1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Show us your purchases!

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rod Bender, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I did! I also commented on the post above (talking about grips?). But these aren't too bad...my hand fits on them. And for what I was after, this rod suited. I am going to change my grip to suit as well. Currently I have 2 fingers to the front, and 2 fingers to the back of the reel stem. Am going to try 3 to the front.

Biggest issue so far is I just want to get out and start using this new stuff. Stuff i have tried so far (after having it for a while before using) is brilliant. The Alderbaran will get a run soon after all this time sitting idle waiting for me to get motivated.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Going to pull the finger out!

blair and diesel like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Oops! I might have to go to Specsavers.

Jeff

3. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    blair, diesel and Rod Bender like this.
  4. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    You just gave me an idea! Do you know a good local real estate agent?!!!!!:cool: Nice rod as well! I think I may have played with one at Trelly's.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    If fishing gear was currency, I would be a fkn millionaire!

blair, diesel and DeeBeeKay like this.
  5. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Active Member

Sep 9, 2019
    Courtesy of a hot tip from Master Baiter, I'm now the proud owner of two of two of these guys.

[​IMG]

Each will be hung below a Monster Mesh MX531S for offshore jigging and bait wetting duties, as we try and chase snapper and kingies. I've been after them for quite a number of months, but always there's been some other more important thing to put finances towards. But I couldn't walk past them at bit better than 20% off.

blair, DeeBeeKay, diesel and 2 others like this.
  6. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Nice rbf! I may have accidentally asked for a price, and delivery time of a Shimano Sustain 2500...as well as a price for an extra spool, at the local today. May find out tomorrow. Does anyone have the Sustain?

Also, took delivery of another Doof Doc lure today. Will get some pics up in a few days.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Nearly run out of money!

ratherbefishin and diesel like this.
  7. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    I've just got an old sustain 8000 FE
    Remember them and the stradic FI they came with a spear spool now the bloody thieving bastards make us pay $100+ for something we should get thrown in ......

Rod Bender, ratherbefishin and diesel like this.
  8. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I don't own one, but I have used a 3000HGFI for a couple of hours flicking surface lures on jacks. It felt good on a 2-5 kg rod and performed as a reel in that price bracket should, but I couldn't see much difference in performance and feel to my Stradic 2500FJ.

Jeff

blair, Rod Bender, DeeBeeKay and 2 others like this.
  9. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Tac, I made it clear to the tackle store that I didn't want to pay excessive money for the spool...hinting that they shouldn't put their usual mark up on it. And yes, Shimano have gone tigjr ar5e, I can remember other reels coming with an extra spool.

Jeff...you gave me an idea! I checked out Anaconda this morning. The Sradic FK...is on clearance ar $230. I may take the obvious option...buy both of them!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Has a feeling Jedgpz may post on this thread soon!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  10. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    With Anaconda gift card and some secret stash of money (shhhhhhh do tell the wife...) I headed to Anaconda to restock on Gulps for my annual Lake Eildon Cup Day and following day trip.
    Jig heads and Gulp for slow rolling the trees that will result in multiple yellas getting caught.
    Predatek Lures Which i dont need or was not going to get but they were $5 each so they had to follow me home.
    Wild Series Travel rod for taking on the Triumph 1050.
    8lb Fireline to go on it.
    Zerek fish Trap (from Trellys) because it said good for Eildon Redfin. (will test the advice)

Bender may be one who can see the future....

Cheers Jed

IMG_6495.JPG

11. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    So...I cut loose again when the local CA store had a sale. 30% off lures and 50% off the line.
    line.JPG
    lures.JPG
    slug fest.JPG
    The Slug Fest lures above, with hindsight, I would not have purchased them. I checked them out on youtube and found that they are wakebaits. I think I remember checking them out a while ago and deciding not to get them. The Megabass lures below were not on special, however I got a few dollars knocked off. I was very impressed with their action when I checked. These will work on cod.

Megabass.JPG
    I got my hands on another Doof Doc!:cool:
    Doof doc.JPG
    Last but not least...my secret weapon for coloring corn (carp bait)!
    pink.JPG I should have taken the above pic in darkness as to not expose my secrets!

