1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Side console boat

Discussion in 'Boats' started by Garfield28, Dec 7, 2019.

1. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Heres a pic of my Bassmaster, sometimes I stand on the cutting board while flyfishing. Webster Bassmaster 23 1 20.JPG

2. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Thanks for the replies guys and the pics heaps appreciated.

So bloody draining and confusing picking a boat. I've changed my mind a 100 times just this last week!

I don't want to fish outside all the time and even in my big boat I much prefer a calm-ish day as it just makes the whole experience that much more enjoyable. I think I really want the side console as I will probably 85% of the time be fishing in the bay or rivers and I want to get an electric motor for it too.
    Hey Blair, how do you rate your ETEC mate? I can get a 2015 top Ender with a 2015 75HP with 36 hours

kev209 likes this.
  3. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Really good motor good on fuel and quiet. use xd100 oil they they need to be mapped to use xd100 , most etecs will be setup to use xd100. using xd50 oil is no good in cold wheather until it is warmed up. I like the top enders.

kev209 and Garfield28 like this.
  4. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Thanks mate that's reassuring because a lot of the boats Ive been looking at have the ETEC and I notice they have more enemies than friends in most post Ive read. Not always sure if it's 4stroke blokes just bashing them or if they are a legitimate lemon motor in most cases

kev209 likes this.
  5. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I do my own servicing/maintenance. they don't need much. No matter what brand of engine they would have problems If I let most of the mechs around here near them.

kev209, Garfield28 and Tackleberry like this.
  6. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Sounds like here I haven't payed for a service in more than 20 years

kev209, Garfield28 and blair like this.
  7. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    But you would have had it serviced to keep your warranty wouldn't have you Blair?
    Do they use much of the oil that you specifically have to put in the etecs?

kev209 likes this.
  8. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I ma not sure outboard engine dealers can force u to use them to do servicing to keep "warranty" same as car dealers. It is a conflict of interest. Have a look on forums the amount of trouble people have whith dealers "servicing"cars etc. I bought a new ute and bought it in for its 1st free service and found a deliberately caused problem that could have become serous after fwit mechanic was let near it, another person who had their car serviced there was suing them for damage last I heard and I don't blame them.
    They certainly want you to have them "service" it to keep the money rolling in. The etec only needs serving every 300 hours or 3 years if I remember correctly, I check/service it yearly,not much to check. I just change the gearbox oil once a year and the spark plugs about every third year.
    Etecs use very little oil. a weekends fishing may be half a liter depending what you are doing.
    Depends on your level of mechanical knowledge ,etec outboard serving is basic two stroke level. you can do anything whith you tube these days.

Tackleberry and kev209 like this.
  9. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Wish I were mechanically minded but I'm pretty useless when it comes to cars, mowers, whippersnippers boats etc.
    The Top-ender I am looking at has 36 hours but is 5 years old too so out of warranty, but if I could do it myself and save on the cost of servicing that would be an added bonus.
    I have come across a 460 Renegade demo model with a 75hp ETEC on it that has done 20 hours, so it is basically brand new boat and motor package that I can get for 25k. If is unpainted but so not sure if that is something I should avoid, I'm not sure if makes it hotter to touch on a beaming sunny day or if it can cause other dramas.... Very tempting though. It has hydraulic steering, and a easy catch on the boat also.

10. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I would go for the one whith the most underfloor storage and most deckspace, I looked at a youtube vid on the 2015 topender looked good, whith the 9 extra features . They look like very similar boats don't know what size topender you mentioned but the 460 renegade looked very roomy in overhead shot, also which one gives you the driest ride (spray ) in choppy conditions.
    I think the side console may lean to one side a bit whith one person aboard and not painted may get a bit hotter.
    I think you could do the two stroke maintenance easily other blokes on this forum would be happy to give advice as well, I am obviously a two stroke fan.

Garfield28 and kev209 like this.
  11. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    It is Actuly a painted tinny that causes dramas not unpainted .......

blair, Garfield28 and kev209 like this.
  12. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Thanks Blair.

Here's a link to both boats

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2019-quintrex-460-renegade-sc/OAG-AD-18309888/?Cr=0 $25k

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2015-quintrex-481-top-ender-sc/SSE-AD-6441489/?Cr=8 Wants 27k

Cheers Tackleberry, I wasn't sure if it is a bad think to have it unpainted.

Above is the link for both boats mate, which one for you?

blair and kev209 like this.
  13. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    I know what tinnys are like so I would go the biggest one you can afford ......

14. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    So is that the Top-Ender Tackle or are you saying I should look for something bigger mate like a 530 or something around that length?
    Cheers mate

kev209 likes this.
  15. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Yes the topender . But if you can afford a bigger hull go for that as when you get 3 or more on board you will appreciate the room and the better ride for the people that aren't used to what boats do ......

16. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Thanks Tackleberry..
    Unfortunately mate at present the 481 fits my budget so I'm going to go with that one. I'd love to be able to spend a bit more but can only cough up the 25k. I'll try and save a bit too so I can buy an electric for it down the track as well as a couple other things to pump it a bit.

I only hope the Top-Ender looks as good in the flesh as it does in the pics. I was so close to choosing the Renegade just for the warranty, but I get a bit bigger hull and some extras I'd have to buy with the Top-Ender like a VHF radio, a step ladder at the rear, a transom door, a sounder anchor etc. I also live in NSW so if I'm on my own I'll have to wear a life jacket in a boat under 4.8, no biggie but just little things make it a little better. I wish I had some more money and there was a 5.10 or 5.30 in my price range.

kev209, blair and Tackleberry like this.
  17. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Don't just buy it on my say so if a warranty is something that will make you more comfortable go that way , I just wouldn't like to see you get something and have a problem and be left high and dry ......

Garfield28, kev209 and blair like this.
  18. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I would go for the topender, bigger more comfortable. motor should be good fairly new. what part of nsw do u live in?
    I am on the central coast. most rec boats don't have many hours on them.

Tackleberry, Garfield28 and kev209 like this.
  19. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Me neither Tackleberry, I was keen on the one with warranty as it was piece of mind. It's such a hard decision.

I live in Port Stephens Blair but the Top-Ender I am going to look at is at Pennant Hills but he was going to meet me tomorrow at Apple Tree Bay to have a look and test drive.

20. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Never buy a boat without a test drive same as a car take it out see how it responds to trim and run it through it's paces ...... Just make sure you have 10+ knots of breeze so you can tell how it handles , no good testing on flat water .

kev209 and Garfield28 like this.