1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Side cast twist

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by kev209, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    This stuff is out of my shot gun league.
    Read recently of the longest recorded snipper shot was by a pom who took a bloke out at something well over a mile away. It was not long ago.
    As said, the mathematics are incredible.
    Unbelievable.

Noel.

blair and kev209 like this.
  2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    A sniper with Canada's elite special forces in Iraq has shattered the world record for the longest confirmed kill shot in military history at a staggering distance of 3,540 metres

kev209, Tackleberry and Old fisho like this.
  3. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I think that's the one I read. Couldn't get my head around it.
    Answered that without looking at the vid.
    The previous record would be what I saw.
    Noel

4. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Noel no maths needed ...... have a look in the pic and you will see what I use for all this .
    The tablet has a ballistics program you just put in the atmospherics temp pressure wind strength direction and altitude, the green thing is a kestrel wind meter it does temp and barro as well and a temp gun for ammo temp the laser range finder is on the bonnet , you put all the data in to the tab and it gives you the elevation and windage in MOA (minute of angle) then just dial it up on the turrets and wait for the breeze to settle to the same that you felt when you took all the mesurments and then take the shot .
    We put up our targets at unknown ranges and see how long it takes to enter the data and get the shot off I'm down to under a minute on average......

[​IMG]

blair, kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  5. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    That's somewhat different to my days at the traps tac.
    At best I used to get a second barrel away in .3 of a second.
    Of course that was faster than many other guys but it also had to hit the target.
    Most targets were lost by shooting behind. The most usual cause was slowing the gun. It had to be kept swinging, and mostly faster than the first barrel.
    Of course we never looked at the gun. They were built/modified until they simply pointed where you looked when mounted to your shoulder.
    Never was a rifle shot. Too deliberate for me. I had to shoot by reflex.
    Hence I could snapshot a duck in the gap between two trees. If I saw it coming half a km away, I'd likely miss it.
    My brothers were the opposite.
    Noel.

blair, kev209 and Tackleberry like this.
  6. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    2 Australian Snipers fired simultaneously at a Taliban leader approximately 3079 yards away. One was a fatal shot, but it can't be proven which sniper fired that shot.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    blair and Old fisho like this.
  7. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Apparently line twist on Alveys can be reduced or totally eliminated with the use of swivels. As far as I'm concerned, one of the biggest disadvantages with the Alvey reel is having to guide the line on with your hand when you wind. I guess the line lay will be all over the place if you don't.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Lazy fisho!

blair likes this.
  8. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Swivels will stop line twist to a certain extent, but they can be useless after awhile through the wear and tear of the lake bed. I use swivels on my spinning reels as well.
    I only probably run my finger backwards on forwards every couple of turns or so on my Alveys. Making sure I don’t run up the lip of the spool and a fraction more higher at the back. With a fish on I just twist the rod back and forth sideways to lay the line right or wrong.
    • Wally

blair likes this.
  9. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Hate swivels unless trolling.
    My strongest belief:
    I never put anything on a fishing line if it can be used without it.
    Fanatical Old fisho Noel