1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Tell me.....

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by diesel, Feb 12, 2019 at 12:26 PM.

1. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    The following is an extract from the summary of a social snapshot of recreational fishing prepared by Elizabeth Barker for Ozfish Unlimited in 2017.

“Fishers listen to and learn from other fishers, usually those known to them and they are the preferred and most trusted source of information about fishing. Increasingly, fishers would prefer to be able to get their information from online sources, although the level of trust in such sources is not high. Preferred information sources vary depending on what information is being sought and negative messages are more likely to hinder communication than positive ones will.”

So, how do others on here feel about the info we share?
    Do you trust the advice of other members?
    Do you take on board only some of it and ignore the rest?

Jeff

Rod Bender, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  2. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Bloody good question Jeff. I read most of the new posts on the forum and believe we have quite a few very knowledgeable fishos on TBX that are only to willing to pass this knowledge on to others. I have picked up a few little things that have helped me out by reading the posts and I.M.O the info and advice passed on is great. I do trust the advice that is given. But to be honest at times I do ignore the info given because it's a bit complicated for the type of fishing I do.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 3:37 PM
    diesel, Rod Bender and creekboy like this.
  3. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    X2. Cheers, Lyall.

diesel and kev209 like this.
  4. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    We are creatures of habit and I for one use the same techniques I learned as a kid. I agree with Kev and I trust what you guys post up- but I disregard some because it just doesnt apply to the type of fishing I do, but I have learned a few things over the year from different forums all the same.

9/10 times I learn from doing rather than reading- I remember the first time I ever used plastics and I was out on a mates boat. I had no idea so I just watched and tried as best I could to do what he was doing, but in a bit of a spastic kinda way- then I boated my first flattie on SP and I was super stoked.

IMHO -Some things you just cannot learn from a website you just have to watch, take it in and keep trying to learn

5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I can relate to that Kev, especially when it comes to the likes of fly fishing. I have never tried it nor had the inclination to try it, so whenever a topic relating to it pops up on the forum I skip past it. I admire the expertise of those who have mastered it, but it's just not for me.

For many years I resisted the changes that infiltrated the world of fishing, things like graphite rods, braided line, soft plastics, etc and I was strictly old school, fibre glass rods, mono line and fresh bait. I was laughed at by a few of my more progressive fishing mates who tried their hardest to drag me kicking and screaming into the 21st century until finally I took the leap. I do like the new technology and I am constantly hungry to seek out new info.
    I pick up little bits of info from Youtube or forums that just make the tiniest degree of difference to the way I fish and ultimately the catch rate. It doesn't always work and sometimes I have been known to yell obscenities at the fishing gods for allowing me to be led astray.

Jeff

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  6. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Over the years I have become more progressive and I have been using graphite rods and braid/flouro and have tried all sorts of lure fishing from spinning metals off boats and off the beaches to throwing plastics and hard bodies around the creeks and sand flats.
    At the end of the day I still go back to bait and since I don't have a boat and... well I just dont have the initiative to spin for hours on end and not catch anything- I guess I know reliability of drowning a few beach worms and some mullet and yakka slabs are going to give me some fun on a good day, and I still use e-glass rods off the beach I just dont like graphite rods for beach fishing and I wont ever use them... In fact I have gone back to using UglyStik/Silstar Powertip and ABU Muscle tip rods for majority of my fishing and I like them a lot.
    I quite like to go and have a flick every now and then but I tend to lose more lures than catch fish so I tend to only do it when I need a quick fix, as opposed to going to the suds for several hours and reelax with a few quiet ales and its just me and the world.
    Like I said something you cannot learn from the internet but sure the theory is great for research but you only really learn by trial and error and practical application of those things.

7. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    With regards to fly fishing, I have a Canadian Grizzly fly rod of some 50 odd years of age, and a fly reel with 4lb mono line that accounted for many trout from the Rubicon and Goulburn rivers 40 to 50 years ago. Only ever used floating hoppers on a size 12 hook with a tiny split shot down all the fast runs. "Memories." Regards, Lyall.

8. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I agree with Anthony in regards to the best way to learn is to get out there. But you can sort out members on a forum who you can trust after a few weeks or even quicker. Then I will take on board what they suggest...and then go out and try it. So online info is good for a starting point. But I never take any notice of products being pushed by sponsored anglers,
    Cheers
    Jim