1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Survival Mode.

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by diesel, Mar 9, 2020.

1. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Alright, things are starting to get a bit serious with this coronavirus and far be it from being paranoid, the bride and myself are nutting out how we will handle things in a worse case scenario.

Living the life that we have chosen over the past couple of decades means that we are used to isolation. We always carry enough tucker to get through at least 3 months, mainly because we never know when we might get flood bound in our part of the state and also we've got a good stock of essential items should we decide to head off to a remote location to do a bit of fishing or fossicking. Fresh vegies and meat are about the only stuff we need to purchase on a weekly basis, but canned vegies and a freezer full of meat are good backup. I bake my own bread and today I will receive a shipment of flour to keep us going for a few months.

We are self sufficient when it comes to power and water having been on solar & tank water for many years, so regardless of what could happen, things don't change much for us.

We are still undecided as to whether or not we just hook up the caravan and head further west to one of our secret locations near a river where the recent rains mean a steady supply of water and also fish, yellas & silver perch, or do we sit it out here on our mining claims and run the risk of contracting the virus because others in the community totally disregard advise to self isolate which has already happened. An Austrian woman who recently returned from an overseas trip came back via Italy and Singapore and was advised to go home and stay home for at least 14 days with no contact with others. She refused to comply......

According to the medical profession, it may be 12 to 18 months before a vaccine is developed for the virus which means that it will most likely spread right across the country, so what is your plan?

As I stated from the outset, we are not paranoid, just being cautious.

Jeff

creekboy, blair and kev209 like this.
  2. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    At this point, I don't have a plan. I have a limited amount of food at home, as I always do. I tend to drop in to a supermarket on the way home from work every day or two. I have thought about...and will get a bit more of a food stock at home...but not much. I would be happy with a weeks supply.

I don't think you were asking for advice Jeff but I will give some! I think you are in a good position to stay where you are.

Whilst I am not playing down the seriousness of the virus, me thinks we should all consider stocking up on fishing tackle!:cool: After all, a lot of it is maunfactured in China and we could have supply isses!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Any excuse will do!

creekboy, blair, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Haha, stock up on fishing tackle, I hadn't considered that option.

The big seasonal influx of tourists holds the highest risk for us and as much as we like to see their cash splashed around, we can do without the bugs they bring with them.

If I'm going to catch a bug, I want it to be one that I can impale with a fish hook, not one that makes me crook.

I really feel for those people stuck on cruise ships. Imagine being stuck on a boat surrounded by water and you can't do any fishing.

Jeff

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  4. Lazyfisher

Lazyfisher Active Member

Aug 10, 2016
    I think the best thing we can do is buy as much bog roll as you can.

creekboy, Madfisher, blair and 4 others like this.
  5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Lazyfisher, now there's a name we haven't seen here for a long time.

How are you going?

Jeff

creekboy, kev209 and blair like this.
  6. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    I work for Woolies @ their NSW Distribution Centre and the amount of toilet rolls we are shipping down to sydney (esp around Mascott) makes your eyes boggle- I am talking pallet upon pallet stacked to the roof of each truck with no other items. We went through last week a big increase of Rice, Pasta and Tuna cans by the pallet load, all our local stores like Aldi, Woollies, Coles and BigW are out of dunny paper by 9:30am and even though we have restrictions in place there appears to be no concern for anyone who just wants to be a hoarder - you would think it is the apocalypse is on its way and people are hiding out in their bunkers in preparation.

Essentially I am not that worried - this is really no different to the Swine Flu, Bird Flu or any other virus outbreak we have had over the years- but what concerns me is the Government is letting in plane loads of sick people and not putting them into quarrantine for the required period of time. They are kept for 7-10days then released into the community.
    Should it come to complete lockdown we dont have enough supplies to last even a week, but I havent been too concerned- IMHO when a toilet blockage at work happens it directly affects more people than the whole number of cases reports worldwide. We have 1500 employees working 24/7 so a toilet blockage for 12hours (and yes it has taken that long in recent weeks) poses more of a serious H&S issue than the coronavirus.

Realistically I know we should prepare a bit better, but we also know that the pandemic is just hype ATM, the biggest issue us hygene, as I dont travel on trains or public transport and my wife works from home I am hedging my bets we have less than a 0.0001% chance of contracting the virus anytime in the future. We also need to remember that the coronavirus COULD be mistaken for boilogical warfare by the Chinese, which is possible but highly unlikely. Should the situation worsen the Fed Govt needs to step in and do something about the tourists coming in from China and restrict travel to and from asian countries where the risk of contracting the virus is much higher.

