1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

tiller or console

Discussion in 'Boats' started by skinnee, Jun 22, 2009.

1. djgtom

djgtom New Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Merv,

yeah it was new from leigh martin. solar city would not hear of fitting a merc which i wanted as i have had 4 mercs with no problems at all.
    If i was to buy another i would hang out for 2 nd hand. The reason is if you can find a good 2 nd hand one it would most likely be fitted out to the hilt and most are very well looked after.
    I speak from experience here as i have spent a fortune fitting it up to suit me. whoever buys mine will get a fully kitted boat for about 6 k less than retail, have found out since i picked up mine the packages have risen by about $3k. Paid $22 for mine with 50 hp, lights and full covers with upgraded trailer.
    Did look around and solar,bendigo and leigh martin were all pretty close in price.
    hope this helps

dean

2. bwh1

bwh1 New Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Skinnee, I had the same delima last year when I wanted to buy my first new boat. I did the same as you and asked around a fair bit and everyone had their own reasons for tiller or console. I ended buying a stacer 4.2 with side console and 40hp honda. It is the best fishing platform I have had.

The console does take up a bit of room but I often fish on my own or with only one extra so it's fine for my type of fishing. It is very comfortable, the console breaks some of the cold morning breeze/rain when motoring along. The drivers seat is back abit so there is plenty of leg room. I have a storage compartment with trays in the side of the console. I also store my platic containers with big lures under the console and all the electrics (Sounder, CD, UHF, GPS and gauges) are on the console, and a 3 rod, rocket launcher rod holder is on the front of it. So even though it takes up a bit more room there is more stored on/in & around it.

Cheers...Brett

3. skinnee

skinnee New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    good luck on finding the market for 2nd hand 435 HT unless want something 4 yrs old :)

There is no 2nd hand market in SA

4. hazmail

hazmail New Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Skinnee - I know what you mean about finding a second hand tiller Hornet, I had to drive all the way to Qld to get mine and it is a 2003 model - but it had what I wanted, good horse power, I would have preferred another motor but find these 4 st EFI are marvelous comared to a 2 stroke screamer, had basic fit out with tiller which I could remove and do other mods, was in good condition and a the right price - they seem to go for between $12K -14 and I found the 'Trading Post' a good reference for pricing and locations- also a lot members of other forums have them for sale, some at outlandish NEW prices too. I think the best thing I like about not having tiller is, if trolling you can tie a lure on and still be heading in the same direction when you finish - I used to hate those circles and tangled lines!!Good luck with it .pete

5. tednted

tednted New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    G'day Skinnee
    I've had tiller steer & have had a 475 hornet trophy with 75 etec for the last 4.5 yrs with console & I personally would never have another tiller . Yes you do lose deck space ,infact at least 1 adults worth But who wants to fish 4 up in a boat that size anyway !! Really it is all about preferance & what suits you. ONE REALY IMPORTANT PIECE OF ADVICE though !!!! if you fish with anymore than 2 people with that motor it will be underpowered !!! especially with 40 yammy 4 stroke .Deano has a 4 stroke 50 Merc on his & while his goes well,he'll probably admit that if he had his time again he probably would've gone optimax & another mate of mine has a 60 yammy 4 stroke on a 450hornet trophy & it is a slug .What ever you decide go max horse power . Speaking from experience I did own an underpowered boat once & definately never again !!!
    Of course this is just my opinion:goofy:
    cheers AL

6. skinnee

skinnee New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    i can get a 60hp cheaper than a 50hp at the moment as it is last years model. Im going to try and see if i can take a demo for a spin.

7. tednted

tednted New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Good move !!! Trust me you will be much happier than the 40 you originally mentioned
    cheers AL

8. CodMerv

CodMerv New Member

May 31, 2009
    I thought the max was 50hp for a 435 ht?

9. skinnee

skinnee New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    they sell both quintrex and stacer where i am from, Stacer 439 Bass Elite are rated to 60HP :wideyed:, i can get the stacer cheaper than the quintrex dealer is offering.

10. djgtom

djgtom New Member

Jul 8, 2008
    I found out afew weeks after i picked mine up that you can obtain a sticker from telwater to rate the hull to 60 hp. the max hp is weight related. as most 40-60 hp motors are the same motor, this is how you can bolt a 60 hp onto a 435 ht.
    If i ever destroy my 50 hp on a snag or whatever i will upgrade for sure :wideyed:
    cost of the sticker is $200.

Read over the weekend about a new ht 440 ? which is max hp at 60 hp......

dean

11. skinnee

skinnee New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    djgtom, am breaking in the motor at the moment, was wondering about how much transom sits in the water, does your transom sit low in the water with the 50hp on back?

cheers

12. cod adventurer

cod adventurer New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    50 over 60

Gday Dean I did just that last sept I hit a drifter hard outboard leg servived but the hydraulic motor blew off the outboard then the motor flipped up so fast it tore the hydraulic ram out or the sleve and the 50hp flipped completely upsidedown onto the rear deck and engine well area badly buckling the transum The prop now pacing forward and down at max throttle on the limiter very very dangerous
    The tiller handle sheared off the cowl destroyed and plenty of damage under the cowl as well
    I had suffered a crush injury to my left hand when the tiller was forced downward onto the deck
    what happened next is the outboard turned back over and into the drink at full noise and we sped off again without any controlles no sterring no throttle no lanyard and injured A vary hairy time was had till i worked out how to shut the thing down. Anyway the outboard was written off and i repowered with a 60 on my 435ht I very nearly went with a console to get away from the outboard as this could happen again but figgered i rather be beside the outbord cowl than the prop when and if the same happened again in short if i was sitting a foot forward i would have been killed
    I contacted a quintrex dealer filled out some papers sent them off a week later i had the 60hp compliace sticker no cost THe other reason not to go forward controll is that yamaha dosnt have the idle controll switch on forward controll models ( obviously not intended for fishermen like me)
    my 60efi spins a 15 prop insted of a 12p no smarter out of the hole than the 50efi but mooves along quicker and fuel economy is better by 25% This is understandable as the engine is the same 4cyl 4stroke 1000cc only the computer is different and the 60 costs 300 more than the 50

13. cod adventurer

cod adventurer New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    50 over 60

Gday Dean I did just that last sept I hit a drifter hard outboard leg servived but the hydraulic motor blew off the outboard then the motor flipped up so fast it tore the hydraulic ram out or the sleve and the 50hp flipped completely upsidedown onto the rear deck and engine well area badly buckling the transum The prop now pacing forward and down at max throttle on the limiter very very dangerous
    The tiller handle sheared off the cowl destroyed and plenty of damage under the cowl as well
    I had suffered a crush injury to my left hand when the tiller was forced downward onto the deck
    what happened next is the outboard turned back over and into the drink at full noise and we sped off again without any controlles no sterring no throttle no lanyard and injured A vary hairy time was had till i worked out how to shut the thing down. Anyway the outboard was written off and i repowered with a 60 on my 435ht I very nearly went with a console to get away from the outboard as this could happen again but figgered i rather be beside the outbord cowl than the prop when and if the same happened again in short if i was sitting a foot forward i would have been killed
    I contacted a quintrex dealer filled out some papers sent them off a week later i had the 60hp compliace sticker no cost THe other reason not to go forward controll is that yamaha dosnt have the idle controll switch on forward controll models ( obviously not intended for fishermen like me)
    my 60efi spins a 15 prop insted of a 12p no smarter out of the hole than the 50efi but mooves along quicker and fuel economy is better by 25% This is understandable as the engine is the same 4cyl 4stroke 1000cc only the computer is different and the 60 costs 300 more than the 50