1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Swamp Donkey Rebuild

Discussion in 'Boats' started by Tombowler76, Jul 21, 2009.

1. virty

virty New Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Mate ya doin well it would have done my head in by now.

2. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    back again guys with a few more pics :), a few more headaches dealt with and things are slowly moving along :cool:

got the wiring thru to the right side of the boat, and fitted in the console, then fitted up the helm and steering cable... had a few headaches with the steering mounting on the outboard. As i am raising the rear deck slightly the old mounting position didnt allow me to tilt the motor enough so a couple of nights of drilling and screwing and doin my head in :goofy: i finally got something sorted that works..yay..what a releif.. was lookin grim there for a moment.
    anyways ive also started to build the frame for the bench seat thats also gonna house my sub woofer :lol:
    here are the pics.

view from the drivers seat
    [​IMG]

console is in
    [​IMG]

steering attachment
    [​IMG]

more steering and raised rear deck, the frame is yet to be waterproofed and screwed together.
    [​IMG]

start of the bench seat frame, still needs three noggins and also to be waterproofed and joined.
    [​IMG]

more seat frame, subby home
    [​IMG]

cheers
    Jules

3. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    nice jules
    when you put the subby in make sure it goes inside another box or you could have vibrations going all over the place and it will sound crap

4. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    yeah mate, already onto that one, it comes mounted in a pre made box with the amp etc all i got to do is bolt it to the floor :)

5. Adam Bosley

Adam Bosley New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Looking good Jules.
    Are you getting any aluminum welding done or are you just going to use timber.
    Do you think the timber will add to much weight?
    I want to make my front casting deck bigger in my boat and just trying to work out how Im going to do it.
    Aluminum welding just costs so much.:unsure:

6. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    yeah because i was only adding to the current floor, decks etc and didnt have the time or budget to get it sent off for proper alloy welding i went with timber. all up ill be lucky to add 40 kilo's of weight to it... theres only about 8 metres of 35x70mm and 2.5m2 of 12 mm CD ply + carpet. Not only that i have removed over 12 kilo in weight by taking out the stainless pedestal seat mounts, risers and the swivel seats.
    hopefully by sundy night all the frames will be complete & installed and all carpet laid on the ply etc ready to be screwed in and finished off...
    then wire the new switch panel, CD player, speakers, nav lights and install the new ctek onboard charger and then i might have a beer and a fish :D

7. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    gees jules do you need a hand with the beer and fish lol
    i would be happy to help

8. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    well im just havin one of them beers now.. think i deserve it.
    had a very productive weekend despite the poor poker form friday night :D
    anyways here are a few more pics, the back seat frames in and the ply cut for the deck and bench seat.
    front deck extension frame is also done, ply cut for hatches etc. the ply just needs to be given a couple of coats of sealant then carpeted and screwed to the frame.
    the face of the front deck extension is also going to have two 6 inch speakers cut into either side of it.

front deck
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

back seat and deck with cushions ( not stuck in yet till carpet laid )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

front and back from the front
    [​IMG]

front and back from the back
    [​IMG]

cheers
    Jules

9. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    hey jules whats with the foam under the board on the back?

10. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008
    top job jules(thats coming from a carpenter);) really looks great, will have to change the name of the boat though....

team " Green water disco" ;) :lol::lol::lol:

11. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    thats the padding/cushions for the bench seat, two pieces for me bum and one stuck to the back rest.. need some comfort on a long days trolling ;)

chrisso, i was thinkin green swamp doof doof donkey :lol::lol:

12. virty

virty New Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Hey Jules looking good mate, i hope you treated all that pine timber ? You could get ya self in to a little trouble down the track.

13. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    sure did virty, got a few coats of cabots external marine varnish :)

14. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    really coming along now jules has been one of my fav threads. looking forward to the next lot of photos

15. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    next lot will see her done mate, got to pull my finger out, just about to go out give the ply its 2nd coat, one more tomoz then i can start glueing the carpet on wednesday, screw decks in on thursday & stick on the foam cushions. mean while ive still got to wire back up all the accessories to the new switch panel, wire up and install new led nav lights and hook the cd player up... gonna be a couple of late nights me thinks ;)

16. Goodoo Dreaming

Goodoo Dreaming New Member

Apr 12, 2006
    WHOA!!!! Jules, you have done well. Looking good.

17. Rayc

Rayc New Member

Mar 14, 2007
    how bout some more of the finished product buddy?

18. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008
    i think hes still recovering from his lates trip guys ;):goofy:

19. Rayc

Rayc New Member

Mar 14, 2007
    well, thats no excuse Chrisso..he's had the best part of 3 days to recover..:)

20. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    :lol::lol: nah still cant find my camera after the trip :wacko:

ill keep looking and hopefully get some up this weekend once ive washed the mud off too!

overall i was really pleased with how it went, front decks were great, got rid of all my tackle bags from the decks/floor etc. folding seat was great and sooo bloody confortable... was like trolling on the couch :lol: until i lent back to far and busted a support chain mount... which was good coz it found a weakness and now it can be rectified ;)

connecting up the cd player, speakers and subby this weekend hopefully so will put some pics up of that too.

Jules