1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Squidgy lures

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Chili, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Hi guys, just to let anyone know BCF online have quite a few Squidgies on clearance for $5.

blair, diesel, Master Baiter and 4 others like this.
  2. Dickson

Dickson Active Member

Jul 13, 2019
    Thanks Chilli they are a great soft plastic but get destroyed after 1 fish still worth stocking up on.

diesel, creekboy, Chili and 1 other person like this.
  3. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Yeah I like the Wrigglers, cast heaps better than the paddle tails and sometimes the paddles have a wonky tail. Wrigglers are always good.

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  4. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I use Squidgy far more than anything else. Chilli, you might consider the wind resistance of paddle tails as the reason. I believe wrigglers cast 5-10m further because of their aerodynamics. I think they catch more fish too.

You make an interesting comment Dickson. I have used Squidgy since their inception. Apart from when bitten by tailer and similarly toothed critters, from which no plastics are safe; I have used some, successfully, until all the colour has been chewed off. Sometimes I've had the impression that a well worn one catches more fish. There's no conclusive proof of that and have always considered them way above 'single use' quality. Of which ones specifically do you speak?
    I believe some of the newer lines are of an even tougher plastic and wonder if they will seem (feel) as life like compared to the originals.
    Squidgy, a year or so ago, began working on a plastic aimed at biodegrability within a defined period of time. Seemed a good idea to me and my hat goes off to Squidgy. This information came originally from Steve Starling (Starlo) who was one of the designers of the tails with Bushie. Starlo lives here in Tuross. Squidgy's main concern was that it could be done with the plastic itself but the chemicals used still remained and there are now millions in our waterways. Gulp have always claimed biodegrability but they are in the same boat. The material goes away but not the chemicals.
    Noel

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    creekboy, diesel, Chili and 1 other person like this.
  5. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Yeah they do cast further easily by that distance. The paddles often helicopter and cause line twist.
    Good bit of info there on those bio lures.
    Maybe thats why so many places are clearing out the older Squidgy lines, making way for a new line perhaps!?

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    They are also selling them instore for $5, not just online - also most of the bio-fish range going cheap.

Jeff

7. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Perhaps they've discovered that most of us have more than we could ever use (need is the female version) and sales are down.
    The Old Sceptic

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  8. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    You are the first I am aware of that agrees Chilli.
    Noel

9. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Bloody gulps fade away while they in your boat still in the pack! I like the squidgies good action etc and catch fish some or all have the scent tube in the packet. Just need to make them tailor proof!
    Might have to go get some.

diesel and kev209 like this.
  10. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    I put my gulp in small plastic jars, the size of and sometimes actual old powerbait containers, and top them up with gulp recharge juice you get in the bottles. The salt water gulps say on the pack they are only good for 9 mths after opening, the freshwater ones last as long as you keep them juiced up. The packets are not that great after being opened and closed several times. They need to be kept standing upright with each lure touching the juice if kept in the pack.

Old fisho, diesel and kev209 like this.
  11. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I've done the same with the recharge juice Chili and it definitely works. In fact, I've got an old plastic container holding about 10 packets of assorted Gulp sp's in the juice that's been sitting on the shelf in my shed for the last 4 years through months of mid to high 40's temps and they are still looking okay.

Jeff

kev209, Chili and Old fisho like this.
  12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I still have so many plastics I'll never need to buy another pack. There's no guarantee that I won't though.
    No real idea but certainly at least a thousand. I still have one that hasn't caught a fish. It's the later model squidgy flick bait in the bright orange colour.
    Noel

kev209 and diesel like this.
  13. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    I have too many. Im culling my collection over the next few days. Turfing out all my Squidgy paddles, some Atomics and others I stopped using that seemed like more to be fish repellers than attractors. Our spare room is starting to look like a small tackle shop.

Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  14. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Chilli, I'll never dump my small 'fish' Squidgies, as in paddles. They still work well but I don't use the 100mm fish series like I used to. They were once my 'go to' choice. Today it's usually a wriggler. I have only two or three packs of Atomics and don't often use them but now and then they come up trumps. And that's my big problem. The one you want is always the one you don't have. I have two bags of packs and about four boxes of plastics. Then there's the bigger ones and spare packs in the cupboard at home.
    Noel
    Gotta be mad to have so many

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    kev209 likes this.
  15. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    My misses keeps saying "how many lures can you buy, you'll never use them all!?"
    Actually, I am pretty low on Bozo's come to think of it!

Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  16. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I will second that, NEVER throw out any fishing gear, u never know, I had a lure in my tackle box unused for about 20 years I nearly didn't bring it to a future fishing trip it was the stand out lure on that bass and cod fishing trip I went on.
    A mans gotta have a hobby.

Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  17. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I only have two X Bozo's. Slender fish things that caught a couple of fish first day and not one since I feel.

kev209 likes this.
  18. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Is the hobby fishing or collecting? Is there a difference?

kev209 likes this.
  19. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    ha ha a combined hobby a fisherman and collector.

kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  20. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Im gonna get it all together over the next couple of weeks and give it away. Ill let you's know when.

kev209 likes this.