1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

UPDATING

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Old fisho, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Will put this in here rather than derail the current excellent post.
    The time is almost nigh.
    A couple of the nursing staff have asked if I was concerned about tomorrow. My only answer is; if I have one of the world's best cardiac surgeons and am in what he calls the world's best hospital, I shouldn't have much concern about it. Of course there is a bit of nervousness but not real concern. It's not quite like getting a tooth out.
    He called last evening and said, most seriously, that he shall ask once more tomorrow if I still wish to proceed. Should I decide to opt out, he will respect that. All I could say was; 'we've come this far now, there's little point in not following through'. He has spoken of the difficulties he faces during the operation and says it is quite a stressful time.
    My faith and confidence in him stays firm.
    Surprisingly, there will be little surface damage. Almost totally he will be working through arteries and a bit of key hole stuff. I'm disappointed. I shall have little to show in the way of scars and bruises. Bugger!! But with respect, I can hardly imagine how he can do something like this for several hours using such restrictive methods.
    Has an estimate of costs the other day from the anaesthetist. WOW!!!
    Quoting on three hours and the surgeon says it will be at least four and might reach six hours, his estimated bill is almost $2960.
    That works out at $16 PER MINUTE. Over three hours the bill goes up by $1000 per hour and will have no rebates applicable. After ringing our health insurer, I was told it is one of the biggest 'gap' bills she had seen. We are left to pay $2000 bill, plus any extra time. Rajeev the surgeon says he will sort it and guarantees there will be no add-on bill. He charges scheduled fees and we do not get a bill for anything else. This ward is just on $3000 per day. I have ECGs every four hours, day and night since they stopped medications and use twelve leads rather than the usual half a dozen. I have yet to see a decent bottle of wine served (or any other sort for that matter).
    Tucker's not bad at all and often have slick chicks holding my hand. Could do worse I suppose. Could be one of you guys.
    Noel
    Life's not bad really.

2. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    You be right mate my last 2 heart opps were 9 and 6 grand only thing I would be worried about is why so cheap .
    I think the stay in the cardiac ward was included when I asked what it cost .

blair, Old fisho, Dickson and 2 others like this.
  3. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    All the best for tomorrow Noel. Sounds like you have a great team looking after you.

blair, Old fisho, Tackleberry and 3 others like this.
  4. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Active Member

Sep 9, 2019
    Imagine the fishing gear you could afford when earning $1000/hour. :confused:

Between the nurses and your surgeon, it sounds like you're in very good hands mate. Take care and looking forward to the post telling us you're back to firing on all cylinders.

blair, Old fisho, Tackleberry and 2 others like this.
  5. Dickson

Dickson Active Member

Jul 13, 2019
    Take care Noel it sounds like your in the best of hands mate

6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I'm sort of back, firing on some cylinders with power to add perhaps (hope).
    One could almost write a book about yesterday but yesterday's gone, not without some unusual events.
    The operation was successful according to the surgeon this morning. It took over six hours but there will be no more time on the operating table (for that purpose anyway). For much of it I was awake about which I was unaware prior. Lying on a hard surface like that for so long
    is not easy
    on the small of your back. Your spine is distorted from its normal inward curved shape. When you include the prep and recovery times, you exceed eight hours. I don't know how long I was 'out' but certainly leaned more about that at the end of the job. My back was on fire and almost at screaming point, I could barely speak due to the pain severity.
    I was told before it started that all the extra heart beats revert to almost normal while asleep. If they are not happening, Rajeev says he can't treat them so he needed to keep me awake to keep them going. I had tubes in both arms, both hands and my neck which was a new one. He cut into groinal arteries on both sides and went to it. I started to get back pains during the job and was told I was not permitted to move. Later on I said "I have really sharp and severe pain in my chest". Somebody (I suppose Rajeev) said they were burning the offending bits inside your heart. It's very technical so shut up and don't move a muscle. I did and I didn't. It still hurt lots.
    After a couple of hours in the intensive care ward with two doctors and three nurses, and swallowing pain killers, I was given an injection guaranteed to stop the extreme pain. I woke up later. High on drugs and stuff I noted the time was after 9.0clock and a slick chick told me I'd had a great sleep. Of course it was next morning and I was still with the birds a bit. I was delighted that they had not woken me at some ungodly hour for the normal ECGs and stuff. Decided to have a read and said chick asked if was going back to sleep. I said "I didn't sleep at that time of day". I could cope with no breakfast, but no lunch or dinner was a bit extreme. During the day I asked twice for a coffee and a round of sandwiches which soon arrived. I was in a single bed ward and I had a full time nurse with a portable desk right outside my open door and if she wasn't with me, she was at her desk pushing paper. This is truly one on one nursing and really wonderful stuff. About 1.30 I decided to ring my boss to tell her how things went and that I'd been moved. Battery was flat and nurse put on the charger for me. Boss didn't answer so left a message asking to ring me back. She was staying with our son and I had no reply after an hour so I rang him. He sounded dopy and I thought he might have played up the night before at his daughter's 21st pub party. Asked him to pass message to boss that I' been moved from CCU to the ICU so they would get to the right place when they came to visit. I'd received no breakfast, lunch or dinner, just two coffees and rounds of sandwiches I'd asked for. The family never arrived which seemed out of the normal so I went to sleep. When I woke next morning, I was delighted that it was almost 9.0'clock and they hadn't woken me at 5-6am for ECGs and stuff. It was another hour before I discovered that it was all in my drug riddled mind. What I thought was Saturday was actually still Friday night. I was doped to the eyeballs and didn't know what day it was; even whether it was night or day. The real Saturday had finally arrived. I provided some laughs for the staff though and my phone calls were made in the middle of the night.
    Rajeev said he succeeded in his operation but there will be no further surgery.
    Thanks to all you guys for the support in recent weeks.
    Love you all.
    Noel
    May be released tomorrow with 'some' good behaviour credits left.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  7. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    So glad to see your reply Noel, best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    Cheers Pete

8. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks a million Pete.
    Hoping a bit more normality might be ahead.
    Time alone will tell.
    Noel

9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    That's great news Noel, I'll raise a glass of something later in the day to your successful operation and hopefully a speedy recovery.

Jeff

10. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Make that two glasses Jeff. Seems to be an acute shortage in here.
    Noel

ratherbefishin, Madfisher and kev209 like this.
  11. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Will do Noel. I managed to get hold of a couple of bottles of Schild Estate 2014 Merlot last week whilst I was in the Barossa - a very nice drop. I had never tried it before and the only reason I bought some was that I liked the old car on the label.

schild-estate-barossa-merlot-2014_1.jpg

Jeff

12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    As good a reason as any for buying a bottle or two.
    Can almost smell it from here.
    How did the trip turn out? Successful?
    Noel

13. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    The place I went to look at was in a good location, Noel, a nice size block of dirt, but the buildings were in need of a lot of work - not something I want at this stage in life. There is a growing problem in real estate advertising where a lot of enhancements are being applied to images of properties by way of Photoshop etc in an attempt to deceive potential buyers. I voiced my displeasure to the agent over their failure to disclose obvious faults that require a lot of money to rectify. She said that they all do it and I guess in her mind that makes the practice acceptable. :mad:

It was my first visit back to the Barossa for a few years and as much as I have always liked the area, I'm thinking that maybe we will look further south around the McLarenvale/Willunga region, somewhere a bit closer to the water.

Jeff

14. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Lyn and I are glad all went well with your opp, and wish you a speedy recovery

blair, diesel, ratherbefishin and 2 others like this.
  15. ratherbefishin

Sep 9, 2019
    It's outstanding to read your post Noel and to hear that the operation was a success, albeit with some trials to get there. Myself, my wife and the lad wish you a speedy recovery and look forward to a chance to catch up when you're back on all cylinders.
    I would raise a dram to your ongoing good health, however there's a distinct shortage of whiskey at this Gloucester van park; tomorrow eve it shall have to be. A fine, bold, yet youthful Australian dram would seem appropriate... :)
    If I thought he could get it past the nurses, I'd be tempted to deliver a taster to your son......;)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    blair, kev209, diesel and 2 others like this.
  16. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Sounds like what I have had done but they called them a cardiac ablasion and you are right it hurts a bit as they use microwaves to burn the artery wall as scar tissue is not conductive and it stops all the stray electcal impulses that cause the bodgy beats .
    Any way Noel it is great to hear from you and hope you have a speedy recovery so you can get out and wet a line ......

blair, ratherbefishin, kev209 and 3 others like this.
  17. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks Tack,
    I had the normal ablation last year and it was a piece of cake. This was far and away different to that. Looking back (silly to do) knowing what I do now, I doubt I'd take it on again. It was one long agonising day, but it's done now.
    Noel
    Trying to look forward, not back
    Will have to wait until I get home, then I'll have a real single malt for sure.

18. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Many years ago, RBF, I got caught by a very smartarse barman on an extremely cold night when I asked for a 'wee dram' of the best Scotch behind the bar. He reached for a bottle of Glenfiddich and measured out what was probably nothing more than an eye dropper full and put it before me. I looked at it and muttered words to the effect of WTF and he said "you did ask for a wee dram and that's what you got, so if you wanted a nip then why didn't you ask for one?"

Unbeknowns to me at the time, a dram was 1/8th of an ounce and 1/16th of a nip. Ever since that night I have never asked for a dram and if offered one I generally say "don't be miserable, give me a nip".

Jeff

19. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Don't worry I kepped them on there toes I went in to VT twice and they lost me once it's a very scary thing to wake up with someone standing over you with a defib in their hands .
    But I was out of it at the time so it took a while to figure out what happened so I am in no hurry to go back for more treatment ......

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    blair, ratherbefishin and kev209 like this.
  20. ratherbefishin

Sep 9, 2019
    Well I'll be; I've been told by many a person that a 'dram' had no official measurement. So I did some digging and sure enough, that barman was spot on; it's technically an 1/8th of an ounce. Thank you for enlightening me. :) At the next friends whisky gathering I shall ask for 20 drams (which should be about 60ml) and see whether anyone picks up on it.

Noel, in evidence of the fact that I'm not just talk, here is to your ongoing good health.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019