1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

tiller or console

Discussion in 'Boats' started by skinnee, Jun 22, 2009.

1. skinnee

skinnee New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    After some feedback on whether to shell out extra $$$ for a small side console.

Am getting a 435 Hornet or Stacer 435 (depends on what dealer comes up with the goods (price and service) new and based in the ABP i will be going with a 40HP 4 Stroke yammy.

Would you recommend going the console option?

I would like to get a trophy but the price differential is too big for my budget and there is no second hand market in South Australia.

2. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    my next boat wil be a side console so i would go for it if possible
    like the idea of being able to sit side by side with your fishing partner instead of one end each

3. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    A console is the way to go in my opinion, but are you getting an engine with power trim/tilt?

If not then you will need to leave the helm to do this which may cause some stress if you need to do this quickly.

I have a side console with power trim/tilt and it is great :)

4. hazmail

hazmail New Member

Aug 2, 2008
    I purposely bought my 435 hornet second hand with tiller steer, removed it chucked all the bits in the bin and installed a steering column without the console, you can stand up and steer, or sit down tilt the column down and steer, when fishing with the electric tilt it up walk around the boat and have as much room as you would with a tiller steer - I put it far enough from the R/H gunnel so you can walk past it - best of both worlds - everyone has a laugh as they sit hunched and cramped in behind their 'Starlo' look alike concoles, this is the second boat I have done- has a 50 EFI on it. Love it. pete

5. skinnee

skinnee New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    it will have power tilt and trim.

Hazmail, do you have any pictures

Thanks

6. hazmail

hazmail New Member

Aug 2, 2008
    No Skinnee, but I will see what I can do for ya tomorrow.pete

7. didge

didge New Member

Nov 7, 2008
    It would depend on how much room you would like to have. Tillers take up no space.
    Something else to think about is casting platforms. Good for storage but not necessary for actually using to fish. The higher you stand in your boat, the further you have to bend to reach the water and the more dangerous in the rough when being used.
    It’s really a personal choice depending on what you’re actually looking for in a fishing boat and well worth having a good think about all the pros and cons.

8. skinnee

skinnee New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    ta didge, will be fishing in the river.

Had a front and rear casting deck on my old 420 explorer and wasnt an issue.

Just trying to work out cost/benefit e.g. is the tiller a pia due to its soze weight vs a console. Im thinking console is beneficial due to being able to mount sounder/gps and watch where im going at the same time. Have not driven one its just an assumption

9. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    I personally like the tiller steer because it gives you more room to move around on the boat. It makes life much easier, but I don't own my own boat, so can only speak for experiences on other friends boats :p

10. skinnee

skinnee New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    im looking at a small side console for that reason, the sports consoles take up too much deck space.

11. hazmail

hazmail New Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Here's a few pictures sorry about the quality, the sun/shade was pretty extreme. Pics show various positions, and it will also fold right down if you want a flat cover over everything - folds from 85 deg vertical down to about 30 deg, and anywhere in between.pete

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb290/hazmail/uploads/Boat1-1.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb290/hazmail/uploads/Boat3.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb290/hazmail/uploads/Boat4.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb290/hazmail/uploads/Boat5.jpg

12. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008
    i think if its in a 435 or bigger go side console, but anything smaller and you want tiller. however if it comes down to cost id happily take a 435 tiller steer ;) the old mans 4.0 ht is tiller steer and thats small enough with 3 blokes in it so console would be impossible

13. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Centre console

It's a real quandry as to which style suits you.We bought the basic Stessco Catcher with tiller steer mainly because of it's nice wide hull.The plan was to make do for a couple of years,get the feel of it and convert eventually to centre console,updating the motor and adding all the electronics and accessories from our old boat.Been working on an idea lately,building the top of this console out of ply.I had touched on fibreglassing it but decided not to go that way and just gel coat it in heaps of layers of flowcoat.
    I had seen on the net an idea of mounting a gunwale bracket for tiller driven, so a pivotal TV arm in heavy duty was my line of thought.The basic box sits on this arm and pivot.This bracket is to be modified with heavy duty locking pins and gunwale mount near the stern .The windscreen is going to be perspex with a stainless guard rail.
    Here's a pic so far!Will add to this after as this will probably be a test run,eventually building it out of acrylic sheet.The draw will take two tacleboxes and valuables.Down the track this will become the top of the centre console after building the base.
    Here's some pics
    Good to get some ideas from you guys!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  14. coat

coat New Member

Aug 31, 2008
    I recon tiller steer if your going a 435... The anount of room you lose in a console is huge.. If you ever want to role out a swag or two there is no chance.. In saying that ive always had a tiller and recon i always will.. Does the job for me.. If traveling long distance in the bay maybe a console would be handy for comfort but id rather comfort when fishing and have more room with my tiller..

15. beekez

beekez New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Hazmail that is a great set up, I bet you do get ppl having a laugh but you have way more room! As it is set up it is really only there for when you are under way then fishin area and comfort is maximised when your actually fishing which is hopefully the majority of the time.

Does anyone have any opinions on turning circles tiller vs console?comparisons?

I have a 4m Hornet that I bought off a bloke who built his own side console and the turning cicle on it is atrocious! I cant really use it easily in the murray above yarrawonga because of the current and width of the river I stick with the electric (or the old mans explorer trophy tiller). I bought the boat whilst living in QLD and fishin lakes and estuary which it is awesome for. I have had the boat for 12 months now and its been make do but I am starting to look at better ways at doing things like improving the steering.

16. djgtom

djgtom New Member

Jul 8, 2008
    I went through this exercise around 12 months ago.
    ended up going a 435 ht tiller 50hp, i looked at 500 ht's down to 400 ht's.Even looked at top enders and several other brands.
    The 435 has loads of floor space and storage under floor. whilst fishing i have nothing on deck apart from a net laying across the bait tank area and a wireless foot pedal wherever. my own opinion (only my opinion) is consoles take up too much space. If i was traveling alot on the water i would go console for sure, i would not travel more than 10 min in one go on most occasions.
    As for electronics, i run a humminbird 798 on a ram mount with no issues.

sooo, it's each to there own.......enjoy the shopping and looking at all those nice shiny boats, it's fun :)

dean

17. Brownie

Brownie New Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I recently bought a quiny 395 explorer trophy with side console very basic setup but i'm glad i forked out the little extra for it, still got plenty of fishing room in the boat anc the console gives me somewhere to mount the sounder and bits and pieces that i need to keep a little protected when it gets a bit rough or spray etc. Brownie

18. skinnee

skinnee New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    i like the hornet trophy set up, was thinking of getting a hornet and doing a DIY, but at the moment there is no savings to be made by upgrading a base hornet to a trophy.

have been in a 420 proline angler and that was cramped with 3 blokes on the troll, it had a sports console which took up half the deck.

19. CodMerv

CodMerv New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dean, I'm from Shepparton originally and have been looking for a 435 QHT tiller (40 or 50hp 4 Stroke) for a while now - sounds like you got yours new - where did you get it - Solar City Marine? any recommendations on where to buy new or second hand??? Regards Merv

20. TheBream

TheBream New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    i also have a 435 hornet trophy that i use from everything from the skinny top water to trolling offshore (mad but keen)
    i went for a 50hp yammy tiller as the yammy has all the bells and whistles on the tiller handle (key, gears, trim/tilt, and trolling switch) also went for it to maximise the room in the boat and for the weight
    i get some 60km/h out of the boat with all the bream gear livewell full and two blokes

as for the sounder i have also mounted it on a RAM mounting with the radios mounted under the gunnels

this is a top boat and a top set up

but i am also one of these ones that dout i would go for a console unless on a much bigger boat