1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

SERIOUSLY NOW

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Old fisho, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Just how much fishing gear is 'too much'?
    We hear guys talking now and then about how much gear they have.
    For curiosity I went to the garage to get the new rod and check its ability to throw a light weight (1.5gr) jig head. It worked pretty much as I hoped, but hard to tell as it was rather windy out near the road.
    When I came back in I looked at rods standing in racks, others in bags and fly rods in tubes.
    After including two beach rods in a poly pipe, I found no less than 36 rods there. Some of course would be of little value, while others quite the opposite. To take a rough guess there would be at least another fifteen at Lake Eucumbene. That means over fifty fishing rods in total and they have all been used. They cover light game rods, baitcasters, rods for trolling, and the list goes on.
    Ultimate decision-I must be mad. What do you think? How many have you all got?
    Noel
    Hoarder el supremo

blair, creekboy, kev209 and 3 others like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I think the most I've had at any one time was 28, but in recent years I have whittled that down to 11. I do not like odd numbers so I will definitely increase the count to an even dozen before making the trek back home. :D

At a rough guess I would say that during my fishing life I have owned more than 100, gave quite a few away, sold a lot, lost some and had a few stolen.

Jeff

blair, creekboy, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  3. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Yes, using the same reasons you suggest, I've probably had more than 100 also.
    Have you been catching a few?
    Noel

blair, creekboy, diesel and 1 other person like this.
  4. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I have over 40, probably use 6 mostly, I have some old Jarvis Walker rods I have collected over the years that I should re-home and some of my fathers rods. Surf rods I'll use once in a blue moon the same with fly rods, but it's hard to part with them, cheers davo

blair, creekboy, diesel and 3 others like this.
  5. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I have not done a count, but at one stage I had 4x 6wt fly rods, 2x5wts1 x4wt 17xwt 2x8wt and a 9wt thats stuck together. then I have bait casters, and normal bait rods. Thens theres Sals rods, she a lovely 1 piece spinning rod here she has had for 10 years, never used. When she found out fenwick fly rods on special in Adamindby for $100, she brought his entire stock. still has most un used lol.
    cheers Pete

blair, creekboy, diesel and 3 others like this.
  6. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Only 6, 2 telescopic, Black Queen, Black Queen Deluxe, Erskine Deluxe, and a JW Fishunter for the salt. All my coarse gear went long ago. The Daiwa, Abu, Shimano and Silstar rods plus quite a bit of other gear went to the local Church op shop not long ago.

blair, creekboy, Old fisho and 2 others like this.
  7. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    That's interesting Kev.
    I still like my #6 Silstar rod; the second fly rod I ever owned.
    It's caught (helped catch) buckets of fish. Had an ABU fly rod and gave it to an old TBX member
    because I then had a fair range of options. Have never been a Black Queen fan but once owned one. No idea what happened it. Had a five weight Daiwa years ago and left it on the bank at Eucumbene one night. Maybe I left it in bad place on the boat and it fell off. Went back early next morning but never found it. Lovely thing with gold guides. Bought a Shimano bait caster to take around Australia and it brok in half somewhere around Darwin. Not with a fish on it. It simply broke during a cast. Several of my rods would do well to go the way of yours. Still deciding which ones.
    Noel
    Thanks Kev for the info

blair, creekboy, Madfisher and 2 others like this.
  8. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Enough for a feed Noel, but nothing to brag about. Had a lot of fun catching leatherjacket with a handline at one of my old favourite spots from many years ago. It was the first time I had fished for them since I was a kid.

My time here is just about coming to an end. I had intended heading further south, but it looks like we will have to head back home to attend to some business interests. We will probably be back down here late next year on a trip to Tassie if things go to plan.

Jeff

blair, creekboy, Old fisho and 2 others like this.
  9. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I have about 25 rods, if I need one to suit a fishing trip I will get it even for one trip, well worth it. Next one will be the diawa jeff recommended I think, if it fits layed down in my boat for long casts at pelagics after casting my 45 odd year old one in September it is a difficult heavy floppy piece of spaghetti whith near useless accuracy compared to my 7'5" zodious baitcast which can nearly if not match the distance whith ease, my favourite all round rod is now my "lucky" rod.

10. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I think we share the same attitude Blair. I have always applied the same to tools. If I wanted one for a job, I got it. Have never bought one that wasn't used again soon, if at least, just because I had it.
    As an aside, am hoping to go and see the guys at the local Men's Shed this morning. Might even accidentally of course, drop the suggestion that Bill might like to go for a fish tomorrow. Think I can get a leave pass to go with him but doubt I'd get a tick (or anything else of any pleasantness) if I suggested taking boat out on my own.
    Noel
    Got a new rod to be de-virginalised

diesel, kev209 and Madfisher like this.
  11. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I should be there in a couple of weeks to launch it and be anchor nigger etc for a few days haven't got official approval for time off yet , might not bother waiting for it either. Don't forget to be gentle de-virginalising new rod or u may do something similar to it whith spelt whith 4 letters:confused:

Madfisher and kev209 like this.