1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Surf Rod and Reel

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing' started by Davo, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Davo

Davo Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Lads,
    Looking at getting a surf rod and reel to take on the yearly trip to the coast. Don't want to spend a fortune but want something I can chuck in the shed for 12 months, pull it out and know it will work.
    Got my heart set on a Alvey, just wondering what size would be suitable for "general" surf fishing (if there is such a thing) and a rod to match. Not going till November but the excitment is building already.

Cheers
    Dave

2. Rob Roffey

Rob Roffey New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    I use a jarvis walker combo , their on the lower end on the budget side but still good value , I have caught some good fish with it

3. gone_fishing

gone_fishing New Member

Nov 4, 2006
    depending on the money your willing to spend there is a great varity around and you do get what you pay for
    but i agree with Rob javis walker are ok and not very expensive for a holiday rod that be my choice i think about 50-60 bucks gets you a combo ready to go

4. LBG_Fisherman

LBG_Fisherman New Member

Mar 15, 2008
    M8 i think alveys are the way to go they are industructable

5. dogsbody

dogsbody New Member

May 24, 2008
    Go a Alvey in the 650 range,,, can't kill an alvey no matter what sort of abuse you throw at it.

Dave.

6. HOTRODS

HOTRODS New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    some of the lower range shimano surf combos are great value...this time of year you may be lucky to pick up surplus stock from the summer cataloges @ a good price if ya haggle a bit...

7. Big_Fisho

Big_Fisho New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    well i have a 3.4m butterworth rod with a jarvis walker 7000 spin reel which works well.

also my dad has a 14ft custom superstick with an abu 9000 CL on it and has used it for 23 years now with no problems, cause 7 foot barrcuda in QLD and sea turtles.

Ive also heard of a reel called "seamartin" which are like the best surf reel out appartently. i beleive there on www.campbellsprotackle.com