1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Show us your purchases!

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rod Bender, Sep 5, 2016.

1. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    My Angler MT4144 and SnyderGlas MT8144 dont have open stripper guides it is more about the positioning of the guides key for the Alvey as line peels off with a much larger diameter, so they need to be higher up or have the stripper in place. Ive never used an Alvey rod with a stripper guide and most blokes I know who use Alvey exclusively put them on custom rods but anything out of the box not bothered.

diesel, kev209, blair and 2 others like this.
  2. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I have 2 Snyder Glas rods...Contessa model, around 9 foot long. I ordered them (without handling them) through a local tackle store. My hope was they would have a similar action to the 'Black Queen', but no.

I got them for bait fishing in impoundments...something I have not had a chance to do for a while. I am looking forward to trying the Contessa's after the fishing ban is lifted. Waranga Basin is on the rise with all this rain!
    Also, your 'Angler' rod has a similar model code to the snyder. Are they made by the same crowd (Wilson)?
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    May start chasing whiting in fresh water!

diesel, kev209 and blair like this.
  3. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    No, these are made with an NZ Killwell blanks not the SnyderGlas blanks which are Wilson owned but are nearly out of production as they only have a set amount of blanks left from when Dick Snyder passed away. Len Butterworth also made MT glass blanks which were either red, yellow or Black, whereas the SnyderGlas MT blanks were mostly red or black, with the occasional yellow or orange. The Angler models have a higher line rating than the Snyder/Butterworth equivalent... A traditional MT4144 has a line rating of 3-6kg whereas the Angler is rated 4-8kg and feels every bit of an 8kg rated rod but super light, which makes it perfect for Whiting, Bream, Drummer, Blackfish and also for chopper Taylor and Salmon.

FYI- the MT stands for multi-taper but there was also FSU and other variants depending on their action and what they were used for... I had an Angler 10' FSU5120 overhead many years ago which was 10-15kg and a full beast, it was a heavy jew and live baiting stick many used them back in the day for high-speed spinning/live baiting for tuna and big jews off the stones.

There are a few manufacturers who still make MT series rods- some are rated well above the original specs and some are a bit more realistic and confirm to the original specs of those made by SnyderGlas and Butterworth.
    FYI- Angler rods use Killwell blanks and gary Howards used to work for them before he started making his own rods for many years, he personally told me on FB when I was asking about the Angler rods that they are a quality rod with all good components - not just some fly by the night manufacturer. I am also led to believe they have some graphite FSU rods which are a different blank imported from the US, but I dont know what blanks they are- I would have to ask old Bobby at my local tackle shop he knows a lot about different rods and is a local legend who fished with the likes of Dick Lewers, John Calcutt and many of the founders of LBG. He is the president of the central coast GFC and also from the Umina Central FC and has a wealth of knowledge about everything local to the coast and sydney. You just gotta catch him when the shop is open, which aint very often.

diesel, kev209, blair and 1 other person like this.
  4. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    Funny you mention the "Black Queen" by JW, I had one when I was a kid which my Dad used and it was a great rod, I had it matched to a Daiwa Silver Series 4000c and 12lb mono. I also had a Mundoo and Shoalhaven with other Daiwa Silver Series reels on them ranging from 1000c to 7000c models. Caught loads of fish on them around Harrington and Crowdy Head- mostly flatties and bream/'ting/dart with the odd jew thrown in.

5. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I though for a tic (greenback 8-12kg) meant the size of tailor you were expecting to catch!

diesel, kev209 and reelaxation like this.
  6. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    I hope the greenbacks will arrive soon but I wont have that rod in time- so the MT8144 will have to suffice LOL

diesel and kev209 like this.
  7. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    ... And I just bought a 2nd hand Alvey 600c5 to go with the Breambo rod - so will load it with 10lb mono and put 6lb on the 500a so I will have the perfect combo's for both estuary and beach/rock fishing

YYYEEEWWW!!!!... $67 delivered and sent today via registered post...

I am sooooooooo excited cannot wait to receive my new kit-

FISH ON!!!

8. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I had a Len Butterworth Profisher 11'6" one piece, not sure of the line rating, but from memory it may have been 3 to 6 kg or even 4 to 7. I gave it to a bloke a couple of years ago and kicked myself ever since. I might have to seriously think about one of the GH Breambo 5W.

157).JPG Butterworth Profisher casting a dog as live bait.

Jeff

9. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    good sharkbait Jeff

kev209 and diesel like this.
  10. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Think pink.

They're on the way.
    Bubblegum worms.jpg
    Pink worms.jpg
    Pink - Pearl sliders.jpg
    Pink curley tails.jpg
    Team Pink
    ...thinking seriously about cultivating a pink man bun.

blair, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  11. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I like pink for trout Jeff. Seems to work well at times. It may be around spawning time. I think Rainbow trout develop a brighter reddish hue at the time. This may trigger a territorial strike from a fish. Either that or the trout will try to eat it or hump it! :cool: Either way, the trout is likely to hook up!

