1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Things we find

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Madfisher, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Its funny how some things we find go on to have great sentimental value to us.
    A few years ago while walking around Burrendong dam poloroiding I stepped over part of a rod buried in the mud, obviously either dropped over board from a boat , or pulled in by a carp.
    Anyway and hour later retracing my steps i had a closer look and realised the bottom half with reel attached was not far away. Picking up both bits it hit me that the rod was in fact intact , and most likely clean up ok. The reel would be a write off. Once I got to a gravel section of foreshore i gave the rod a rough clean using my hands and water, and was surprised to see it was in rather good condition.
    On arriving home that night i googled the rod and discovered to my pleasure it was a $200 spinning rod and the reel was worth the same.
    So i quickly got to it and gave the rod a proper clean and it came up like new. I discovered the reel was not seized, but i gave it a good wash in warm soapy water then dried it and pulled it apart and regreased and oiled it and it worked like a beauty as well. I am still using the line that was on it ( Yeah I know part scottish ancestry)
    I mainly use it when bait fishing with the grand kids or when camping.
    It is now my favourite large water rod as it will cast further then my other rods being 7 feet 6ins long.
    Anyway tell us of things you have found that are now part of your character?
    Tight lines guys

2. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Never found anything any good but lost a good custom made rod whith ABU2500 on it and I think a jewfish attached in Brisbane waters.

3. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Thats a bit sad mate, i have broken a few fly rods in the final stages of trying to land a carp over the years. And had a complete outfit pulled in by a carp in Wyangala. I have found hundreds of lures over the years walking the banks.
    Cheers Pete

4. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Member

Sep 9, 2019
    Oh man Blair, that would have been a bad day on the water. :(

I've not got anything of substantial sentimental value. I did, however, manage to pull a Shimano Taipan and Cazna 2500 out of Tuross late last year (now known in the fam as the 'rod fish'). Was quite a surprise as I figured it was an occy based on the resistance through the water. Took a bit of cleaning and lubricating, and had to replace the manky mono with some new braid, but overall it came up quite well.
    It's now our 'guest' rod for when mates forget their gear or when someone doesn't normally fish.

5. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Nice find mate. I also once found a little light trout spinning rod up in the high country in a tiny little hole. My guess was they got the poops and threw it at the fish lol.

creekboy, kev209 and blair like this.
  6. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    That will teach me to use proper rod holders not the handle on back of tinnie.:confused:

7. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I lost another good friend Today.

creekboy likes this.
  8. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Sorry to hear that Kev.

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  9. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Sorry kev but I can't like that post and I know how you feel ......

on a brighter note I found this on a Riverbank 39 years ago while fishing for trout it has been used just about every week since ......

[​IMG]

10. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Member

Sep 9, 2019
    That's terrible news Kev; my condolences mate.

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  11. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Member

Sep 9, 2019
    LOL....were that the case, the fish won on two counts..... :D

Wow, that's a cool find. What's the serrated tool? If that was a saw, you've been busy in the garden. ;)

kev209, Tackleberry and Madfisher like this.
  12. Hen and Chook

Hen and Chook Active Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Pete, I hooked onto a rod and reel whilst trolling during the Burrendong Classic a few years ago, a nice little Shimano which looked like it had only recently been lost. Unfortunately there wasn't a fish still on it.

Chook

13. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Fishing at Wonboyn (far south coast) years ago and the tip of a small rod bent down quickly. The butt went up in the air and it literally somersaulted before hitting the water a couple of meters away. Danny and I were convinced it was one of Wonboyn's famous huge dusky flathead that can reach 20lb. Danny threw a big lure around and picked up the line, Because of the angles of the line, we knew the fish was still on. A quick wash to get some mud out of the reel and we prepared to do battle. Turned out to be a bream about 1/2 a pound. Big let down. Don't underestimate small fish.
    Friend Ken was in my boat a couple of years ago (he's no fisher) and wound up a stick on SPs. It was actually a shimano rod and reel without any dirt on it. Maybe only there a day or two. The hook was still in the keeper loop so we assumed dropped overboard. I washed and cleaned it all and after googling, found it was around $200 each for rod and reel. I gave it back to him of course and will guarantee it's never seen water since.
    A few weeks ago Bill and I found an Ugly Stick standing up on the bank. It had obviously been in the water a long time and discarded. The cheap reel went in the bin but I gave the cleaned up and perfect 2-4kg rod to my PC guru.
    Nothing really exciting but it's like going fishing and catching big fish. If you're out there often enough you'll eventually get one as you will also find odd things.
    Noel

14. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Did you know?
    Though called the Swiss Army Knife; the Swiss army has never had any involvement with them.
    Noel
    A bundle of worthless knowledge.

15. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Kev sorry for your loss mate.
    Tackleberry thats a great find, and you obviously have a sentimental attachment there.
    Cheers Guys.

16. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I found a fly box full of well made flys matching the insects found around oberon, while fishing a stream in or near oberon. Years later while fishing the wallerrang interclub flyfishing comp I was talking to a bloke who had the same surname that was on the box of flys I asked if he had a relative that fished the area and had he lost a box of flys, he said yes and knew the first name on the box it was his brother so I gave him the flys , bet that made his brothers day.

17. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Yep...... as a kid I didn't have much (still dont) if I was very lucky I would get a dollar or 2 pocket money so I had to earn everything I got and look after it as well .
    Never even got a new bike until I bought one with my own money when I was 16 so yeah I tend to keep things longer than I should ......
    I bet it did ...... this is a great thread......

creekboy, kev209, Old fisho and 3 others like this.
  18. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I once picked up a full wallet of flies in NZ while walking along the Tongariro. The difference was; I knew who owned them. While fishing with my best mate Monty an hour or so later, he discovered he'd dropped or lost all his flies. Of course I loaned him a couple. It wasn't until we were finished dinner that night and he was starting to tie some replacements that I gave them to him. he threatened to drown me in Glefidich single malt while I thought; what a way to go.
    Noel.

creekboy, kev209, blair and 3 others like this.
  19. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Member

Sep 9, 2019
    In a world where consumerism seems to have gone mad, I reckon you're keeping them for just the right amount of time if that knife is anything to go by. ;)

+1 :)

LOL....
    Glenfidich......that's the one you add Coke to, right? :p
    Definitely worse ways to go.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    creekboy, kev209, blair and 2 others like this.
  20. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    My wife picked up a beautifull box of mainly dry flies in Tasmania, obviously washed down. And she will not share them with me still 15 years later. lol. And I have dropped a box of flies and a mate picked them up, took a bit of convincing that they where in fact mine.

creekboy, kev209, Old fisho and 3 others like this.