1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Things are starting to warm up.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by Madfisher, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Here in the Central tablelands of Nsw we are just entering a warming phase, thank god.
    Now most of you know the fishing i enjoy the most is sight flyfishing, weather it be for trout, golden perch or carp. Sadly the trout are in serious decline these days.
    The other perverse thing is I like a challenge, that forces me to use the old grey matter..
    Now the most sensible thing at this time of year would be to head to a lowland lake , or river in search of carp, but I am a bit weird I have this little Jewel of a lake situated at high attitude, just slightly less then 1000m, it still holds a few trout, redfin , Cod and Goldens and mega sized carp. Now these carp are super fat, super spooky , and fussy as all hell. I have sent mates there and they think i have played a sick joke on them.

Last wednesday was forecast to be 22c in Bathurst, would it be enough to get these highland behemoths moving out into the shallows , any way i decided to go, its a reasonable drive 70ks one way.
    Get out there and the temp is only 16c, damm, briefly considered moving to a low attitude location but decided to at least have a look for and hour or so.
    Rigged up and walked towards the flats and swamps up the back with out much confidence, but after a few hundred metres I spotted some muddy water , obviously caused by a carp feeding near by. after a while I briefly spot one, but he disappears into the murk before I can get a fly in front of him. This has lifted my spirits, and indeed 100m on I spook and unseen carp that was right on the bank, buggar and i was still 10m away. Walk another half a k, then spook another one that was right in the tussocks DAMM.
    Now in ultra stealth mode I creep slowly forward while scanning, the water visability is not good only 50cm, finally come to a favourite bay and spot stirred up mud on the far side. Now the kid in me all ways wants to rush around there and get my fly in front of the carp, but of course thats deadly, so i spend several minutes tip toeing around the bay , and once in postion i see a broad back of a smaller carp. Tea bag the lightly weighted Woolly worm down 30cm in front and wait. She moves in the general direction but then disappears as the fly sinks, i wait a while and gently lift and come up tight. What a feeling of elation of beating the odds in this difficult fishery.
    The carp tears out into the lake its heavier then i first thought, but the still cold water has slowed her somewhat. I eventually beach her and pick up a typical carp from this lake, fat and fit, 67cm and a tad over 9lb.
    I start now to retrace my steps and briefly spot a monster that appears near the surface then disappears, between 80 and 90cm is my estimate. I get a fly in front , but to no avail.
    I now work my way right back around the top of the lake to where i seen the carp earlier feeding, sneak up and theirs one on my right but sun baking with his head all most touching the reeds, to damm hard a shot. Then notice two more moderate sized ones on my left also sun baking, I cover the closest one and land the fly a little to close, she flinches and moves back but then surges forward and engulfs the fly. The moment i set the hook i know I am in trouble, i am in a terrible spot to land a heavy fish , and i have no landing net, rushes on one side, large tussocks all around.
    She surges straight out through the weed in front, this fish is much more powerfull then the last one, I consider trying to stop her , but i knew the 12lb tippet would not hold. Lucky she keeps on goings and I hold the rod tip high as I can and the flyline pulls clear. Finally stop her with two turns of flyline left on the reel, then start working her back.
    Get her close and she dives into the rushes beside me, finally clear her from that and she burrows under all the tussocks around me. Put the rod down and follow the flyline and leader and find her still attached. get my hands in her gills and she is mine. get her on the bank and realise what a magnificant specimen she is, 75cm of muscle and i think my scales where dodgy but they said 14lb so i will go with that.
    I have got some pics on my phone if any one wants to see.
    This is the 2nd best carp i have got from here, last year i landed one that went 18lb and i have seen much bigger.
    Cheers Guys

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    diesel, Master Baiter, blair and 4 others like this.
  2. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    They fight dont they. Everything in life has at least one redeaming quality, so they say. Im not sure about some people I've met over the years though.
    But yeah, the Carps is it fights good!

diesel, creekboy, Old fisho and 2 others like this.
  3. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Yes mate , and the carp in this highland lake are much bigger then average(like the average is 9lb) and crazy strong. But its more the spotting, stalking, getting the cast just right and then watching the eat that i love.
    Cheers Pete

4. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I guess those of us who sight fish should all give them a go. It's a wonderful way to hunt anything and many of the odds are on their side.
    Well done Pete. Great story.
    Noel
    Wishes he could still hunt over that distance.

5. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Thanks Noel, sadly this little lake at 980m use to hold really good trout, till some idiot dumped redfin and carp in there. Still I find the carp here ultra challenging and have returned home empty handed quite a few times. Best ever score was on 5, but some of the carp here would run to 30lb. the 18lber i got was only a pup. One other day a pod swam past me, covered all the big ones, which showed complete disdain for the fly. But the little runt raced up and grabbed the fly, on landing her i discovered she weighed 9lb.
    cheers pete

diesel, creekboy, Old fisho and 2 others like this.
  6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Pete; how big can they actually reach?
    I once worked with a guy who came from near Kerang.
    He told me of one found in a patch of mud after a big flood
    that was still alive (just) and reputedly weighed 86lb.
    Is that possible?
    I considered him incapable of telling a lie.

