1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Soft Plastics

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by maraudingmado, Aug 24, 2005.

1. maraudingmado

maraudingmado New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Just starting to try using soft plastics and was wondering what everyone thought was "the best" soft plastic they have used. Mainly be targetting bream and bass/E.P's. Using different lures in the past I have picked up other species than what I was targetting e.g. flathead, tailor

2. cvbass

cvbass New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    We have had quite good results with a few different berkley soft plastics, incuding the Power Grub, and Bungee Worm. Berkely seem to have the best range and quality of soft plastics that I have used so far.. What plastics are you using maraudingmado?
    Has anyone had any experience with Berkley Gulp! baits? For those who havnt heard about these, this is the link http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/Ca...evious=Products

3. tex

tex New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    My personal favourite is the Squidgy Fish 65mm in Silver Fox colour with the pink hot tail, however I have only had good success on Flathead with this plastic. For bass/ep's I'd use the Berkley Powerbait Bass Minnows or Gulp! minnows, I know that the Gulp in Pumpkinseed is magic on the local Bream up here :p I'd also give the Squidgy Bugs a workout in the warmer months, all that surface activity is bound to get you a few strikes.

Cheers,

Craig

4. TheBream

TheBream New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    yeh craig i would also agree with the bass minnows are maybe if not the top plastic for bass (including up here mate! might need to take ya for a fish sometime and show ya a few spots)
    i also like the squidgy range of lures for all types of fishing and those sqidgy bugs are gun top water lures for bass bream and anything else around ;)
    i don't mind the gulps and have had a bit of succese however just doesn't feel like a lure should
    apart from them i also like eco gear and snapbacks (those snapbacks are deadly on snapper)

5. tex

tex New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Yes TheBream,
    I know what you mean about the Gulps, they really are pushing the envelope as they are more like a bait than a lure. The Snapbacks are an awesome lure, I reckon they'd be real good for the Jewies around here.
    I might just take you up on that offer of seeing some of ya secret spots too. There are some locals getting some very big bass out at Wingham at the moment, one specimen went over 60cm...now that's a good river fish! :-o

6. TheBream

TheBream New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    yeh a mainly fish the macleay river but the thing i like about both these rivers is that all the bas are wild bass and never been stocked before and that being the case they seem to fight harded or it may just be the big buzz i get from catching them

this weekend if it stays blowie like this i will be heading up to the macleay for a hit on them but if by some mirical it blows it self out i plan on going out wide on the troll for some of these yellowfin that should be heading back north

7. cvbass

cvbass New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Either of you guys used the berkley powerbaits?? the ones that come in the jars??
    anyone had any success with them?? I have looked at them alot but never been game enough to try them out :)

8. TheBream

TheBream New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    haven't tryed anything from a jar for a long time
    but in the berkley range i have used the powerbait grubs (and between you and me some of them are killers on both the bream and flathead) also used the powerbait bass minnows (drop shots) and also the powerbait power hawgs (lake a bass minnow but it has more danggly bits best way to use the hawgs are unwaited on a worm hook)
    and ofcourse the berkley gulps

9. cvbass

cvbass New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Sweet, well i Might go a pick some up and give em a try tomorrow if i get some time
    thanks TheBream, looks like youve had fun with the plastics :)

10. tex

tex New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Sorry :oops: .. just revisited this thread. Berkley Powerbait(In Jars) is a gun freshwater bait, when fishing for trout I always use a two hook rig, one with worms on and the other with a Powerbait Nugget. The Rainbow coloured ones seem to work best, and also leaves bright yellow stain on ya fingers once wet. :grin: Also have had good success using them on a normal running sinker rig, however use a trace of about a foot in length and thread a small polystyrene foam ball onto the trace, this will make your bait sit off the bottom above the weedbeds....absolutely deadly!

11. cvbass

cvbass New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    sweet, thanks tex, im definately gunna give em a go now :)