17th century, Noel. It is obviously a derivative of the Latin word for fish 'piscis' from which words used to describe anything relating to fish or fishing used the prefix 'pisc' as in piscator the noun and piscatorial the adjective. We also have 'Pisces' which is plural for 'piscis' and the 12th sign of the Zodiac and another rarely used word being 'piscicidal' meaning poisonous to fish.

My bride speaks fluent Latin and may be able to pinpoint how far back the word piscatorial was actually in use. She has quite a few reference books on the language and the origins of words. I will keep you posted.

Jeff

13. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Agreed. I am certain that it was derived from that form in Latin, as many of our current English words were. I just didn't want to create a history lesson, being content to say that 'piscatorial' was probably little used in English much before that century. Still happy to learn more though Jeff. I was unaware of 'piscicidal' until now. Thanks. Noel

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  14. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Noel, you are correct about the word originating in the 17th century. The words piscator and piscatorial both first appeared in print during the 1630's.

15. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Jeff
    Just a lucky guess I'd say.

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  16. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    The closest I have been to piscis or similar is pissed on last night of last fishing trip! Also supporting a few pensioners by paying around $1400.00 tax per week at present + gst on anything I buy. I thought I had better get back to work was feeling guilty not supporting pensioners, single mothers,drugos etc, not;). Am pumping up my bank account to support future fishing expeditions and long bludges and playing motorbike restorer.

17. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Things could be a lot worse Blair, imagine what it would be like without a social welfare system - the crime rate would soar, people begging in the streets, more corruption in politics than we see today and as for the GST, it was the best thing that ever happened to our complex taxation system.

Back in the pre GST days, anything that was deemed a luxury was slugged the highest rate of sales tax which from memory was 33.3%. Most electronic goods were classed as luxury items whereas anything that was deemed a necessity in life was exempt. It was interesting to note that razor blades were once deemed a luxury and taxed at the highest rate whilst women's cosmetics were exempt as they were classed as a necessity....read into that what you will. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure where fishing gear featured on the pre GST tax schedule, but from memory it wasn't cheap back in the early days and yet that could just be my perception.

Back when I was a wage earner and then paying tax as a business owner, I had such a dim view of whinging pensioners that I would never utter a good word about them. Now that I've joined their ranks, I can understand some of the things they moaned about, not everything, just some.

You'll be there one day.

Jeff

kev209, creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  18. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Been there, done all that too Jeff, as a wage earner, then business operator. for most of my life. And I never made millions either.
    I didn't like the proposed GST until it came into effect. Then it became obvious as a fair (you spend, you pay) tax that did much for the economy as well as ensuring that everyone pays their share on purchases.
    We now collect a little bit of pension every couple of weeks but spent a lot on our previous house to get the numbers right in the right places. We were a borderline case and right was the operative word. Spending it entitled us to the small pension bit we now get. It also raised the sale price of the house by around $100K. Win-Win. It would be easy to live without the income side but that piece of plastic (card) is worth lots in other benefits as many of us know.
    We should be grateful to live here and not in many other countries. Few populations are better looked after than ourselves.
    I recall fishing gear was subject to varying rates of sales tax but mostly at 12.5%. We sold a bit of boat gear for years and it was generally rated at 25% sales tax.
    So get back to work Blair. Perhaps the country needs you, I don't know that but some TBX blokes certainly need your ongoing input.
    Noel

kev209, creekboy and diesel like this.
  19. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I remember the first Penn Senator reel I purchased back in the late 60's Noel, it cost me the equivalent of more than 2 weeks wages. With the average weekly wage today being in excess of $1200, I could purchase 4 similar reels with 1 weeks pay.

We do have a good lifestyle here in Oz, whether as a wage earner or the recipient of social welfare benefits.

Jeff

kev209, creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  20. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Ok Ok I will get back to work, sheeet u guys are starting to sound like my trouble and strife:) i just has a day off and looked like was having another but bloody inconsiderate boss just text me to come in, could be worse poor bugger is organising work this time of night 8.30pm here.
    I think reels did used to take a bigger chunk of our pay. hopefully our government and tax department know what they are doing, I dont have much faith in them but we could be far worse off I don't know if I will get the pension hopefully I will have enough super etc and still work a bit. Our welfare must keep down the crime etc, medicare is a good idea didn't cost me a cent last year when I got useless buggered appendix removed looked after me really well.
    I worked on the construction of the state debt recovery building last year right next to the state tax office and we were thinking about lowering someone down the roof duct of the tax office, after dark and removing certain names from their computers so that certain persons no longer existed according to the A.T.O .heh heh.
    The ATO must want our women to look good not taxing the cosmetics, sooo that's a good thing I er think. "Theres no such thing as an ugly woman u just haven't had enough to drink!" I am going to the fridge now for 1 ruski.
    There is a lot more people living on the streets around than there used to be, I think most of it is self inflicted though. Next to where I am working at darling harbour (the ribbon project u can view on the net, apparently it is a birthday present for someones son) there are some bums living in a gap between 2 main roads between the concrete block kerbs whith a flyover highway above to keep off most of the rain, a women was living there for a while and we observed her punching out a bloke one day(she looks a lot like a bloke), he wasn't really fighting back, the other day i seen what looked like 2 car loads of detectives stop the traffic and get out looking at a photo and standing around a body lying in the gap/home one put on his rubber gloves and got out some gear, I was wondering what happened to him , drugs? stabbing? apparently there had already been a stabbing about who,s turn it was to "be" whith the woman:eek:. Next thing I know the body moved , he woke up whith about 10 coppers standing around him looking down on him he must have s--t himself.

Goat : keeping the country supported! as per orders!

creekboy, Old fisho and kev209 like this.