1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Travel Rods?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by diesel, Nov 15, 2019.

1. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I flew into Adelaide early in the week and it struck me that it was the first time I had ever been in South Oz without a fishing rod or any fishing gear at all. For a few years now I had been thinking about buying a travel spinning rod, probably in the 2-4kg or 3-5kg range, but that's as far as it ever got - thinking about it.

Anybody use them and what do you think of them?

kev209 likes this.
  2. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Hi Jeff, I have 2 telescopic cheapies, 1 I have had for well over 30 years caught some big carp on it never had any problems.
    The 4 piece travel rod I had not a cheapie, split where you insert the other section after 4 outings
    BCF had Daiwa telescopic rods on special not long ago.

diesel and Madfisher like this.
  3. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Most of my newer fly rods are all 4pce, no problems at all. they fit in a suit case no problems.
    cheers Pete

kev209 and diesel like this.
  4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Thanks for the feedback Kev & Pete.

I'm not looking for anything too flash and maybe the telescopic type would be the go. I'll check out BCF.

kev209 and Madfisher like this.
  5. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    O just got a travel combo from anaconda for about $70
    Shakespeare wild series 3 piece - the reviews were average but it was cheap and felt good in my hands.
    It has not missed a beat so far

diesel and kev209 like this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Thanks Jed, Anaconda seem to have a good range of travel rods, some of their prices are a bit higher than other places, but still cheaper than BCF on brands like Shimano & Shakespeare and I see that they carry Ugly Stik also, which I do like due to their toughness & durability.

kev209 likes this.