1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Tilt trim problems

Discussion in 'Boats' started by Garfield28, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    HI all, yet another problem :confused:

Looking for answers with a tilt and trim issue.

The other day I was out with my son fishing and I noticed that my tilt up was working but I was a little intermediately, I'd press the up button on my outboard throttle and it wouldn't go up straight away, I'd have to press/tap it a few times. By the time I got back to the ramp it wasn't working at all via the forward control and even on the outboard switch on the side. The whole time though the tilt down was working perfectly normal. When I got home and washed the boat I decided to check if it was the relay that was the issue so I swapped over the relay that was working with the one that wasn't and it didn't still work, but the weird thing is as soon as I put the relay that was working back on it was now not working! Thinking maybe it was on its way out too I bought a brand new one today and put it on and it still isn't working.

Could someone please tell me if there is a fuse for this part somewhere? I do notice however that when I press on the button even before, it is making a clicking noise which I assume is the circuit opening but it is just dead with no movement almost like when a car has a flat battery, it makes that clicking noise but there's nothing. When I turn the button to start the outboard there is no dramas at all, I'm really perplexed with this one.

Any help would be much appreciated as I really want to get it sorted so I can hit the water again this weekend.

Thanks

Geoff

kev209 likes this.
  2. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    What motor is it?

Garfield28 and kev209 like this.
  3. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Hi Jedgpz, it's a 125 Mercury Saltwater mate. About a 1990/91 model

Cheers
    Geoff

kev209 likes this.
  4. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Geoff try googling your systems, its amazing what google can come up with.
    Pete

Garfield28 and kev209 like this.
  5. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    I'll give it a go mate. Cheers

kev209 likes this.
  6. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Thanks for the replies everyone but sorted it out.

Turns out it was a bad relay, and when I swapped over the one that was working and when I put it back on and it wasn't was due to me disconnecting wires from both switches as I pulled the relays out. I pulled the below guard part off so I could suss out for loose wire and discovered that I had accidentally disconnected the both of them

Thanks for the replies

blair, kev209 and Tackleberry like this.
  7. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Great that it was an easy fix.
    Cheers
    Jed

Garfield28, Tackleberry and kev209 like this.