I prefer the plastics with some form of tail be it paddle or curltail. They look a lot better.

Orange also works well around spawning time as the trout will eat row. Just make sure you are not fishing in a closed area.

I lashed out today! A magazine and orange mono. I use the mono for backing.
    20200505_152930.jpg
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Color blind so it doesn't matter.

blair, diesel and kev209 like this.
  12. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I think the next place I have a crack at trout will be somewhere around the upper reaches of rivers near Adelaide and as far as I know, South Australia does not have closed seasons or bag limits for browns and rainbows although they do have a minimum size limit of 28cms. An old member from here, Tinker, fishes around the Adelaide Hills region for them and does reasonably well.

Jeff

Rod Bender, blair and kev209 like this.
  13. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    Alveys.jpg Finally received my 600c5 reel today, well used and has some battlescars but super stoked... So to celebrate I went and bought some Platypus Platinum 8 and 10lb. The 500a got the 300m of 8lb and will go on my GH Estuary 9' and the 600c5 got the 10lb going on a GH Breambo 3W... Now I just have to wait for Outback Adventures to send my rods, 13 days still not shipped but they are in stock... Have called them 4 times I have been assured that day on the truck but still waiting... I might be lucky to get them mid-winter at this rate LOL

blair, kev209, diesel and 1 other person like this.
  14. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    What part of the country are they coming from, Anthony? Seems a long time if it's NSW or Qld.

Jeff

blair and kev209 like this.
  15. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    Coming from Brisbane Jeff, originally I ordered the Breambo 4W and when I called them Wednesday last week they said they dont have any stock and GH cannot get reel seats and EVA grips from his supplier- so I told them I would go the 3W as it was i stock and the same price. They said it would be shipped the next day (Thursday), so when I didnt receive the tracking number today I called them again today. This time I was told last Friday they had issues with their freight company and it would be on its way this arvo- but I have my doubts. The 600 reel was sent from Northern QLD last Wed arvo and arrived todayvia normal post. Maybe they dont have any in stock, even though I was offered the choice in rod colour as they "supposedly" have 2 Breambo 3W in the shop.

Sadly I am feeling a bit bummed about the whole shebang but they are the ony shop in Oz to stock BOTH the Breambo and the Estuary rods, I tried Mo, Rayannes, Dinga, and all my local tackle shops and none stock GH any more or have limited stock of older rods.

I think I am going to have to call and not be so nice to get them to hurry up and send it - I have classes booked in for LMFSCC next weekend (now that COVID-19 restrictions allow me to have 2 people attend class) and I need them for that time.

diesel, blair and kev209 like this.
  16. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I've had the occasional dealing with suppliers that advertise an item as being available, but when it hasn't arrived within a reasonable time frame I find out that they didn't have the item. If they take your money for something that they don't have is fraud as far as I'm concerned.

I hope you get the rods and haven't been dudded. Have you dealt with that company previously?

Jeff

kev209 and blair like this.
  17. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    No Jeff never dealt with them but they were recommended on an Alvey FB page - I wont be dealing with them again lets just say that, regardless of the outcome and if I receive my rods or not... I could have ordered them through a local supplier and waited for 2-3days and gone grabbed them but I chose to buy straight away with no wait (apparently). I am super bummed I have had to follow up with 3 phone calls, only to have lame excuses made and told it will be in transit that day, still hasnt happened.

I asked the company via email if they cannot get the rods sent on freight TODAY I want a full refund.

Maybe my email will get some action- I care not for their "issues" with their freight company nor do I care for excuses, I paid double freight for 2 rods I could have paid in fuel from a newcastle based tackle shop. It looks like I will be looking for 2 new rods in the coming days if I dont feel satisfied with their response.

diesel, blair and kev209 like this.
  18. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    FINALLY they are on their way!!!! YIPPEE!!!
    ... Small consolation for all the following up I had to do, I even had to call them after I sent email coz they just never bothered to call me back to update me... Very bad customer service I wont be using them to buy any tackle again, which is a shame because they are the only shop in Australia who stocks Gary Howard Alvey rods, and I would have bought more but I think my next purcahse will be from old Bobby @ West Gosford bait and tackle - he gives good old fashioned service and even though he doesnt stock "brand name" rods he stocks quality rods at affordable prices.

Rant over LOL

19. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Bob got me the silstar transverse x rods built many moons ago he knows his rods. I have been waiting 10 weeks for some stuff to come from china they are claiming the virus is stopping the cargo planes , straight after I communicated whith them recently the tracking disappeared off post website, so if not here soon will be asking for refund. don't buy anything off my deal they inferred the item was in Sydney on website.

reelaxation, kev209 and diesel like this.
  20. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    I agree Blair, and besides I would rather support a local shop like WGBT than some chain like BCF - but I have to admit convenience of BCF and Freddies means I dont have to wait for Bobby to be open- I understand the virus and his health issues mean he cannot open the shop but if he was open when I was looking around I wouldnt have bought the GH rods... So they better be bloody awesome rods roflroflrofl

kev209, diesel and blair like this.