1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

The Law of the Vital Few

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by diesel, Jun 14, 2018.

1. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Back in the late 1800's, a bloke by the name of Vilfrido Pareto undertook a detailed study to find out who owned the land in Italy and his final determination showed that 80% of the land was owned by 20% of the people. It also applied to the wealth of Italy where 20% of the population had squirrelled away 80% of the cash. This became known as the Pareto Principle or better known as the 80/20 rule, but I use the term 'The Law of the Vital Few'.

What has this got to do with fishing, you may ask? Not a hell of a lot, apart from the fact that a similar principle applies to piscatorial pursuit where it has been determined over a period of time that 10% of fishermen catch 90% of the fish.

So, what about the rest of us, the 90% of fishos that share only 10% of the catch? The principle still applies, where I believe that 10% of those not included in the vital few will catch 90% of the remaining 10% of fish and it goes down the scale until you get to the bottom 10% of fishos who rarely catch fish.

I rate myself somewhere up around the top 30% of those outside the elite vital few. I have good days and the occasional donut days, but most times I go fishing I will catch something, albeit not the target species or a trophy fish to brag about.

What about the rest of you lot? How would you rate yourself and for what reason?

Jeff

2. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I would class myself in the bottom 10%. I go fishing to sit back, relax and enjoy myself, if I catch a fish it's a bonus.
    The day I stop enjoying fishing will be the day I will give it away. Over the years I have been a member of a couple of Angling Clubs and would never join another one. I found the members that are in the high percentage [catch rate] are that competitive and don't want anything to do with the old bait soker's like myself. Hear on TBX we have some top anglers who catch a lot of fish they don't brag about it over and over or look down on fisho's like me.

3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I share your view of angling clubs, Kev. I was a member of the Newcastle Bluewater Fishing Club back in the 70's and there was a high degree of snobbishness in the club and it came from those who had the biggest boats, the top brands in gear and the highest catch rate.

I am not a fan of tournament fishing, mainly because of the extreme competitive nature of it and the total lack of respect for other fishos and the environment demonstrated by too many who partake in the competitions, but it seems that this particular type of fishing is where you will find the top 10%.

I do think that there is more of a level playing field amongst most recreational fishos these days, gone are the days where only the wealthiest could afford top gear. The introduction of graphite rods, braided line, chemically sharpened hooks and the vast selection of lures available has created a new and affordable fishing experience.

When I lived close to my favourite fishing patches, I was quite content to sit on the bank of a river or the end of a jetty, completely lost in my own little world and if I caught a fish, I was satisfied - if I didn't catch one, I was still satisfied because I was doing what I liked. Now that I live so far away from good fishing spots, I need to guarantee a successful session to justify the time and expense of getting there and back.

Jeff

4. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Well put in both instances, Jeff. I fit in with Kev on this, and yourself in prior years. Cheers. Lyall.

Old fisho, diesel and kev209 like this.
  5. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I'm around the same as you diesel, good days and a few bad days, I seem to catch more though when I'm fishing with Rod Bender,:D, cheers davo

6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    The reason I have started this topic is mainly due to hearing the same thing from so many people (mainly tourists), that they can't or don't catch many fish. I have a stall at our local markets every Sunday where I flog off a bit of fishing gear that is surplus to my needs and also a lot of cheap lures and it's usually only travellers that stop for a browse, some buy, most don't, but I seem to hear that same old thing - they haven't caught a fish since leaving Vic or Sydney or wherever they came from. Why?

Some people have health issues that pose restrictions on the way they fish or I should say the way they would like to fish, but there are a lot of people who are not prepared to try something different in an attempt to improve their catch rate. I am surprised at the number of fishos that I talk to who have never tried soft plastics as an alternative to bait fishing, regardless of the fact that bait fishing is not working for them for whatever reason. I often hear the comment that the fish were there, but there was no bait available - a few packets of sp's or a couple of hard-bodies fixes that problem.

My advice to those who say that they can't catch fish is to change the way they go about their fishing - try something different.

Jeff

7. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Our son has taken up using SP's and has been picking up a few fish. He did quite a bit of Coarse fishing over the years, now he has gone to SP's I dont think he will go back to bait fishing.

Old fisho, Rod Bender, diesel and 2 others like this.
  8. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Another few pearls of wisdom in these posts. At least it creates a bit of action in the replies. Cheers, creekboy (Lyall).

Old fisho, AJ Fishman, diesel and 2 others like this.
  9. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    That is just an optical illusion as I make you look good!!!!

I would rate myself in the lowest 20%. Some people who know me...and the gear I have, would think I am a classic case of 'all the gear and no idea'! Reality is it is 'all the gear and no physical ability to use it'! This will balance out one day and 'fish man' will be back! Yep...that's what my mates kids called me back in the good old days when I used to do very well on the trout at a local impoundment.

I was also referred to as a 'freak' by another very good angler out there. Three of us fishing one evening, my arch nemesis Nev and another guy. Nev was further down and as the other guy walked past, I asked him if Nev had caught any and mentioned that Nev was a champion out there. The friendly reply was that Nev had not caught anything and in fact Nev told him that I was a 'freak' in regards to catching trout there! The good old days!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Whatever happened?!!!!

Old fisho, creekboy, diesel and 2 others like this.
  10. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Sounds like to me that you were both pi$$en in each others pockets, lol, cheers davo

11. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    OK, you haven't had to put up with me for a while but I'm still around. The past three months have not been a bundle of joy. Quite the reverse. Being incapable of going to fish also included almost all other activities; even driving.
    I have done little for TBX and have not wet a fishing line.
    Any spare energy has gone into my book which is currently with the printers. Medico says we have made no improvement to date and some clouds remain on the horizon. Meanwhile; we are targeting the sunny days in between.
    To try and answer Jeff's question; I will try to categorise my fishing. Put simply; I think I fish fairly well and when out there I fish quite seriously. Any success I have can reasonably be attributed to effort.
    It is not within me to accept catching a fish as a bonus. That's said with respect to other guys. The main reason I stay with TBX is; we can speak (write) openly and honestly, without idiots being offended by something that meant no harm in the first place. To my mind there is only one reason to fish and that's to catch fish. I am pleased that catching nothing is for me a rare thing. There was a time I fished 3-4 times a week but cannot cope with that now and
    I've had one doughnut here in seven and a half years.
    Trust me please; I am far from being an egotist but this is the way I see it. I may have never reached the so-called top 10%. Perhaps I did. A normal year here was above 500 fish and often closer to 1000. Even today I treat ten fish (regardless of size or species) per day as my personal benchmark and usually reach it. Our keep rate is of course below 5%. Fly fishing the mountain lakes was never calculated in that way but if less than a couple were caught each session; it was not considered a good day. I had some doughnuts there too. And you can happily consider trout to be among the most temperamental of all fish; fresh or salt.
    While I have had several successes in the Snowy Mountains Trout Festival; I don't normally fish competitions and have not entered that one for about 13 years. There is enough competition between me and the fish without adding people to the equation.
    I hope to be back here more often soon. Noel.

creekboy, DeeBeeKay and kev209 like this.
  12. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Great to see your back at the keyboard.

creekboy, DeeBeeKay and Old fisho like this.