1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Swamp Donkey Rebuild

Discussion in 'Boats' started by Tombowler76, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    G'Day folks

thought id kick things off with a new thread to start taking you thru the imminent rebuild of the green swamp donkey.

the donkey is a 10 year old Stessl Edgetracker 435 and has a 40hp Yamaha 2st tiller steer on it. when i purchased the boat it had a side console installed and steering but no throttle box so the tiller arm was still there for shifting and throttle:goofy: heres a pic
    [​IMG]

so to begin with i removed the steering all together and just ran her as a tiller ever since.
    There was also a live bait tank plumbed into the front deck, this was removed and replaced with a removable livewell ( big esky ) but it did leave a pretty big hole in the deck which id been meaning to fix ever since :rolleyes:.

The rear deck was also a bit small and tricky for some to cast from so i wanted to extend that aswell to make it more user friendly.
    Anyway as space was an issue and being a tiller steer i couldnt get too far away from the back of the boat so extending the rear deck was an issue.

I was then browsing the web one day and came across a review of the new seajay viper 4.65 tournament boat. It had this awesome folding rear bench seat set-up where the backrest of the bench seat folds down and becomes an extended deck...brilliant idea i thought, so thats what ive decided to do.

I am converting the outboard and re-installing the steering, moving the console to the other side of the boat, building the bench seat/ extended rear deck and replacing and extending the front deck.

I have started some 3D modelling of the new design working out materials and dimensions etc just using free software off the web called google sketchup. its an amazing little tool and would assist anyone into building/designing anything... heres a pic of the current floor plan of the donkey in 3D with the console moved to the right side
    [​IMG]
    all the dimensions are as is in the boat so when i draw the new decks the program can calculate things such as how much ply i will need etc.

anyway ive got some more modelling to be doing, will post some more pics on the weekend when i start pulling things apart, as well as a few more drawings when i get them done :lol:

cheers
    Jules

2. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008
    sounds good mate. you will be busy the next few weekends? lol sounds like a great idea to keep the one boat for years and years. ive always wanted to buy a plain old tinny, and make seats, casting decks and live well for myself but thought it might be easier to buy it like that. im still keen to do it though. that way i can set it up how i want it

interesting that the side console is on the left! arent most on the right nowa days???

3. djgtom

djgtom New Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Onya Jules,

working on your own boat is great fun. i recently had mine apart and stood back and thought 'crap, htf am i going to put this back together'.:embarrassed:
    I plumbed the front tank myself and when finished took it down to the river to test, when turned on water went friggen everywhere !!!! stick to building me thinks :redface:

Worked it all out with the help of 'Numurkah Boat Alterations' hehe (tednted).
    Did have some spare screws though ????

Have fun and will drop in and see how it's all going

dean

4. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Good work Jules... that boat has so much potential and a solid base to work from. I may be able to assist with full custom vinyl wrap graphics if that's a path you want to go down, further down the track.

Good luck with it all!

5. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    thanks fella's, im bloody excited cant wait to get the hands dirty. youre right chrisso the console is currently on the left, probably doesnt really matter as i couldnt find any legal requirement that says it has to be on the right, that being said the control box needs to be mounted on the rhs side of the boat so ill be swapping the console over.

cheers Marc, i do like the vinyl wraps, something in green with a donkey would suit :D

jules

6. bwh1

bwh1 New Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Great work Jules, cant wait to see the finished product.

Cheers...Brett

7. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Looking forward to reading all about it mate , get that camera out and start clicking

Cheers
    Ozzy

8. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    LMAO, but i think Roundy would probably want them back :D

9. Goodoo Dreaming

Goodoo Dreaming New Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Jules
    Well done mate. I've been procrastinating over the Viper idea since its inception. I will do it one day.......perhaps!

Looking forward to seeing further developments.

The free design software seems to be a winner too.

10. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Hi Jules
    That little software pack is so easy instead of spending 3yrs learning cad mate.
    Nothin' like working on your boat in your spare time.
    Will be cool to see the finished product.
    Good luck and post up on your progress.

11. roundy

roundy New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Cans or cans

Jules I dont want the empty ones only the FULL ones and I also put casting decks in 'SIZE Matters' if you can remember and its great when you build it yourself and are happy with the result
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    http://www.tacklebox.com.au/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=2294

Then you sell it and buy a Hornet!!!!!!!!!

Roundy

12. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008
    now you got me fired up to "build" a boat, gotta get a starting piece though. custom vinyl wraps will be f@%$in awesome!!!!! make it look newer too ;) keep the cans jules, they make good memories for later on!!! ;)

Steady what is the "viper" idea ????

13. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    hey chris find a really cheap one and have a play as they have all said its great to do your own boat and it doesnt have to be expensive or the best and it will help you nut out your final project that you will be happy with

14. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    sure i remember Roundy, 1.20 1.20 1.20 :D
    why would i want a hornet when ive got a green swamp donkey?

15. tednted

tednted New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Good onya Jules
    It's more like fun than work when ya start !! Once you've got it sorted in your head exactly what you want !!
    If ya need a hand just send her up to Numurkah Boat Alterations :D:D
    cheers AL
    ps. take plenty of happy snaps

16. Bobby

Bobby New Member

Jun 28, 2009
    great way to pass the time, can't wait to see it finished.

17. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    Ok guys, been a bit slack getting some more progress shots up but here are a few more..
    Its been bloody cold in the shed after work, hence not alot of progress has been made but things are definately firing up now.

heres a shot of the front casting deck with the two hatches removed.
    In the large hatch i put my big esky for a livewell, i am going to flatten the floor out a bit underneath with a little more ply for stability.
    [​IMG]

here are the old batteries, 70ah gells, got a bit of life in them, but i have a couple of new agm's going in once the jobs done.
    [​IMG]

here is my little console, just big enough to do the job ad hold the important stuff, whilst it doesnt take up half the floor space ;)
    this has been removed from the floor on the left side ready to be installed on the right.
    [​IMG]

removal of the console was a bugger because of all the bloody wiring under the dash! took a while to disconnect everything, tag it so i know what it is to reconnect and get it all out thru the little hole it all went thru. not to mention the console was bolted down very well.
    [​IMG]

i had to take the middle piece of the floor out to access the bolts for the console and remove the wiring,
    [​IMG]

you can see the witing for the bilge and livewell pumps and the livewell feeder hose.
    I then removed both of the other bits of floor to clean them and mount the console on the right hand side.
    [​IMG]

I then removed the tiller arm, disconnecting the control cables etc and unbolting the tiller.
    I then connected up my new throttle cables.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

anyway that's all for now, got a busy day tommorrow mounting in the console and steering, re-routing the wiring back into the console and start cutting and building the new decks and rear bench seat.

cheers
    Jules

18. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Well underway now mate , really enjoying this post

Cheers
    Ozzy

19. bwh1

bwh1 New Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Top effort Jules, cant wait to see the finished job, and hear the tunes:D

Cheers...Brett

20. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    i can swear it looks like a dogs breakfast at the moment... am just starting to see the pices coming together.. the wallets defiantely taken a battering tho.. it just goes on and on and on :D