May have ordered a Shimano Sustain 2500 spin reel as well as a extra spool...and a spool for a Stradic FK...which I don't have, so now I will have to buy one!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Only has to spend a couple dollars to defeat CC!

ratherbefishin, blair and diesel like this.
  12. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Corn in a ziplock bag with Jelly Crystals works too........
    Cheers Jed

13. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I don't suppose you picked up any of those lures for me :rolleyes: cheers davo

14. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Impresive looking rod R.B, Looked up the price for one should perform well, the large carp will obviously immediately attack anything you cast out whith that rod!Watch out CC!.
    I like the split butt rods, don't know why. Lighter? easier for accurate hand placement?

ratherbefishin, diesel and Rod Bender like this.
  15. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    What price roughly did you see the rod for online? I paid around $460 ish which wasn't bad...well, still stupidly expensive for fishing gear but...meh!!!

I mentioned on another thread about getting a Daiwa BG...have ordered a Sustain 2500.

As for split grips, I am.not sure about you but I have big hands! With spin rods, if I purchase split grips I make sure my hands fit without resting on the blank. There are many great baitcast rods I won't touch as my hands are too large for them.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Also requires large gloves.

blair, ratherbefishin and diesel like this.
  16. CornaCarpio

CornaCarpio Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    What is the Carp fishing world/war coming to? I've heard and seen it all now. Might have to call d├ętente now before a fishing gear 'arms race' ensues mutually assured destruction for both (or all) of us! In my case that would involve buying a new packet of chemically sharpened hooks and a new spool of line...

I'm still using some hooks I found down at the creek to go fishing, which I'm hoping will last me all summer. Although I have been scouring the interwebs for some 3/4 inch red/white push-button floats, which I've been told there is an 'Australian-wide' shortage of at the moment. Maybe Blunder has bought them all to sabotage my Carp-fishing endeavors?

CC
    Genuinely wonders where RB stores all his gear....

ratherbefishin, blair and Rod Bender like this.
  17. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    The first part of the quote....this is no doubt why you have only produced a 73 cm carp!

The answer to your question....I store all of my gear in a warehouse that I leased to store my supply of push button red and white floats!!!

If I see any locally I will get them for you, or are you just looking online cos it is cheaper. What is it that you like about them anyway?
    Cheers
    Rod Bender
    People should actually wonder how I afford so much gear!

ratherbefishin and blair like this.
  18. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    I knew it! I should sue your ar$e for restraint of trade and contact the ACCC for your monopolistic and predatory buying of key fishing equipment in our so-called 'fair' carp-competition! A win for the little guy - with a big Carp!

Apparently there really is an Australian-wide shortage of 3/4 inch fishing floats. I had a quick look on ebay, and found a bulk 50 pack from the USA, but may have to wait for the AUD to appreciate before I buy. Why do I like using them? Well, they're perfect for the creek - the fish don't seem to spook when I use them and they are heavy enough to allow me to cast to the other side, i.e. anywhere in the creek. Bigger floats tend to spook the fish and smaller ones tend not to float (with bait underneath) or give me enough casting distance!

CC
    Second question: what percentage of your fishing gear do you actually use? 5%?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  19. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    You and your fkn 3/4 inch floats! I ventured into Anaconda to look...small red and white floats...yep! Half inch then 1 inch! I may actually get some of the half inch ones! Have you used the smallest ones?

The problem with going in there...I have started eying off 2 Stradic sizes. If I end up getting 2, you are paying bud!

The answer to your question...your guesstimate would be about write...although it is increasing slowly. Currently, about the only thing that makes me happy is buying fishing gear...even if I already have enough But the spending will end soon.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Acknowledges that mental illness is a strange thing!

20. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    I have used the smallest ones. The are OK as a 'bite indicator' but not much else. Even more than 1 piece of corn can weigh them down, which renders them, well, not a float. I too have a confession to make. Deep breath. I too *occasionally* buy too much fishing gear. At the end of last season I ran out of my 'favourite' size of float. Not knowing what size they were exactly (first mistake), I had a guess they were 1 inch, so I bought a heap (second mistake). Turns out my preferred size is not 1 inch :(

CC
    Don't ask me how much I paid for the floats...

74450303_2411264315806913_8600388194506113024_n.jpg

ratherbefishin, blair and Rod Bender like this.