1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Singles or Trebles

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by jedgpz, Mar 2, 2020.

1. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Changing over some of my lures to single hooks or assist hooks rather than trebles.

What are your thoughts as to single hooks and what are you using?

Cheers Jed

Singles.jpg

blair, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I played around with singles on some of my hard bodies and vibes with no improvement to the catch rate, but I did get a better hook-up rate with top water lures by replacing the rear treble with assist hooks.

For light lures such as Bassday Sugapen 70 & 95, I use Atomic Trick Bitz size 10 and with my barra surface lures I use VMC 7274AH 3/0. Decoy and Gamakatsu market some quality stingers also.

Jeff

3. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Hey Jeff,
    I have not done any of my Surface lures yet but will give it a go.
    Thinking of trying assist hooks on my swimbaits too.
    Cheer
    Jed

4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Ideally, if you can observe the action of the lure in the water both before and after changing from trebles to singles or assists, you get a better idea of whether or not you have stuffed up the dynamics. Changing the weight of hooks on diving lures can often lead to decreased or increased action that may be bad or good.

Because swimbaits rely on a life like action to imitate whatever it is supposed to represent, I would be careful with changing to a setup that nullifies the action. Have you got a swimming pool or know someone who has one so that you can check lure movement in the water?

Jeff

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  5. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    True,
    I make all my own swimbaits and have taken time and effort to get the weight right in them so they swim the way that I want them to. It may be a case of adjusting the lead amount and placement that I use. I guess this is one advantage of making your own lures.
    I have a mega bass swimbait that I up graded the trebles on and it took from a floating lure to a slow sinking one, which is my preference when chasing Murray Cod.
    I will be experimenting soon.
    Cheers Jed

6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I had forgotten that you make your own lures - CRAFT disease :confused:.

Did you happen to send one of your lures to Robbie Alexander of YouTube fame? I watched a video he put on his channel recently where he received a lure that looked damn near identical to one you posted here on the forum a while back.

Jeff

blair, ratherbefishin and kev209 like this.
  7. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Hey Jeff
    Yep that was one of mine.
    Hope to see him smash a cod on one ha
    Cheer Jed (AKA TLK lures).

8. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2019
    For whatever it's worth, I've swapped out the trebles from my hard bodies (Sugapens, Suga Deeps, Double Clutches and some assorted randoms) to singles or singles with assists. The primary reason is that I nearly destroyed the mouth of a flattie trying to remove the trebles the first time I brought one in with a hard body (historically I've use soft plastics). Fortunately we were keeping it, but I didn't miss the fact that I'd have basically maimed it if we'd had to return it. I guess there's some technique to it, but after probably 3-4 minutes of messing around, I couldn't get the damn treble out cleanly and it was an ugly situation. Given I actually like fish as creatures, I didn't figure further experimentation to improve my treble removal skills was reasonable.

Since making the change I've not noticed a change in hookup rate (for better or for worse), though bear in mind that my hookup rate is generally pretty rubbish so it's hard to tell. It's also important to note that I'm not yet smart enough to really know whether the action has been affected or not....swimming them, they still seem to have good action but it's entirely plausible I'm missing something. However, I definitely find the de-hooking process less traumatic for both the fish and myself, so I'll be sticking with it. :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    Robert Stone, blair, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Trebles can be rather vicious on the mouths of fish and practically all the damage occurs when removing the hook/s.
    One way to alleviate the damage is to go barbless, especially if targeting a species that you intend to release. I have a passion for clear water fishing chasing jungle perch and sooty grunter, 2 species that I always release and all of my lures are barbless. I lose more fish than I actually land, but I can walk away at the end of a session knowing that every fish hooked will live to fight another day.

