1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Show us your purchases!

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rod Bender, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    After finding reviews on these rods I wish I never bought one there are 4 or 5 on the bcf sight alone with broken rods ......

kev209 likes this.
  2. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I wouldn't worry about it! The Shimano Raider series is a much maligned rod, yet many swear by it. Use it with confidence and you should be fine. If it does break, then chances are it will be covered by warranty.
    Cheers
    Team Bender

3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    The Maikuro are an over rated rod in my opinion, Tac. I bought a 6'8" Maikuro 6 to 8kg stick on impulse, used it once and wasn't happy with the action, seems to have the same inherent problem as the surf rod, no strength down low.

The pick of the lighter surf rods would have to be the Daiwa Seajigger, 10'6" - 4 to 8kg, currently on special at BCF for $199. They are the rod of choice by most South Australian salmon fishos.

Jeff

blair, Tackleberry and kev209 like this.
  4. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I need a new beach rod tack how long is it and how much thx

diesel and kev209 like this.
  5. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Just a light weight spin 10.5 ' and $119
    For 50 60g slugs for salmon .
    I use 10lb 8 carrier braid and 25lb wind on shock leader 1.5 x the length of the rod .

blair, diesel and kev209 like this.
  6. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Lin's not going shopping any more. Well I suppose I do have enough fishing gear.

IMG_1540.JPG

ratherbefishin, blair, diesel and 3 others like this.
  7. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Nothing like being comfy when fishn or shootn....,, good on her ......

ratherbefishin, diesel and kev209 like this.
  8. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    We had to go back to the dealer today to sort a couple of things out, while we were there I had a better look at a small water mark under a window. I put my ignition key through the wall in a couple of spots under the window. This repair could be costly. We went back into the office told the salesman what I did, he said I can see you are not happy with the van, 3 things we can do, 1 is wait till another suitable van comes in, 2 he showed us another van but it was to big, or get your deposit back which we did. Top service and staff at the dealership.

9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    It's definitely a problem with a lot of older vans that used the Camec style windows, Kev. I've had the same issue with my Royal Flair poptop - water will get past both the window rubber seal and also the plastic window frame, the latter usually caused by water finding ingress from the top of the frame. The only way to prevent it is to periodically remove the entire window assembly and reseal with a quality sealant that remains flexible and doesn't go brittle.

Jeff

Tackleberry and kev209 like this.
  10. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    In my quest to catch that elusive trout that is at the top of my target list and also to venture into the realm of light spin fishing, I lashed out and bought some Joe's Flies.

Joe's Flies.jpg

Left to right - Joe's Favourite 1.2g, Black Wooly Bugger 1.7g, White Miller 1.2g.

I can just manage to cast the Wooly Bugger with my 2-4kg Samaki Zing using 6lb Fireline, but no hope of flicking the other two. I've got 2 options, add some split shot about 10 inches up the leader or buy a new ultra light rod …. for some strange reason I'm leaning towards option #2. :rolleyes:

Jeff

ratherbefishin, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  11. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    They look good Jeff. I would also go wirh the option of a lighter outfit. Not for the sake of buying something, more so for practicality. I don't like adding weight forward of the lure.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Team Diesel's technical advisor.

12. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    With cod season starting here in VIC and the price of swimbaits being what they are I decided I would import one to see what it is like. arrived today and looks good. will give it a swim Saturday.
    Cheers Jed

IMG_2061.JPG

13. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Hope my trouble and strife buys a van that means we will be going on holidays for once! Good of them to refund u I will get a van one day I am thinking of getting a fairly old one whith good chassis and running gear etc and rebuilding it. So it will be lightweight whith all the mod cons, lots of rod racks:) and a small boat somewhere.

14. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Look like they would work well in a river or stream Jeff, I think wrapping some lead or copper wire around the straight wire part of the lure would get u the distance. good old no 1 celtas in green whith black stripes or red whith black stripes or just gold can work well for trout. The Jensen insect spinners are good as well.

15. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Hi all, here heres my latest purchase, I "needed" an action camera this got good reviews for a cheapo, didn't want to go as far as a go pro 7 or 8.
    Comes whith waterproof housing and lots of attachments and spare rear door for housing whith holes for I believe to let in sound. just need to find some action for it now! $176.00 delivered from amazon. Have some motorbike footage of Nowra motocross track if anyone interested. Akaso action camera 12 2 19.JPG

16. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Now, there's a thought - increase the weight with copper wire. Thanks Blair, great idea.

I had a few Celtas in my kit for years and ended up chucking them because I couldn't see a use for them with the type of fishing I was into. I bought a few Mepps earlier this year that are similar to the Celtas and yet to use them.

Jeff

kev209 likes this.
  17. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    The Mepps should work well , just get the colour right they were popular when I was a kid before I started trout spinning I used to find an old one snagged ocaisionally they have started making them again. Hope u get that trout soon I hope to be having a go up the snowy at end of the year good time for trout fishing.

diesel and kev209 like this.
  18. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    We both went shopping yesterday and purchased another van. A popup as before and it had just come into the yard and had not been detailed. To tell you the truth we thought it had. It has a new roll out awning a battery pack and a couple of other things fitted. We gave it a good look over and a couple of old water marks were the only things we found.
    Yesterday we checked out quite a few vans from Melbourne to Ballarat to Geelong this van was well above the standards of the others we looked at and we got it at a good price. It will be detailed [not much to do there] and a safety check carried out later this week. There's no rush as we have to transfer money between accounts at the bank which takes a few weeks. No photos as yet, I will post a couple when we pick it up. No I will not be towing it with our little Suzuki Ha, Ha, it is going on site.

ratherbefishin and diesel like this.
  19. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    well done kev, I have heard the pop ups tow well.

kev209 and diesel like this.
  20. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Most vans tow well if loaded correctly and the tow vehicle is up to the task, i.e. not exceeding it's legal towing capability. I've seen some absolute disasters waiting to happen in our travels and also quite a few disasters that have happened, mainly due to lack of experience in handling a caravan and also from pure stupidity.

I'm a firm believer that a caravan should never exceed the weight of the tow vehicle, but I would hazard a guess that with today's modern dual cabs having the ability to tow vans up to 3.5 tonnes, more than 50% of caravanners out on our roads today are definitely flirting with danger. Very few caravanners would be able to accurately say what the combined weight of their rig is because they have never gone to the trouble of going through a weigh bridge.

Jeff

ratherbefishin and kev209 like this.