1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Seatrail boat trailers

Discussion in 'Boats' started by Garfield28, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Garfield28

Garfield28 Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Hi,

Was going to refurb my trailer but believe its rusting from the inside out on the main outside support so will more than likely be looking at buying a new one.

Anyone own or have anything nice to say about the setrail trailers? I went and looked at one today and it looked pretty solid. The guy there admitted that back in the early days of importing them they had issues with the galvinising as they were not cleaning the steel correctly but he said that has all been sorted now and they have had no problems other than the winch and the jockey wheel which he admitted were pretty crap and probably the only real issue they have with the new trailers.

Any advice or stories by someone who actually owns one would be great.

Thanks

Geoff

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I don't own one myself, Geoff, but I had a look at one in a boat yard in Townsville a couple of years back and my first impression was that it was not the best quality, especially the galvanising - too many spots were showing bare metal and no zinc. After doing a bit more research, I found out that there were many reports of corrosion problems due to the sub standard Chinese workmanship - winches, tow couplings and jockey wheels were crap and needed replacing within a very short time.

Unless they have lifted their game a lot in the past 2 years, I would steer clear of them. You get what you pay for, I guess.

Jeff

kev209, Rod Bender and creekboy like this.
  3. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Sounds like pretty good advice there, Jeff. Cheers, Lyall.

kev209 and diesel like this.
  4. Garfield28

Garfield28 Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah the guy at the place admitted they had some issues in the early days but they now had it sorted, but did say the winch and the jockey wheel were the main issues they had with them now, and if that is the case I could cop that.

kev209 and diesel like this.
  5. Garfield28

Garfield28 Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Anyone have any knowledge or reviews on Spitfire Aluminium trailers? Got a price on a brand new full aluminum one with torsion springs, hydraulic brakes, LED lights, walk platform etc with boat fitted for $4550. I just don't know yet how long they have been around and how decent the trailers are

6. Garfield28

Garfield28 Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Any info on the Spifire or the Seatrail would be good guys, I'm torn and don't know what to do or which way to go.

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  7. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    We had a few boats over the years and always used Brooker standard or tilt Trailers. Never had a problem. They probably don't exist anymore. A friend swore by Dunbier. They probably don't exist either. I could do basic services like bearings, change rollers etc. That's about my knowledge of boat trailers.

creekboy likes this.
  8. Garfield28

Garfield28 Member

Nov 27, 2017
    I know the aussie ones are good, but as far as I'm concerned they are still way over priced I believe for what they are.

Truth be known I don't really wanna go Chinese but the price difference sort of makes it hard not to, but would still like to know that they are at least worthwhile before I do because I don't really have the money to throw away either.

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  9. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    I would go a Tinker trailer or Brooker personally, have had both on my Haines and under my EasyRider both fantastic trailers... I was quoted $2100 for a new fully braked drive on trailer for my 16R only last year before I sold it from my local boat mechanic... Maybe try your bloke they can usually source local trailers which can be quite inexpensive and also very reliable and most likely made locally :D

I think $4500 is very steep for a trailer of any size, regardless if its made in Aus or Overseas.

Good luck with the purchase mate

10. Garfield28

Garfield28 Member

Nov 27, 2017
    kev209 likes this.