This post is about warming up.
    I thought things in here were already HOT.
    What's happening with the Bender/Carpo war?
    There's no news: Are they living out on the battlefield
    or staying home drawing up tactical plans?
    Perhaps they should invite Madfisher to oversee it all
    in the role of a five star general.
    Noel
    Ever wondering

7. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Noel in the crystal clear great lakes of America they regularly take on fly carp to 30lb with the once a year 40lber. they use 10wt rods with 200m of backing and from the videos i have seen they need all of that.
    Like all fish , there max size is governed by how much food is available, and how much competition there is for that food. I have worked out to get big fish you need large predators to thin the smaller ones out, and perhaps not ideal breeding conditions. So in the great lakes you have musky, various pikes, and large salmon, in the more southern states they have large mouth bass.
    Now i use to find flyfishing wyangala dam for carp quite unrewarding as there was endless numbers of 3 to 5lbers, and quite frankly after the first 20 i would be sick of it,but the Cod population has now built up to a high level with lots of metre plus fish.We are catching carp to 14lb(which will run you so far on flats that you can not see your flyline) and having to work a lot harder for them, so hopefully this is looking good for the future. And I AM HEARING REPORTS OF 20LBERS BEING SEEN.
    In Europe they do catch carp to 80lb, but its and artificial environment as the bait fishers throw endless amounts of ground up food in to attract them
    So to answer your question if that carp was one of the first invaders into new water it could well have grown to that size.
    In the late 80s i remember witnessing the first carp invaders working up the Abercrombie river, they where held up by a decent set of rapids. Theses where big fish and we where hooking them on celtas, but not landing any. we stopped casting to them as they where destroying our light gear, and costing us to many lures. lol
    Cheers Pete

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  8. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    It's all amazing stuff to ignorant me Pete.
    I worked with the bloke Lindsay and would try to believe anything he told me. He was such a stickler for the truth, and that's hard to believe because he was also a dedicated fisher and duck shooter. Even enjoyed a beer.
    We saw carp running up the Queanbeyan River a few years ago. They were all what you call 'littlies' around a couple of kilos. The water was thick with them; the surface a sheet of foam. As they say; you could walk across them and keep your feet dry. Only a hundred metres from home (max) I ran to get the video camera. Ran back and there was not one to be seen. We guessed it was a spawning run but to me they were going the wrong way, as in downstream. Most go the other way when ready to spawn.
    Noel

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  9. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    The gospel according to Dr Google
    Carp are reported to grow to over one metre in length, and 60 kg in weight. In Australia, this species reaches 10 kg, but 4-5 kg is more usual.
    Noel

creekboy, kev209 and Madfisher like this.
  10. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Thanks Noel, i just got a message from my fishing mate Bob, that he has gone out to my little lake with his rv, for a few days. Would I care to join him. Well the gear is in the 4wd, if theres no work tomorrow i will be off.
    Cheers Pete

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  11. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    That is interesting. I have mates in the UK that show me pictures of absolute pigs of carps. They catch them in mostly catch release large ponds, small lakes. Some even have names. But even though they have become the Aussie water rabbit/cane toad here they dont seem to be caught as big as over there. Even though here they seem to be an out of contol pest! Why is that? Some kind of environmental size suppression even though on the other end , breeding numbers, they cut loose?

12. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Two reasons i believe Chili, first they are artificially fed. Part of the carp scene there is bait fishers throw in stacks of what they term ground bait, whole buckets full. And they dont breed that well there because of the cold climate.
    Thirdly in Australia they tend to over populate unless heavily fished, and as there is the same amount of food for more mouths they tend to get lean and not grow as big. We have creeks where we have removed around 70% of the carp, and the survivors now are in much better condition and allow more food for natives or trout.
    cheers pete

creekboy, Chili and kev209 like this.
  13. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Who would have thought that a scungy carp could be such good sport? I miss not having a carp polaroiding lake nearby, I am sure the trout decline is fisheries policy they have gone all pro native fish, not that there is anything wrong whith native fish I find trout really good sport they are an "addictive " fish .

14. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Mate i dont think we can blame fisheries for trouts decline, there are quite a few reasons up here in central NSW.
    (1) Firstly hotter and drier summers.
    (2) More droughts, and droughts closer together.
    (3) extensivie planting of pine forests in our high rain fall areas, that then lead to springs drying up.
    (4) Removal of willows from streams. Trout need cool water, and i have noticed trout where often found in under willows. The once famous Campbells river now does not support trout as all the willows where removed.
    (5) Redfin, once redfin invade a lake up here the trout(And Mac perch) soon disaapear.
    (6) Carp have taken over streams and cause turbidty, they may well dig up the gravel and eat the eggs although that is un proven at this stage.

creekboy, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  15. jedgpz

jedgpz Active Member

Aug 15, 2019
    I don't mind catching carp, they fight hard for their size and are great fun on light gear.
    I am off to the UK in a week or so and was asked if I was going to go fishing over there, but I dont think I will paid good money to catch and release a carp.....
    Cheers Jed

16. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    CC is resting on his laurels, deeply enveloped within a false sense of security. I have a few mechanical issues with my car and am therefore only driving it to work as I 'nurse' the car thru to an appointment with the mechanic whilst basking in confidence of my CC beating ability!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Answers the tough questions!

17. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Hi mate, here in Vic they have gone bananas stocking trout in the lakes. Thousands upon thousands. Im going today for a fish for some. Very sunny though so odds are not in my favour. Still, I just need to get out for a fish.

18. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    For curiosity what does it cost to fish, C&R in one of there carp lakes. I was told you have to pay for the number of rods you use, and pay to fish the impoundment as well.

Old fisho and creekboy like this.
  19. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Yes I agree madfisher, those things aren't good for the trout, Oberon dam never bounced back to its good trout fishing after the bad drought about 15 years ago, not that I know of anyway.

20. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Blair and I think that was about the time of the redfin introduction. I still fish it occassionally and get the odd trout. The poloroiding there in the early 90s was unreal, with fat browns to 5lb.
    Cheers Pete.

creekboy, Old fisho and kev209 like this.