1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

This is the plan.....

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by diesel, Apr 24, 2019.

1. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    In 4 weeks time the bride flies off to Germany (this time on a plane and not the broom) and me, myself, along with my trusty fishing mate Dusty the Wonder Dog will launch an assault on a couple of waterways in the Glen Innes/Armidale region to try and bag a trout.

I have a short window of opportunity due to the annual closure of most of the trout waters from the Queens Birthday (June 10th) through to October which will give me near enough to 2 weeks of fishing time. I'm looking forward to the challenge, but not real keen on the low temperatures that I am sure to experience in the New England area.

Living up here in the tropics means that practically my entire collection of apparel consists of shorts, tee-shirts and polo shirts plus one and one only pair of jeans and somewhere around the place there is a long sleeved flannelette shirt that I have owned for the past 10 years.

I'm thinking that maybe I'll be needing some thermal undies or am I just being a bit of a wimp? How do you lot down south deal with the Antarctic type winter weather when it comes to fishing?

Jeff

2. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    We freeze our balls off

3. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    X2. Cheers, Lyall.

blair, Master Baiter and diesel like this.
  4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I only use mine as ornaments Kev and they do not contribute to my fishing ability in any way at all, so if they freeze and drop off they wont be missed. :rolleyes:

Jeff

5. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Just think you are in tawoomba in the middle of winter and you will be fine ;):)

blair, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  6. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    It's rapidly approaching winter Jeff and the day/s here are still, cloudless, and though now cool early, delightfully warm during the days. To be out on water with a SP bouncing along the bottom is a joy to be shared.
    And the rellies have now left. If you think we live in a refrigerator Jeff, then they must live in a freezer. Also, catering to their lack of taste and appreciation of 'fine' food was a challenge.
    Also thought you'd be going north. Have heard some great stories following the big run off.
    Noel.
    Kev, how's Lyn coping?

7. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Not great Noel, we have had a few trips to the hospital. She had an Ultrasound on her elbow yesterday, and back to the hospital Tuesday

creekboy likes this.
  8. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Kev. Not good news for Lyn, but pass on our best wishes to her for Tuesday. Lyall and Elaine.

Master Baiter and kev209 like this.
  9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I had been thinking about it Noel, but I haven't seen my dear old Mum at Lake Macquarie for a couple of years so I figured that I would do a run down, get in a bit of fishing on the way and also whilst I'm there. My young grand niece is a keen fisho and sent me a couple of pics of fish she caught over Easter in Lake Macquarie.

Taylah with flathead.jpg
    2 nice lizards - 62cm & 65cm

Taylah with bream.jpg
    40cm bream

Jeff

10. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    So......why have you not asked/forced your grand niece to be a member here? On saying that, I may comment on another thread why I don't ask people to join here.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Recruitment officer!

11. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I never thought about asking her to join TBX, Jim, but I think she is too much into the speed of social media and would probably find the forum a bit too slow. I'll ask her anyway.

Jeff

12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Haven't been to Lake Macquarie but considering heading that way for a few weeks in the near future.

Noel

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  13. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Some big flathead in Lake Macquarie, Noel, especially around the western part near Wangi Point and Pulbah Island.

There has been a bit of concern recently regarding the heavy metal pollution in the mud on the western side of the lake as a result of coal ash coming from Eraring power station, but as far as I know it is only affecting crustaceans feeding in the mud and not finned fish. The heavy metal pollution has most likely been there for decades and with the current spotlight on coal fired power stations vs renewables, all types of pollution are under examination.

