1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Us & Them

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by diesel, Nov 10, 2019.

1. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    An interesting article on ABC news:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11...reational-fishing-on-gippsland-lakes/11687360

The claim that rec fishers are taking 200 tonnes per year is very misleading considering that there is no monitoring of the catch compared to commercial fishing. There are also no figures for the wasted by-catch with commercial fishing.

I firmly believe that rec and commercial fishing can coexist provided we all play by the rules and recognise the indicators that tell us all when it is time to back off and let fish stocks recover.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    kev209, blair and Old fisho like this.
  2. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Jeff, the read leaves me wondering about a bit of potential ambiguity. It clearly states that rec fishers take 200 tonnes a year. There's no indication as to how the data for that number was arrived at. It's a very 'round' figure indeed and sounds a hell of a lot to me but I have no knowledge on which to base my thoughts.. If it were actually correct it would be a huge coincidence I'm sure.
    Two hundred tonnes is 200,000kg. If the bream averaged 500gr each, it would mean 400,000 bream were taken by rec fishers alone. I'm no actuary but that's big numbers for fish caught on rod and line.
    It suggest that the commercial guys take 15 tonnes )annually. It perhaps avoids the question of whether that is collectively or individually. It creates an image that they get that as an overall figure which sounds a bit light on. Maybe political talk. That's one and a half tonnes each licence; per year.
    Using the same calc's; that's another 30,000 bream. Total is now 430,000 fish. Take into consideration that bream are slow growing fish. A decent bream, as in say 28cm, takes nine years to grow. The biggest part of half a million bream (per year) being removed is a hell of a lot of fish. Fork length of 22cm is reached after about five years.
    Most rec fishers agree that fish numbers are generally in decline. Take SA as an example. Snapper fishing earns big dollars there in tourism etc., but due to declining numbers they have banned snapper fishing for three years. A brave call as I see it. Lake Eucumbene, apart from occasional patches, has been declining for years. Over time, the bag limit has dropped from 20 to five as bag and possession limits.
    I don't believe there's a way of getting honest answers about commercial by catch. it's something they consider better not known as I see it.
    Noel
    Neither mathematician nor statistically minded

kev209, diesel and blair like this.