1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Summer Of 69

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by chicka, Jul 18, 2007.

1. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Hi All
    My next door neighbours husband passed away God bless and there she was trying to clean out the garage,struggling away as she's in her 80's.Anyway i pitched in taking rubbish to the tip as we sifted through the boxes of accumulated years.
    Buried in the corner was an old fishing basket full of old tackle from the past.The memories came flooding back of when i was a kid.The old wicker type basket was used to carry tackle and also had a square hole in the top to be used as a bait trap!
    I remember my Mum outfishing my Dad using the old cork hand lines much to his disgust as he had updated to a new fibreglass rod from the old cane ones which were set up with centrepin bakerlite reels.The mono line so thick,with sinkers moulded and casted, heated up on the stove.
    Isn't it incredible how far we have come in the last few decades with the advances in technology of finesse fishing.
    I wonder how much further will we advance in the years to come!
    We sit at home on our laptop or pc planning our trip on the water,ordering our tackle which with the advent of graphite rods,smooth drag reels,super light braid and a miriad of lures,hard and soft to choose from.GPS,marine radios and fast well rigged boats to get us to the fishing grounds.
    CHEERS CHICKA

2. gone_fishing

gone_fishing New Member

Nov 4, 2006
    as all sport progress with new and improved
    i think our grand kids will look at our gear and wonder how we managed to catch any thing i reckon

but i say if you were at the top of sport fishing in those comps youll gather information on time temps wind direction water ph level have coaches managers technical support crews oh my there's no end in site

but as long as you enjoy fishing thats all that counts :D :D

3. Rob Roffey

Rob Roffey New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    What did you do with the old fishing gear , it would be nice to know it went to someone who would appreciate it as there isnt much of that style left

4. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Hi Rob
    Jan gave me some of the old cork hand lines and sinkers,moulds etc also a small bakerlite reel. similar to one i used for black fish in the lake when i was a kid.The rest went to the grandchildren.
    Would love to hear some feedback of fishing stories from the past.
    CHEERS CHICKA