1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Stingers On spinnerbaits

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by TheBream, Sep 1, 2005.

1. TheBream

TheBream New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    ok i have a ton of these spinner bait and i mainly fish the rivers up here that have a fair bit of weed and hence i don't run stingers (sometimes i thing i should but) so i have gone out and bought some hooks for the stinger and just would like know what is the best way of attaching them?

2. aussiebasser

aussiebasser New Member

Aug 28, 2005
    The easiest and cheapest is to get a hole punch, like they use in an office and punch out some little discs from a plastic 2 lt Milk Bottle. Gang up your stinger then put the plastic disk over the point of the main hook and slide it down over the barb. Yes you will poke the off hook point into your finger doing this. Next method is to get some surgical rubber tubing that is a neat fit over the eye of the Stinger. Cut about 5mm and put the tupe over the eye, then gang the hook up pushing the point of the main hook through the tubing and eye of the stinger. This tube will deteriorate especially if you use scents.

3. TheBream

TheBream New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    dale i tryed this as surgested on another fourum and whould like to know what you think
    god knows you know you and fitzy now your stuff [​IMG]
    will post other attemps like the ones you mentioned tomorrow

4. aussiebasser

aussiebasser New Member

Aug 28, 2005
    I wouldn't bother using a trailer rubber for Bass. For Cod, they are a great thing, but for Bass you're defeating the purpose of fitting the stinger. The stinger helps with some short strikes, where the Bass nip at the tail. By adding a trailer, you're giving it another tail. It will work on very aggressive fish, but it'll be frustrating if they're a bit picky!

5. TheBream

TheBream New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    ok thanks dale
    that does make sence as the tip did come from one of them fellas that case those lasy cod instead of the hard fighting Bass that we all know are the best!:D

he surgested that the plastic goes on the end to lessen snags but i always thought the same as you said that it was for short strikes plus i'm getting fairly good at this by now so know where the lure is most of the time in relation to the snags ;)

ok dale the one with the rubber on it had been improved as per a surgestion and made the rubber part of both hooks and made to stinger come out closer to the tail
    the other one is how you told me useing just a stinger and air hose as the stop
    [​IMG]

6. aussiebasser

aussiebasser New Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Mate those Codfish have huge bucket mouths, and they can suck in a whole 2oz Spinnerbait. Wouldn' call the lazy though. This one was only 6lb that I got in Mulwala at Christmas time on a big Spinnerbait with a grub trailer.
    In snaggy country the tube is better than the plastic disk option 'cause it firms the hook up a bit for casting.
    Don't overlook the success of slow trollin' big Spinnerbaits in dams either. At very slow speeds they will roll along the bottom in 30'. My nephew brains the big bass doing that in Lake Moogerah.