1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Side console boat

Discussion in 'Boats' started by Garfield28, Dec 7, 2019.

1. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I have had a 4.6 meter webster bassmaster center console whith 90hp etec since 2003 and am still happy whith it I doubt I will ever buy another boat had a 4.2 quinine hornet before that and various fiberglass mono and twin hulls.
    The top ender was my second choice I think the bassmaster will give a dryer ride definatly more stability good deckspace good casting platforms and storage and will handle anything an alpine lake can dish up (I think). Good build quality I mostly ocean fish in it so It gets a bit of a pounding. is built stronger than pre or early 2003 models.
    It is a good all rounder but not cheap. The etec has been good as well.

Garfield28 and kev209 like this.
  2. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Thanks for the reply mate.

I've been starting to think the Formosa side console boats might be better built. I notice from the pics the Quintrex, the Stacer and the Savage side console boats are all stitch welded but the Formosa is fully welded. Bit more expensive, but may be well worth it in the long run.

kev209 likes this.
  3. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I will have a look at the formosas when I next feel like looking at boats. will stick whith my webster but.

kev209 likes this.
  4. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Has anyone got a bowrider boat they use for fishing? With the front seating arrangement, I've seen a few pics where they have taken the cushions out and put in an infill to make a casting deck. some seem quite roomy in the back too. My only concern is can you somehow mount an electric motor though.

blair and kev209 like this.
  5. Dickson

Dickson Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2019
    Not sure why the wouldn't fully weld them it is literally a matter of a few minutes extra.

6. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Me other but they don't. I just had a look at a formosa side console and the build quality isn't even close to the others. Looks a very well built boat,I'd certainly feel more confident going offshore in it over the pressed boats.

Dickson, blair and kev209 like this.
  7. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2019
    I've got a mate with a 620 Tomahawk center cab and it's a weapon of a boat; really well made, really nicely finished and come with some nice features (e.g. self draining deck). My only complaint would be that it doesn't have the at-rest stability I'd want in a boat that size; a trade off for being awesome through the swell. You can get around this with the Sea Rod models, which have flooding ballast chambers, but it gets more expensive (actually, after a quick look at Formosa's site, maybe all their boats come with a chambered hull now; depends on whether they all have the 'SRT' hull).

At any rate, for what it's worth, I definitely rate Formosa's......be my second choice after a Stabi... :)

8. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Yeah look more of a inside/outside option but the 455 I looked at didn't have a great of storage and there wasn't even a kill tank.

kev209 likes this.
  9. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Anyone here fish outside in a side console?

blair, Tackleberry and kev209 like this.
  10. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Not a side console but I fish 10 12 nautical miles offshore in this .

[​IMG]

11. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Crazy Tackleberry

I'm so bloody confused! I want a side console for fishing, but on the other hand I want a good sized bowrider so there's plenty of seating for the family and plus a little cover if there's an early start cold morning driving into the freezing cold.

Tackleberry and kev209 like this.
  12. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I would go for a center console whith removable fold down canopy

kev209 and Tackleberry like this.
  13. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Its not the size of the boat in the ocean that counts it's the size of the skipper .
    30 + years ago I had a very good teacher .

Everything about boats is a compromise......

kev209 likes this.
  14. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I will second that;)

Tackleberry and kev209 like this.
  15. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm starting to lean towards a centre console now. If I could get a decent size one with a rear seat also a double seat/storage or Esky seat in the cockpit a live tank and a decent kill tank with a late model 4 stroke and drive on trailer , that would be the one I'd want. I can stretch to 35k for listed wishlist in it. I may have to wait and be patient though

kev209 likes this.
  16. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    yep be patient, esky seats are good, lots of underfloor storage as well I will send pics of my rig.

kev209 likes this.
  17. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    You will be looking at a 5m plus if you want all that ......
    I had a quintrex fishfinder 5m years ago and 85hp was just enough ......

kev209 likes this.
  18. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    This is the one i had they are very rear as it has the wide consol and there were two pedestal seats for the back as well so seating for 5 as there was a seat in front of the consol as well ......

[​IMG]

Garfield28, blair and kev209 like this.
  19. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Garfield28 this a vid of my boat going fishing for the day on the 6 mile reef ......
    Just the first bit as the rest of it is just me stumbling around the boat fishing ......

Garfield28, blair and kev209 like this.
  20. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Lots of snapper there much the same on the reefs around here. I use 10kg mono blue leader about 6 meters + long on 15kg braid. I have had more luck from an anchored boat drifting a lightly or unweighted bait down a burley trail whith bail arm open for the bigger ones , usually. Don't go out reef bashing very often. Also have a 2 gang hook paternoster whith pilchards straight down which acts as a berley trail as well.
    A slow current from the north usually gets me best results.
    Your tinnie has good stability, I though that seal wanted to get rammed there for a second must like playing chicken whith boats!! bloody pests they are.

Garfield28 and Tackleberry like this.