1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Sounds good to me

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by kev209, Mar 3, 2019.

1. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    • Target One Million - Phase 2
      The State Government has extended its commitment to recreational fishers in Victoria, building on its Target One Million plan grow participation to one million anglers by 2020.

[​IMG]
      • Release more native fish including Murray cod, golden perch and silver perch into suburban lakes such as Rowville, Lilydale, Karkarook, Casey Fields, Navan Park, Roxburgh and Melton;
    • This sounds great to me Navan Park is about a 5 minute drive. It says Melton; there are 2 other lakes not far from home Darlingsford Lake, and another small one at West Lakes plus the Melton Weir. If I was a betting man my money would be on Darlingsford Lake.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    diesel, creekboy and blair like this.
  2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    That does sound good.local fisho's will save money on fuel, and can spend more for tackle and bait. :):):)

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    How do they monitor the number of rec fishos in the Target One Million campaign, Kev?

I assume that they would get some idea based on the number of fishing licences issued, but that only covers those who are not exempt. Do they survey the population in a given area to get a representative figure and then apply the findings to the rest of the state or is it just pure guesswork?

I'm not knocking the idea of getting more people interested in fishing. Apart from the fact that it increases pressure on some areas, it is a good move by your state govt to help the economy. There is definitely a need for more voices out there to raise issues related to rec fishing.

Back in the mid 90's, the estimated number of rec fishos in Australia was approximately 4 million with fishing being the most popular leisure activity. Here we are nearly 25 years later where the estimated figure has dropped to somewhere near 3 million and rec fishing rates well down the list of popular leisure activities. As a group, rec fishos contribute more to the economy than most of the other activities combined, yet we usually have to fight tooth & nail to get a fair deal from govt on a lot of issues. Your state govt gets a thumbs up from me.

Jeff

blair, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  4. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Recently it was suggested that all pensioners and people exempt from holding a fishing licence, purchase a licence for a minimal fee of between $2 and $5 just to cover the costs involved in issuing them. I agree this would be a more accurate way of obtaining stats. I wouldn't object to paying $5 a year for a licence but for some others that $5 would be hard to find. On talking fishing Tuesday night it was suggested that fishing licences have a renewal date the same as your shooters licence because every time you purchase a new licence it is a different number. As for the renewal date on fishing licences my personal opinion it won't work, as you have the option of a 3 day, 28 day, 1 or 3 year licences. Some people only wet a line on there holidays or when they take the kids out for the day.

Edited: 7/3/2019 7-38 PM. I have been told it was also suggested that pensioners and persons except from holding a fishing licence could receive a free licence so stats can be more accurate. This sounds great to me, with more accurate stats it would show how close to the target of one million anglers the Labour Government are.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    blair, diesel and creekboy like this.
  5. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    The increased pressure is being handled by record stocking of fish...even some salt water stocking in eustaries has been done.
    Cheers
    Team Bender

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  6. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    As far as I know fishing is the most popular recreational pastime in Australia, any politician wanting to get ahead would be a moron to not support fisho,s. oh there is a few who don't support fisho.s so they must be ………

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    It seems that those who compile the stats on recreational pastimes do not classify fishing as highly as they should. There are some lists that do not even rate fishing as a recreational activity or a pastime, but do list it as a hobby. We, who have a passion for fishing would certainly put up a damn good argument that it is far more than a hobby, in fact it is more a way of life than anything else and the amount of money that we contribute to the economy is certainly testament to that. There are many small seaside towns and hamlets that would not survive without the regular injection of cash from recreational fishos.

To me, a hobby is collecting stamps or sticking pins in butterflies or some similar useless activity. How dare they lump us in with that lot. :mad:

Jeff

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  8. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    A while back on the ABC I heard a Psychologist say that fishing was one of the most stressful pastimes.
    I can't remember ever having a stressful time fishing. Unless you count running out of beer, leaving your reels at home or the DH your best fishing mate invited along.

diesel, Missniss, creekboy and 2 others like this.
  9. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Funny I have found a few days fishing makes me totally unstressed us fisho,s must be mentally tough or something.

diesel, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  10. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Now it's looking good to me.

Screenshot (18).png

creekboy, blair, diesel and 1 other person like this.
  11. Missniss

Missniss Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Kev I think it's more stressful when you have to duck into a shop to grab a fish to take home so you don't look like a failure. Hey I have to justify spending money on a new set up and I am single lol Can't imagine being married and explaining why ya coming home empty handed ;)

creekboy, blair, diesel and 2 others like this.
  12. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Lyn doesn't worry if I don't catch a fish, neither of us are keen fish eaters. She's happy when I go and drown worms as she knows I'm relaxed and enjoying myself.

Rod Bender, creekboy, blair and 2 others like this.
  13. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    You're right as usual Jeff. I like an old advertising slogan used originally by Shimano I think (1)??? and the famous quote by Izaac Walton way back in 1653 (2).
    1. 'Fishing is not a matter of life and death; it's far more serious than that'.
    2. 'All time's wasted wot's not spent fishing'.

Rod Bender, creekboy and kev209 like this.