1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Show us your purchases!

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rod Bender, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    The yellow one...I purchased it to use in discoloured water. I have caught cod on a similar coloured spinnerbait. The purple one...perhaps my favourite as well and I'm not too fussed about the yellow. The black and red one...I am hoping for a monster redfin eventually. But at this point, I am trying to snare my first yella on a lure. I may be going out tomorrow and I know the water will be a bit murky...the yellow one may be my first choice but also thinking I should just use soft plastics.

I don't have a UV torch but have checked out some lures in a tackle store with one. It is interesting to see the different colours under the UV light.

Also, welcome to the site bluefin.
    Cheers
    Jim

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    creekboy and kev209 like this.
  2. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    with all this super line stuff this is exactly why i don't look at weight ratings any more i just go by dia

3. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Purchased a bit online last night.

First up was some new 30lb Fluorocarbon, this will be spooled on a reel for a very special purpose (read on for more info!)

[​IMG]

Next was a spool of GLISS, which will be going on one of my cod outfits. It sucks that they go from 25lb and then jump to 42lb, decided on the 42 due to it's tiny diameter.

Now these, these excite me! Cod opening will be fished on Blowering this year, so I was after some big swimbaits to fish, the fluorocarbon above is actually for the rod dedicated to throwing these big baits - braid has no stretch so it's not uncommon to snap off these lures on the cast if you get a backlash, so I needed the fluoro so that I've got a bit of impact absorption if it's required.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are 200mm 3oz baits and have a line through system so the hook can be rigged on the top or the bottom, I REALLY wanted the 400mm jobbies but I don't have a rod capable of handling a 7-8oz bait at the moment!

Anyway, cod season is getting near and I'm KEEN AS!

Sam

4. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    just so you know this is not proper fluorocarbon it is coated nylon .

5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Two days ago, I managed to cross one item off my wishlist - I spent about an hour wandering around the Mo Tackle store in Coffs Harbour. It was a truly mind boggling experience and one that all serious fishos should put on their list if travelling through this part of the country.

Did I buy anything? Sure did, I lashed out and spent $10 on a packet of jigheads - wasn't game to go for anything else as the wife was sitting in the car waiting for me. She has the vision of a sea eagle when it comes to me exiting a tackle shop and although I have gotten away with some sneaky purchases, rods & reels are a bit hard to keep out of sight. I think I might invest in one of those old army greatcoats for such an occasion.

Jeff

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  6. Slipper1

Slipper1 Member

Nov 3, 2016
    IMG_0158.JPG I had a rushed trip to a couple tackle stores yesterday morning and managed to raid some gear for an upcoming trip to Mallacoota. Found a few of my favourite plastics and some others that just looked too good not to try. A couple of ecogear blades and a few hard bodies should keep me happy.

Like Sam I'm also looking forward to cod season (particularly next winter) so i had to add to the swimbait collection with a lucky craft Real Ayu.
    Bring on the big cod.

7. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Tckleberry, I am aware of that. i wanted copolymer, but the FC coating made it appeal a bit more

8. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    yep more stretch , FC has a tendency to stress without much stretch and then bang

9. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Yep, that's it. Nice work on the lucky craft slipper.

Bought a dedicated swimbait rod last night! Can't wait for it to arrive! Also bought a new handle for the millionaire, bring on the 8oz swimbait! !

10. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Was going to ask what rod you and slipper use?

11. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    I just bought an 8' OneThree Black Defy Swimbait rod.

Rated to cast lures up to 8oz and a bit longer to help with casting distance.

[​IMG]

I'M SO EXCITED FOR IT TO ARRIVE!

Sam

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  12. Slipper1

Slipper1 Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Haha. I've been looking at the same rod Sam. Let me know how they go

I've just been using my normal 6ft cod gear (loomis and diawa heartlander) which has been way to small and light for the big stuff. Will be buying a big one soon

13. strikem

strikem Active Member

May 5, 2008
    @ Skipx............Next was a spool of GLISS
    Best to give it away to someone else,all reviews and test show it breaks under the rated breaking strain only able to manage 50- 70% strength depending which LB is purchased.
    I was very keen on this as it sold at a local tackle shop but it failed tests miserably,you would be better of with Nanofil.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    creekboy, kev209 and skipzx like this.
  14. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    all that plus the thinner the braid the less abrasion resistance it has and i assume you will be will
    be fishing snags .

creekboy, kev209 and skipzx like this.
  15. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    For what it cost I'll have a play with it and if I'm not happy then pull it off and buy another spool.

I've been meaning to get it for a while and a lot of what I've read is that knots tend to fail due to slippage... I'm mildly confident that it won't be such a big issue with the FG I tend to use, or uni to uni.

I'll play and make a decision on it, I don't like to take people's word on it and would prefer to see what I can find out by myself. I usually have a spool of braid on the boat anyway, so I can always strip it and switch it if it's not up to par (had bad experiences with some braids - Sunline you can get an awesome spool or a real dud).

But trust me, as someone who routinely busts 30 or 40lb braid whilst tying the FG knot, if it busts at less pressure then it won't even get a gander on a trip.

At least with the 42lb I have a larger margin for error, if I lose 30% of the line strength and I'm still at 30lbs then I'll be happy with it.

As for the abrasion resistance, it's meant to be more resistant than braid because it's not a braided line, rather it's a single strand (I think - not sure on how they manufacture it 100% at the moment).

If it's no good I'll just grab another spool of something, it's only 20 bucks.

Slipper, I'll definitely let you know how it goes mate, it cost me about $150 landed in Australia from the states, so it's pretty reasonable for a rod I'll use half a dozen times a year.

Cheers,

Sam

16. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    So I had to change plans slightly RE the rod. It wasn't due for delivery until January which is a bit late for my purposes.

So I reordered and got a Daiwa DX Swimbait rod.

Was a little bit more but I'll have it in a week.

Also, can I say that the customer service from Tacklewarehouse in the states is sensational! They get back to emails quickly and nothing is too much trouble for them.

Big fan, and VERY fast postage - price is good too. $37 US to send an 8ft rod to Australia is pretty reasonable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Slipper1

Slipper1 Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Hey Sam

Yeah I seen the one3 rods were on pre order but thought they mustn't of been far off. I'll be needed mine for next winter so I'll probably wait. $37 is incredible. It would probably cost more to send one around Aus

Mat

18. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Yeah the post is crazy!

Keen to see this. My cod opening plan has gone to pot a bit. Looks like it's a family day out so all those swimbaits won't get as much use as planned, ahhh well, it happens sometimes!

Cheers,

Sam

19. strikem

strikem Active Member

May 5, 2008
    Picked up a couple Stadic's a 1000 and 2500 running braid on both,mostly beach fishing or a mates boat.Went into B.C.F today to buy some water shoes and walked out with another rod.lol.
    Got a Diawa Certate on it's way which should arrive tomorrow but may have made a mistake in ordering the wrong size,i'll see when it gets here 17112016333.jpg

20. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Ooooh very nice! Placed a new Sb order for cod season I'M SO EXCITED!