1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

That eternal carp war

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Old fisho, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    It seems the war will never end. The protagonists do much talking and abusing one another (with a degree of politeness of course), but there seems to be no end in sight.
    Yesterday Bill and I took my boat out for a fish and having told him much about this battle, he suggested we join in but try as we might, we never looked like catching one of these smelly mud eaters.
    We tried metal vibes, soft plastic vibes, hard bodies, threw many soft plastics, as well as waving a fly around for a short time and even pumped some nippers for bait. We finished the day with close to twenty flathead and one luderick about 30cm, but only seven were worth keeping.
    We travelled numerous kilometres over the lake in our attempts to avoid the wind that peaked around 20 km. The morning was quite warm before the wind got up and it was quite cool all afternoon. Bit in spite of all this effort, not one sign of a carp did we find. This was surprising as I thought the fish we caught were generally more difficult to catch than carp.
    Can some of you experts tell us where we went wrong?
    Noel
    Frustrated carp fisher

2. CornaCarpio

CornaCarpio Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    I think you need to take Bender to your secret Carp spot...

CC
    Pointing the opposition in the right direction!

3. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Use worms! Worms are that effective on carp, carp have been known to follow the scent of worms into saltwater! :cool:
    You may also pick up a (sea run) trout!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Confident enough to help out his adversaries!

4. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    My sincere thanks for your prompt advice CC. We shall of course approach Bender with that in mind and consider all advice when next we go out.
    I had begun to think we failed because there were simply no carp to catch.
    I now see that was an unwise thought pattern, based entirely on ignorance.

Bender,
    We fished right through winter with worms we pumped out of a large sand bar and all we caught was lots of whiting, bream, luderick etc. It's becoming obvious that our failed efforts must be due to our tekneek, or perhaps lack of it. I'm not sure how to spell that big word. It's not because we haven't put in the effort. We have spent a fortune on you-beaut gear and always wear trendy looking old fishing clothes. Yesterday we actually used for the first time, a brand new electric motor. (The previous one was somewhat worn out). Being afraid of cold water, I also wear long rubber boots that come all the way up to my bum. But it's all been in vain.
    Noel
    The elusive carp continue to avoid us.
    Now thinking they are possibly afraid of us.

creekboy, Rod Bender and Madfisher like this.
  5. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    If it's any consolation Noel, you weren't the only one to not catch a Carp on the weekend...

CC
    Doughnuts

creekboy, Old fisho and Rod Bender like this.
  6. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Well i ventured out to the cold water below chifley dam, I landed my first trout on fly here back in the mid 70s. When you guessed it, hooked 4 carp and landed three. My mate gave me this special little brown marabou fly that he swears by. First fish i spotted i covered, next thing i see her chewing and i was on. for about 2 mins till she bolted into a snag pile and I lost my u beaut fly. And I had not made a copy either buggar.
    nothing big mid 60s and 7lb.
    cheers pete

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    Master Baiter, creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  7. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Before making a copy Pete, you first have to believe it's needed and that won't happen until after you've used it.
    Have done the same thing myself a couple of times.
    Thinking we should give up on this carp challenge. We simply can't get it to work here in Tuross Lake. No sea run trout either like Bender seemed to think possible.

creekboy and Madfisher like this.
  8. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    There are carp in the upper shoalhaven, my young bloke fished it. Spectular scenery, but to hard a walking for old fellas.

creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  9. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    Hi Noel,

I may have found a solution to the 'carp problem' you are experiencing, i.e. no carp.

I too didn't fare too well yesterday, but I think if you fish in the afternoons before to dusk to sundown your chances will improve considerably. I only had a spare hour or two to fish tonight and landed one, as opposed to fishing during most of the daylight hours yesterday.

Hope this advice helps and may your boat be filled with Carp.

Cornchips

10. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks for the support CC.
    However, I have decided to go with the retiring flow and drop out of the competition. It would be less embarrassing than reaching the grand final (wherever that might be held) and not have a single score on the board.
    I wish you luck in your efforts against the most experienced Bender. But never forget; Madfisher Pete is the one you really have to watch if I might pass on advice.
    Noel
    Born a winner, not a born loser.

11. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Not sure what you mean here CC with your timeframe? Do you mean before dusk and at sundown? I have said it before and I will say it again...you should try after dark as well.

My nemesis is the heat! I was going to go this Wednesday but it will be 35...yeah...nah! May go after dark though at the local channel. Not likely to get a winner carp there.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    CC is that down and out, he can't string a logical sentence together!

creekboy, Old fisho and Madfisher like this.
  12. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    Down, on the canvass...But not out! Just temporarily tongue-tied!

I meant late afternoon through to dark (If that is any clearer) they seem to come on the bite just before dark a lot of the time down at the creek.

As for the night itself, I haven't really tried it - as I can't see what I'm doing! And I get hungry/tired after a while too...

35 degrees sounds good to me, but that's just me. Can't guarantee I'll be heading out on Wednesday though, as I may be too exhausted from work. Getting up pre-dawn, going to work, then fishing the nebulous 'evening bite' makes for a long day...

CC
    Did I stutter?

creekboy, blair, Madfisher and 2 others like this.
  13. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Get yourself a light! That is how we do it here north of the divide! Or do you think us country people can see in the dark?:cool:

Also, 35 is fine for fish catching! I myself just physically can't be bothered with it!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Admits he can not match CC in the stamina department!

14. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Its easy to catch carp at tuross first just dam off the estuary entrance to the sea, pump out the saltwater and allow to fill whith fresh water, get some carp fingerlings or fertilised roe from the nearest carp hatchery, throw them in the new freshwater estuary wait for 20 years and use corn for bait!
    I am sure all the local fishermen will be really pleased if some one did this.:confused:

15. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    With all the talk about carp lately, I found a map that shows their distribution and they certainly can be found in a large area.

Carp zone 2.JPG

By the looks of it, they are moving north at a fast rate.....not good.

Jeff

16. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Does anyone know where the carp started , all I know is some government dingbat put them in lake burley griffen to eat the massive floating weed beds that were in the lake, the carp nearly killed everything in the lake. I had not heard of carp before that.
    Looking at the map it looks like they are heading right for you Diesel!

17. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    The mud lizards will love them Blair.

creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  18. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Diesel, you have just provided the answer to one of my big problems.
    Having tried without success to catch one of these competition carp; (I have done years ago)
    and find that your map indicates that there are none in this area. I've been wasting my time all along.
    I'd started to think I was an even worse fisher than I really am.
    Thanks for the help.
    Noel

blair, diesel and Rod Bender like this.
  19. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    Hi Blair,

I'm not sure where the Carp 'started' in Australia exactly - they have been here a very long time, but obviously came with European settlement. Apparently they weren't too much of a problem until as late as the 1960s when some dams in Gippsland flooded, eventually releasing the 'Boolara' strain of Carp into the wild. From there, as the map above shows, they've colonised nearly every fresh-water waterway in VIC/NSW and some parts of southern QLD in a very short amount of time.

You can read more about it here:

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2006/08/09/1709469.htm

http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/carp-the-australian-story

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boolarra,_Victoria

CC
    Staying informed

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    blair, diesel, creekboy and 3 others like this.
  20. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    CC. I've always understood they came from Asia and therefore wonder why we call them European carp.
    I tend to think the earliest Asians here may have been Chinese miners arriving for the gold fields but also doubt those people would have been bringing live fish with them. That suggests their arrival through later means of transport and migration to Australia.
    Definitely not guaranteed information. More like supposition.
    Noel.

blair, diesel and creekboy like this.