Jeff

blair, creekboy, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  14. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Just got back from the snowy mountains Jeff, was -6.6C according to my car external temp guage on Friday morning and had frost in my tent, was expecting frost and probably -1C at Anglers Reach (good trout spot just ask noel).
    My redundant balls didn't drop off but I was slightly cold in my -10C rated sleeping bag and wondered why I was a bit cold. If I know it is going to be well below zero I just chuck a doona over sleeping bag and very comfy, just a bit hard to get out of in morning probably because my subconscious is going "what are u doing u idiot? it is freezing out of the bag if you get out u will die whithin seconds!"
    I would wear a thermal top and bottom if you are out fishing at night or breezy overcast conditions if fishing during day, in calm sunny wheather I get too hot wearing a thermal but I have one in my backpack or ute in case, a thermal gives u about as much warmth as wearing an insulted jacked , 2 layers of thermals allow u to travel light but keep warm if it gets really cold. I just bought a Spika rain shell but haven't tried it yet have given up on the cheapo lightweight "100% waterproof rain jackets" that slowly let the water through.
    Merino wool thermals are good apparently, I have polyester ones which work fine but can be a bit itchy and smelly after a few days in the bush. The wool thermals wick away sweat better and don't get as smelly, whish I had some on the other day spooked deer on 2 ocaisions that were downwind they were probably thinking 'whats that terrible evil smell I am getting outa here!
    The main discomfort I find in cold wheather(mostly at night) is fingertips getting really cold and starting to hurt. I have tried neoprene gloves but my my fingertips felt even colder when they got wet from handling flyline so I just rug up more than required and the extra body warmth and warm blood flowing keeps my fingertips warmer. Just wear insulated gloves if not flyfishing. If it is not breezy the cold on the fingertips is not too bad, if the fish are biting the cold is not felt as much either of course!
    One of those silly looking rabbit fur lined caps that have flaps that come down over your ears and can be connected under your chin are a must to stop your ears freezing, u may look silly but u will be comfortable. It blew off my head while trolling at lake jindabine one day and landed upside down and my mate looked around and saw it and said "hey there is a dead rabbit floating on the water" and quickly scooped it up whith a net "oh it is a hat"
    Thick cotton long cargo pants are good for the cold as well as long sleeve shirts and jumpers in a dark green or camo colour for sneaking up on wary trout. Aproach trout from downstream, they will be looking upstream head into current if stream fishing.
    If I know I will be standing in the water in my waders I put on 2 pair of socks 1 pair is thermal.
    And NO don't get pissed to keep warm before going out to fish in the cold! u get pissed around campfire upon return! I was very well insulated by alcohol on Wednesday and Thursday night whith a bloke and his mrs both from nsw and a bloke from vic who said he only gets trout about 25-30 cms in vic, luckily they caught a 2.5 lb pound and he got to see a proper nsw trout! Mick (nsw) probably said "oh just a tiddler".
    If your are camping in high country peg your tent down well, winds can quickly get high, a tent next to me got ripped up on Friday and don't camp under trees or in their fall radius if possible one went down on Friday nearby as well. I use my ute as a wind block if nessasry.
    If your line is freezing to the rod guides just dip it in the water and u will get another cast and retrieve in.
    That's my 2c,s worth on cold wheather fishing.

Tight lines and I hope u get that 1st trout, they are a great sportfish beutifull as well.

15. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Weeeeell, that says it all and makes all of us who love our trout fishing sound rather stupid. However, there's a confession to make. I have done all that but not for a long time. I eventually learned that sight fishing with a clear sky and no wind is a vast improvement. I have rarely night fished for many years now and though I don't get to the lake often at the moment, I can still catch a fish or two while there. Usually fishing Eucumbene during warmer months now, I wear rubber boots, thigh boots at worst, with light weight street shirts and pants in drab colours, staying dry and comfortable while rarely getting my feet wet. But Blair is right. It can and does get as bad as he says. Don't trust the alpine weather. Seriously using different methods, it can kill. That's without getting in the water. I still love it though. Noel.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  16. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Thanks for the info Blair & Noel.

Having worked in the high country as a young bloke, I certainly know what to expect when it comes to the fickleness of alpine weather and the effect that extreme cold can have on the body. It was the cold that drove me away from the mountains and I was determined never to return during winter months - playing and fishing in the cold is one thing, you can always get out of it when you've had enough, but working from an hour before sunrise through to a couple of hours after sunset in freezing conditions was nothing short of torture.

I wont be spending too much time trying to land a trout if the weather turns bad - no fish is worth putting oneself through misery and discomfort in my opinion, but it wasn't always that way. There was a time when I would have endured any sort of weather just to put a line in the water and spent many a night in torrential cold rain standing on a beach or a breakwall just to go head to head with a big jewie or a bronzie, but them days are well behind me now. As much as I like my fishing, I do like to be warm, dry & comfortable - I've turned into a big sook in my old age. Sitting next to a fire with a bottle of Galway Pipe Fine Old Tawny Port to keep me company will do me if it gets too cold.

Jeff

blair, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  17. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    At least you have reasonable taste in port during your misery.

18. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I do like a good port, Noel. There are those that are produced for cooking and guzzling out of coffee mugs and there are those that are for sipping and the pure enjoyment that only comes from a top shelf bottle. Galway Pipe has long been a favourite of mine along with Penfolds Grandfather for special occasions.

Jeff

19. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Me too. I guzzle a bit of the common stuff as well but given a choice I prefer Grandfather over Galway Pipe. Being fortified wines, ports are constructed using brandy spirit and I find the spirit in the Galway finish more pronounced than in Grandfather.

We have individual tastes and preferences and am sure some will disagree with me.
    Noel
    I n
    ote you've removed your signature statement.

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  20. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Some years ago, I had the privilege of sharing half a bottle of 1933 Seppelts Para Port with a friend in Sydney and a fine drop it was.

Yes, Noel, I did remove my signature statement a while back - part of a general cleanup of things and never got around to putting up a new one. Must do it. You are very observant.

Jeff