1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Tinny Questions

Discussion in 'Boats' started by User1, Aug 29, 2005.

1. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Looking to buy a tinny in the near future, and being my first boat looking for some advice.

Looking to buy second hand at this stage.

Requirements:

Murray River as well as flat calm bay
    2-3 people comfortably fishing
    trailer
    depth/fish finder
    gps / uhf

So I guess I am after your recommendations for size, motor, communications gear etc, and rough pricing both new and second hand so I don't look like a total n00b at all this when I start looking to purchase.

Please feel free to let me know anything else I may need to consider also.

Thanks for any advice you guys can offer :)

2. tex

tex New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Marc,
    If you can get aride with someone who has a boat of similar size that would be good for you if your not familiar with driving a boat, particularly if you get something with a tiller steer.
    I'm not sure if the NSW regs apply to you down there but up here I'm pretty sure that any boat capable of travelling at more than ten knots has to be registered and you need to be licenced to drive it. Perhaps these are some factors worth considering. I know that my first boat had just a 6hp on it and I didn't need to be licensed. Seeing though that you wanna venture out into the bays, you may need some decent horsepower to get you home if the wind blows up(I've experienced this a few times in Botany Bay when the Southerly blows) 4.00metre hull with a 25-30hp will probably vary in price from $3-5000.
    I spotted this one on Ebay which is probably about the size you need.
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/3-8-mtr-aluminium-b...1QQcmdZViewItem

3. craig308

craig308 Member

Aug 24, 2005
  4. Funda

Funda Guest

Marc,

Now is a good time to buy too, a lot of people will be looking to upgrade for the coming season, just make sure you look around a bit and get a test drive where ever possible.

By the sounds of it you want something like I have, 12 to 13 feet 20 to 30hp, depends how much you want to spend and whats a good starting point for you.

Try to buy out of the paper (classifieds) and keep your eye on http://allclassifieds.com.au/c/ac?a=bc&i=8 if there's anything there you'd like to check out thats down my way I can have a look and send you some pictures if you like.

Good luck with finding the right tub mate.

Cheers, Allan

5. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Awesome guys... knew you'd help.

I'd be looking to buy anywhere in VIC, or within 100kms of Cobram / Shepparton area as well.

Got plenty of questions for you guys on this, will comfirm the server move has gone OK and then come back :)

6. craig308

craig308 Member

Aug 24, 2005
  7. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    The bay isn't a necessity really, I think rivers and lakes is where its at for me.

Tiller steer ? Someone please explain :) Boating is ALL new to me.

I found this:

[​IMG]

12 ft, Brooker 370. This is an excellent factory painted hull that sits on a lightweight Noble trailer and is an ideal two person fishing rig. We have many motors to suit all budgets from 2hp. Up to 15hp. All motors are sold fully serviced and are provided with full 100% parts and labour warranties. Motaboats has portable motors with built in fuel tanks and other higher powered motors if you are after more speed or carrying ability. The price shown is for the hull, trailer and an excellent Mariner 6hp. motor, fuel tank and fresh water safety gear. The fuel tank is a new Fuel Mate that fits to the transom under the motor leaving the floor uncluttered for fishing, and it?s suitable for any motor., $1690.00 Motaboats 611 Nepean Hwy Carrum 3197 0397733344 0397733344

Sound any good?

8. TheBream

TheBream New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    IMHO i think it is a bit much for that boat
    if it was me i would try looking around for a older quintrex vee nose punt of another brande like brooker with the same
    vee nose punts are alot more stable on the water and easyer to use than the full vee boats
    (less chance of falling out)
    also look for a good trailer if possable as one like above with the smaller wheels put alot of load on the bearings as when the car wheels are doing x amount of revolutions at 100km the smaller ones will be doing near twice that so would be like driveing double that speed to them

9. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    That all makes a lot of sense. There's a few marine places around here, I might drop down and check em out, but would like to know a little more before I do so they don't see me coming.. :lol:

10. craig308

craig308 Member

Aug 24, 2005
    http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/DesktopDef...ias=boatpointau
    i would be looking for something like this marc depends how much you want to spend
    cheers craig

this one mite be worth checking out ALUM QUINTREX 4.2 Hornet 25hp, low floor, casting deck, swivel seat, travel cover, X-67C Sounder, electric motor mount, nav lights with charge kit $6000ono (03)95042617 (0402)271187 Chadstone

STATE: VIC FIRST PUBLISHED: 25 Aug 2005
    SOURCE: Private Classifieds (Melbourne Trading Post)

11. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    I think in reality for how little use it will get, $3000 would be about the budget for this.

12. TheBream

TheBream New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    got my loacal rag tonight marc (no friggin jobs for me :<)
    was something like i'm talking about a little bit out of your budget but something the same just older would be anyway it went as follows

Quintrex Exploere 385 (same size as my tinny) 20hp merc floors with casting deck seat reg'd boat trailer ex condition $4300

however i know there are even better deals out there and in your budget once you start looking ;)

13. aussiebasser

aussiebasser New Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Mate that is a Brooker V12. We sold them new in the '70's with a 9.8hp merc for around $800. It'd wanna be well looked after for that price. I'd look around for a Quinnie 385 Explorer with a 15hp Merc or Yammy on it. You should pick one up for 3 ish.
    Try Leigh Martin Marine in Wodonga, they have a fair range of good used boats and most would be fresh water use only.

14. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Yeah sounds pretty good. Once I go out and start looking at them I may decide I need to increase the budget... who knows.

Thanks for the advice guys.... Is there anything I need to know to look for specifically? like what goes wrong with them, what brands to stay away from, what age is simply too old etc?

15. TheBream

TheBream New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    with all tinnys your got to look out for new wealding where a crack maybe in a hull or where some supports have given away
    as for the motor you best to have them do a cold start as this is the best leveliser and you will be able to see if it a hard to start motor or not
    than after all that try and get a test run to see how the whole package works together
    and on the trailer all you really can look for is too much rust

16. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Thanks mate, sounds like a good start for me anyway :)

17. mick

mick New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    I have a mate who has a tinny like the one you are looking at. Look for a flat bottom over a v like the one you posted. It is a pain in the arse to step/sit/eat/fart right in the middle of the boat! Literally you stand up and cast you always have to be dead centre. They offer good, soft ride but on the murry the water can't chop up anyway.
    Anything over 8hp will be good preferably 15-20hp.
    Mick :)

18. bluey1970

bluey1970 New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    I don't know if you get the Trading Post down there but I found that was the best place to look as EBAY is a bit over priced. Whatever you buy, check it thoroughly and test it as if they don't let ya test it there may be something wrong with it. Even go over the trailer with a fine tooth comb and make sure it has submersible lights. Make sure when ya start the motor that the water comes out like a fine jet and ask tonnes of questions about everything as each motor does different things so ask what each nob and screw does. Up in QLD anything over a 4hp you have to have a boat licence or someone who has one with you. Ask alot about registering the boat as when ya get to Main Roads to Rego it, they don't want to know the horspower, they wanna know the KP's, so u need to find that out as well. Just remember to ask tonnes of questions before you hand over cash and good luck.

19. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004