Thankfully some of the local aussie toiletries and sanitary companies are working overtime to keep out shelves stocked, as most of these items come from China. On a community level we need to have greater access to reporting services and more doctors put in high alert in medical centres nationwide to help isolate any cases that could arise.
    I DO think some people are completely over the top and have caused more hysteria than is required about this, but I also acknowledge that the Goverment (both Federal and State) and local communities need to be able to have access to basic health items at the supermarket - toilet paper, hand sanitizer, hand towels, mouth wash etc. etc.

Do I think you are being paranoid Jeff- absolutely not!... But we all have a part to play to prevent the spread of this outbreak - it serves no good for anyone to bury their heads in the sand and pretend it isnt going to affect them, but vigilance and a healthy sanitary environment will put most people in good stead. We need to remember that those who are affected the worst are older people, young children and anyone with an existing illness or someone who has respiratory issues (yes I am asthmatic so I could very well be included in this high risk category). Simple- wash your hands regularly, cover your mouth and nose if you have flu like symptoms, use a face mask if you are concerned.

creekboy, kev209, blair and 1 other person like this.
  7. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Why worry not everyone will get the Corona virus I personally wont worry about it nor change my life style. I could be killed in so many other ways than C Virus lets face it we are all going to die anyway and that has never ever scared me. This is my personal opinion.
    The only thing I have changed is at Church I will not take communion or shake hands as most others in our Church have stopped this practice.
    Wally

8. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    You have a positive attitude which is good. But a mask is of little use for a non airborne Virus you have a choice to move away from someone with symptoms, but what you touch is the problem as the Virus can stay on a surface for a few hours or several days.
    Hence don't touch face. nose mouth ETC until you scrub your hands as we do or should anyway
    Wally.

creekboy, diesel, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  9. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2019
    I got concerned a week or two ago about the virus when the media started using the word 'pandemic' and providing statistics on the number of people who had died. I subsequently had a chat to a work colleague about it, wondering at how well reality aligned to my perception as derived from information presented by the media.
    So, as is my way, I decided to get researching and understand the problem better. What follows is an amalgam of info/links I've shared with said friend as part of a conversation on the topic and some commentary for this thread.

I started with the getting an understanding of what the word 'pandemic' actually meant, as it seemed to indicate some kind of apocalypse.

The World Health Organization says: "A pandemic is the worldwide spread of a new disease. "
    https://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/frequently_asked_questions/pandemic/en/

The Oxford dictionary says: "a disease that spreads over a whole country or the whole world"
    https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/american_english/pandemic

The Cambridge dictionary says: "(of a disease) existing in almost all of an area or in almost all of a group of people, animals, or plants:"
    https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/pandemic

So from this, I take it to mean people are affected across a wide area, not necessarily in high numbers. So, in my own head at least, I reclassified the problem from apocalypse to geographically diverse illness.

Next I went looking for information on the mortality rate. The way the media has been carrying on (or at least, my interpretation of the information I've been exposed to), it felt like the mortality rate must be high....so you get it and you're in big trouble.
    First step was to find the current mortality rate for the coronavirus. According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), the figure is between 3-4% (on average; i.e. not considering the health, age or other relevant factors associated with the person infected, which can change things).
    https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...0306-sitrep-46-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=96b04adf_2

This doesn't really mean anything to me....I've not looked at mortality rate of illnesses I may contract before. So I went looking at the mortality rates for related illnesses and diseases have I've come across due to a lot of publicity.

Seasonal flu: This is a hard one as I struggled to find stats; being each seasonal strain can be different, it's probably not surprising. But for the sake of argument, the ABS quoted 3.9% mortality rate for 2017.
    https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/by Subject/3303.0~2017~Main Features~Deaths due to influenza~5

Pneumonia: Seems to be consistently quoted as a mortality rate of 5-10% for people being treated in hospital and 30% for people who are untreated and don't get medical attention. This was particularly relevant to me, as I've had pneumonia and it's my yardstick for a bad illness.

Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS): According to the WHO, mortality rate of 11%
    https://www.who.int/csr/sars/en/WHOconsensus.pdf

Meningococcal disease: Mortality rate of 10-15% even with antibiotic treatment.
    https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/mening.html

Bird flu (H5N1): According to the WHO, mortality rate of 60%
    (https://www.who.int/influenza/human_animal_interface/avian_influenza/h5n1_research/faqs/en/)

Bubonic plague: Mortality rate of between 40-60% in untreated cases (the stats aren't consistent across sources, so I somewhat averaged them) and 1-15% in treated cases. Note that I'm not clear on how much influence the historical data (i.e. middle ages) has on those figures. Bubonic plague has, if my memory serves me, struck Africa in the last century, but with the mortality rate being a lot lower than the epidemics of Medieval times.

Septicemic plague: I'd not heard of this, but it was often referenced to bubonic plague. I included it for interests sake. Note the stats are from a single, unknown/untrusted source. Mortality rate in treated cases 40%, mortality rate in untreated cases 100%.