Jeff

10. ratherbefishin

Sep 9, 2019
    Barbless is a darn good idea; I didn't consider that when I decide to swap the trebles out.
    Each time we head out, we're always looking to get a feed (a function of rarely coming home with one :)), but our inexperience ends up with a heap of by-catch as I'm still learning how to properly target a species. That said, we're never in a survival situation, so loosing a fish due to slack line on barbless hooks is by no means the end of the world.
    As I get better at finding the right spots and hooking up, I'll pay more attention to hook up vs catch rate and if it seems like the singles are loosing a lot of fish I'll definitely give the barbless trebles a crack.
    Thanks for sharing the wisdom. :)

11. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Another mod that has worked for me on some of my 'catch & release' lures is to turn a treble into a double by cutting off one gape. I got the idea after buying a couple of blades that had doubles instead of trebles, can't remember the brand, but they may have been Savage Gear. They are certainly easier to remove from a fish than a treble.

WIN_20200305_06_30_29_Pro.jpg

Jeff

12. ratherbefishin

Sep 9, 2019
    Nice....thanks mate....reckon I'll try that before barbless actually. It's definitely that third hook which caused me all the grief, as it prevented any vertical movement without inducing further damage.

blair and kev209 like this.
  13. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    I have used these in the past.
    [​IMG]
    Image is from wish
    50 for $7
    ha

14. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    That's them Jed, the same as the hooks on the blades I bought.

WIN_20200305_15_57_40_Pro.jpg

I tried to get some of the hooks, but couldn't find them anywhere. The butchered trebles work okay.

Jeff

15. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    diesel, blair and kev209 like this.
  16. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Thanks for that Jed, I'll check them out.

Jeff

17. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    For natives, I generally stick with trebles, but have crimped the barbs. To me single hooks come into play when you are trying to hold onto fish which jump like trout, when fishing in water like this! And to a lesser extent, if you are trying to avoid snags.
    cat close up.JPG
    I had a poor catch rate with normal trebles on Rapala lures that I was using at the time. And it would break my heart to see sometimes 60 cm plus models (trout) parting ways with the treble. So I tried singles. It is a bit of a balancing act with the finer minnow lures but you can get it to swim with the right size hook. What I did find, when hooked on a single, I had more chance of holding onto the fish!
    April trout 4.JPG
    A Rapala CD 1 fitted with a single hook caught this 40 ish cm small brown. But then, for whatever reason, I started losing fish again! With hindsight, it may have coincided with me purchasing a new rod that was a bit stiffer and had less shock absorption. I tried, and still do, holding the rod tip down when fighting the fish...this helps as it seems to lessen the amount of time the trout 'dance' up top.

Around the same time, I noticed another aspect of using singles. A large brown following my lure in and then slapping it with its cheek. Always had an idea they do something like this (stunning their prey or just sending a clear message to it to p$%^ off). I, as in others here have no doubt caught fish which have been hooked in the cheek. I think there is a good chance you will miss the odd fish with singles.

On a side note, whilst the the fishing at this place has been ordinary for the last several years, the last time I had a great tussle there I reverted back to trebles on the suggestion of a member on another forum. I used Decoy Y-S25 trebles. I gave them a shot once...hooked a solid, possibly 60 cm plus brown in the water pictured above and held on for dear life. You can not let them run there and you have to stop them in their tracks as there are several 'gutters' about 15 metres downstream. The positive aspect...it did not 'spit' the hook. The negative aspect...it broke the line!:cool: I had to smile as I had solved the problem of 'hook spitting' trout!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Was catching trout at the above spot since the mid eighties...didn't need the internet then to figure that out!:)

blair and diesel like this.
  18. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    That's a wild looking stretch of water Jim and I would have thought that it was too turbulent for Rapala Countdowns, but I've only ever used them in calm conditions so don't really know how they perform in fast water.

Jeff

blair and Rod Bender like this.
  19. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    And you would be correct!:cool: They will roll and tumble in this water for the first few metres...then they reach slightly less turbulent water, even the water to the right of the pic and the water offside, down the bottom left of the pic, and behave a bit more normal. The initial tumble before regaining composure would imitate a small minnow coming over the falls me thinks.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Believes perfect lure action is only required in slow flowing water!

20. Robert Stone

Robert Stone Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2017
    I use singles. Beach fishing I use two assist hooks. Seems to work okay