1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Surface (lure) fishing for trout.

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Rod Bender, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi all
    Has anyone tried fishing for trout with lures on the surface? I have dabbled a bit with no luck. I found this video and they have a good session! Most likely in the Rubicon river.

cheers
    Team Bender
    Trying to inspire myself!

blair, diesel and kev209 like this.
  2. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    It uase to work on some lakes after dark. Lake Pedder comes to mind.
    Cheers Pete

diesel, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  3. Charles1960

Charles1960 Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Check out some the mouse fishing videos on youtube, absolutely crazy action, surely some people fish with a lure rather than a fly although I can't find any info on it. It's something I'll experiment with when I get chance,your looking at an extra ten backs for a flocked lure if you can find one so I'll probably improvise something myself.

4. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Charles; We haven't heard much from you. Good to have you joining in.
    Trout on surface lures? Why not? Have never tried it in one sense but using deer hair flies like muddlers in Eucumbene at night is a classic reason why it shouldn't be ignored. There's no real difference. Mudeye often travel on the surface at night.
    I have an exceptional DVD called Blue Moon on fishing 'mouse' flies in NZ. I have brought some back and they are commonly used over there, particularly fishing for big browns. Mice are quite a bit smaller than many yabbies our old browns catch. At the same time, I'm yet to see a mouse swimming. I'm told cod will eat parrots, why not trout and mice?
    What did you use at Pedder Pete?
    Noel

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Rod Bender, kev209 and diesel like this.
  5. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Noel sadly I never got to fish pedder in its hey day, not long married mortgage etc. By the time I got down there it was well past its heyday. But the Muddler fishing in Eucumbene was simply unreal, no place for light tippets, they just smashed them.
    Cheers Pete

Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  6. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    When I think of using poppers for anything, I think of using them in slower flowing or still water, unlike the video. I think they may go well in the local channels.

I have seen similar videos! You also reminded me of a lure I have...a LiveTarget mouse which looks something like this!
    LT mouse.jpg

I have once! When the local river was in minor flood! Mousey had no choice...sink or swim!:cool:

I have one more Megabass lure on order which didn't arrive. These smallish poppers which have an adjustable lip.
    Megabass.jpg
    cheers
    Team Bender

kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  7. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Under those conditions we'd all do the same.
    You call them 'smallish'. How big is that really?
    Noel

kev209 likes this.
  8. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    And do they come with hooks?

kev209 likes this.
  9. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Around 90 mm...14 grams. And they do come with hooks!

kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  10. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I have always wondered why manufacturers pay so much attention to the colours etc on the top of poppers. No fish can ever see the top. Exclude flying fish.
    Noel
    Lures, designed to catch more fishers than fish

Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  11. Charles1960

Charles1960 Member

Apr 4, 2018
    I can recall some massive mouse plagues out Wyangala during the eighties, unfortunately we never did think to fish the surface at night. I remember we had to pack up and go home once the mice were so bad. Heading down to the Vic High county week soon, I'll post a report when I get back.

kev209 and Rod Bender like this.