1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Seasonal Restriction Clarification (Murray River)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by User1, Sep 5, 2005.

1. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    <span style=\'color:Blue\'>Intending on spending a fair bit of time at the Murray at our new onsite van in Strathmerton but I\'m concerned about varying reports on the \\"closed season\\".

We would fall (I assume) in the Yarrawonga to Torrumbarry section of the Murray River.

From the DPI website (<a href=\'http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/angling/Introduction/MurrayRiver.htm\' target=\'_blank\'>http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/angling/Introduc...MurrayRiver.htm</a>) all I can find is:<span style=\'color:DimGray\'> In NSW (including the Murray River) and Victoria in 2002 there is a closed season for taking Murray cod from September to November, inclusive.

I read however on another site (not official, a forum post), that this section of the Murray is closed to ALL TYPES of fishing during this period.

Is anyone able to clarify this for me? If not closed exclusively, does that mean we can still catch and release Murray Cod legally?</span></span></span>
    [/b]</span>

2. cvbass

cvbass New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    No it isn't closed for all types of fishing, I know for a fact that you can fish torrumbarry & other parts all year round, just not for cod in the closed season. You can still fish and if you do catch a cod it must be released. You are not allowed to fish exclusively for cod during closed season, fisheries will see this as using Large lures used to target cod or Oversize Hooks etc.
    Hope this helps

Can you please point me in the direction of the forum post that says that it is closed to all types of fishing?

3. awhite_au

awhite_au New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    We DO fall between Yarrawonga/Mulwala and Torrumbarry. Besides your general size limits and cod season, remember Macquarie perch, Silver Perch (except in dams and lakes) and Trout Cod must be released if caught no matter what time of year. But from September - November it is illegal to keep any Murray Cod of any size. The only place anywhere between Yarrawonga and Torrumbarry that I'm aware of that is closed to fishing regardless, is the water immediately downstream of the spillway at lake Mulwala (Yarrawonga) as the airrated water attracts a great number of fish. So yeah, no cod unfortunately... although, as we do most of the time, if you learn to love such wonderfull fish as the Murray Cod, 9 times out of 10 you'll want to release it and just keep the memory... no size limits on them ;)

4. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Thanks for the info there guys, and yeah Andrew you're right, I don't have much desire to eat a cod, only to snap a nice big pic to go frontpage on here :)

I thought this was the case from everything I have read, but this particular thread I read made me think I better check. Sorry cvbass I didn't bookmark it, it was on fishnet somewhere from memory and was an old post.

I hear we may have a weekend up on the Murray coming up Andrew :)

5. craig308

craig308 Member

Aug 24, 2005
    i think the closed section of river is between yarrawonga and the cobram bridge