Sooooo.....after all that, I stepped away from the panic button and figured life can go on more or less as normal, taking a few precautions (namely those outlined here: https://www.health.gov.au/sites/def...oronavirus-covid-19-what-you-need-to-know.pdf). My own view is that stocking up on things like toilet paper, pasta, bottled water and so on is entirely unnecessary in the majority of instances and, frankly, inconsiderate in regards to the rest of the community. The government has various strategies for dealing with home isolation, which I found well laid out in a flyer from the department of health (https://www.health.gov.au/sites/def...coronavirus-covid-19-isolation-guidance_1.pdf).

So for me, apart from practicing good hygiene and not making grossly unnecessary trips to places with crowds, life goes on.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  10. ratherbefishin

Sep 9, 2019
  11. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Some good replies coming in, keep them coming.

The way I see it, the biggest threat to us here in Australia is not the virus itself, but the total disruption to trade both international and domestic. We have relied on China for too long as our number one trading partner and it's times like this that we can see that we shouldn't put all our eggs in one basket.

Jeff

12. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nothing wrong whith having a healthy amount of paranoia/caution, you need it living around here. If I get a call to go to work I will probably not go by train and drive. I already have a filthy cold again probably still the XXXX virus:D.
    We have lots of food and freezers full of food and I am sure I could go and catch food if I had to unless I am trying to survive on jewfish:). I should use the Carona virus as an excuse to go fishing up the snowy for a year but I would miss my family unless I could talk them into it.
    If it starts knocking off a scary amount of people I will take more precautions and may go to the snowys or self isolate at home makes me think I need to get a caravan a bit sooner or a cabin up the snowys I have been buying stuff from china and Taiwan don't know if that is a risk.
    I wonder if the toilet paper hysteria was caused by a toilet paper manufacturer or someone who makes a profit out of toilet paper? or just some of the usuall DH,s that like that sort of thing such as the needles in strawberrys idiots. I can think of far worse things to run out of.

GOAT : potential prepper.

13. ratherbefishin

Sep 9, 2019
    My last post on this, for fear of coming off like some kind of zealot, but I found this a little while ago and found it an interesting, and relevant, read:

https://www.facebook.com/abdu.sharkawy/posts/2809958409125474

Hehehe......Won't get any arguments from me about healthy amount of paranoia mate. :D I keep a bag in the back of my car with a bit of survival gear just in the event it burns to the ground when I'm in the middle of the bush. Hasn't happened to me yet, but I like insurance. ;)

14. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    The toilet paper madness was probably caused by kev's picture of 4 people prepared for the Corona virus wrapped in toilet paper. Lol.
    If you get Corona Virus confirmed in your fourteen day incubation, you then stay home isolated for about four weeks and you dont have treatment only something for your temperature. But if you have problems breathing then you attend Hospital and they do their thing drips and oxygen Etc.
    Once you have had the Virus you should not get the Virus again as you should be immuned.
    If you die you would have to have problems with your health mine is Diabetes and a low kidney function. Bottom line is I wont know anything about it.
    I had a long talk to my Doctor and the above is what he explained to me after I asked him how his Holiday was and where did he go. Japan and that was three weeks ago a day before he said a pandemic was about to be announced.
    Wally

15. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Dunny rolls are going very quick in the US as well.

The only Dunny Paper I could get
    shopping.png

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  16. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    That pic may go viral too Kev.

creekboy, ratherbefishin and kev209 like this.
  17. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I'm the same RBF, I've got a bottle of Bundy and a bottle of Stones Green Ginger squirrelled away behind the seat just in case I get caught in a blizzard. I keep an eye on the use by date on each bottle and so far I've had to replace the Bundy probably 5 or 6 times and the Stones at least twice that many.

Regardless of the fact that there hasn't been a blizzard in Qld since the last major ice age, a man needs to be prepared. :D

Jeff

18. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I don't have a fear of dying, but I've got 3 new fishing reels that I haven't used yet and I'm going to be totally pissed off if I fall off my perch before I get a chance to use them let alone catch a fish, especially if the reason for falling off my perch was due to some Chinaman eating a bat or a snake or whatever it was that started this virus. :mad:

Jeff

19. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Love it Jeff that is hilarious.

20. Lazyfisher

Lazyfisher Active Member

Aug 10, 2016
    I'm going alright I don't really get on here alot every once in awhile I'll have a look that's about it. I missed tbx when it first went down and was happy to see it up and running again i get out fishing abit but don't feel the need to post reports or anything I enjoy ready some posts cc's reports are good( can tell a yarn)
    Cheers Mick

Madfisher, creekboy, kev209 and 4 others like this.