1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Swimbait rods hit the half kilo mark!

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rod Bender, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    So...the Frogley's newsletter landed on my email this arvo...almost measured a 9 on the richter scale with the announcement that Samurai have released a couple swimbait models in their 'Refraction' range of baitcasters.
    https://products.samurairods.com.au/products/category/LDHWIMGY-refraction
    As far as I know this is the first swimbait models made by Samurai. As far as I can tell...they will be expensive! I have seen a lot of Samurai rod models which do not carry casting weight recommendations...these are different.

Samurai RF Swim Bait 8'3, BC, 20-50lb, 100-500g

Samurai RF Swim Bait 7'6, BC, 16-40lb, 10-200g

A maximum cast weight of 500 grams for the heavy model. I have no idea what is out there in swimbait rod world but for the ones I have seen locally, this leaves them for dead!!!! After all, Carl Jocumson did mention at the 'Codference' that lures were getting bigger and bigger! You could throw one of them large Rapala display lures with this bad boy rod! Now you have to excuse me as I need to start working out!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Where will it end?

AJ Fishman, creekboy, blair and 3 others like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    That is amazing, Jim, Must be as thick as a broom handle to cast that weight without snapping. You would have to tie yourself to a tree to prevent being dragged in with the momentum of the cast.

Jeff

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  3. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Shock wave from a 500 gram lure landing in the vicinity of target fish would probably knock it out!:) Wouldn't like to cop a 500 gram plastic in the back of the head if a mate stuffed up his cast either.

4. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Half a kilo fish would be a trophy for me at the moment let alone a half a kilo lure.

kev209, reelaxation, creekboy and 2 others like this.
  5. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    The rods have arrived in a local tackle store and are priced around the $560 mark. They are 2 piece and separate above the butt....split grips which I am not a fan of and they come with 2 butts! There is no grip above the reel seat!

The rod is lightweight despite its casting capability.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Walked out of the store without removing wallet from pocket!

diesel and kev209 like this.
  6. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Sound like a hybrid jigging x popping rods which throw those enormous poppers and stickbaits for big reefies like GT's, Red Bass and the like.

Not that I could ever justify anything of that calibre I doubt they would get my unweighted worms out past the shorey at the local break LOL

diesel, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.