1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Warning for camping dog owners!!!!

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Goodoo Dreaming, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodoo Dreaming

Goodoo Dreaming New Member

Apr 12, 2006
    **Authors note- Technically not fishing but a large majority camp out with their dogs when on fishing trips**

I don't want to get dog owners who love taking their dog camping paranoid but I feel they should know or realise the dangers of fox baits when camping at their fave waterhole.

At Easter I had the unfortunate experience of watching my mates dog die an agonising death while camped on the Edwards river near Kyalite, NSW. It turns out after talking to the locals that the area had been recently baited for foxes. Unfortunately there were no signs on the road way or on the public reserve we were camped to warn dog owners of the dangers which is legally supposed to happen.

Fox baiting is essential to keeping the fox numbers down and I dont have a problem with it but if the baiting is not done in accordance to local legislation and not correctly informing the land users in the local area then I feel we have a problem.

And to bait an area just before Easter where many famalies camp with their pets is just down right irrisponsible. I'm not a dog lover myself but to witness this poor innocent animal suffer like it did and to watch its family witness it was not a very pleasant memory that I ever want to see again.

I'm doing a little research into fox baiting at the moment and trying to find out what group or individual was responsible for baiting this area to find out just what precautions and information passing had been done if any.

If anyone here can add weight to this issue I would appreciate it very much indeed.

2. Craig_B_

Craig_B_ Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Great idea to warn everyone Steady.

Thats a dead set disgrace, as you said why do it just before Easter and on top of all that no posted warnings. If I was your mate I would be chasing someone down over this and suing them I would also be contacting the local newspaper and media.
    I hope your mate had no young children who had to witness this.

-Craig

3. rene_bell

rene_bell Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Hi Steady,usually up this way the council ,rangers are responcible for baiting feral cats ,foxes and wild dogs that Might be a good place to start ,if they were not responcible they should have been informed ,hopefully anyway

cheers Jason

4. shade

shade New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    oh no, that is terrible :(

I always take my dog, he's my family, most of the time tho, he ends up sitting in the 4wd, he's 15yo, so wears down quick ..

I'm definitely going to keep a good eye on him now :\ I don't think I could handle something like that happening very well at all, I would be after blood.

5. gone_fishing

gone_fishing New Member

Nov 4, 2006
    after talking to my cockee mate he recons any property can get 1020 fox bait but there is red tape and regulations
    there should be signs in the area for sure but he reckons it kills like rat sack by thinging the blood so the animal just tires and dies but he reakons that its not a long agonising death
    so its more likely that your mates dog has been poisoned by a bait that is not approved so very cruel indeed by some heartless bugger
    this is very sad i dont think i could handle my dog suffering in such a way as you described let alone watching any animal suffer needlessly and im no greenie a fox is a pest and should be exterminated from our country as with rabbits pigs cane toads etc

6. ausbushman

ausbushman New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    thats is bloody horrible,they are meant to have signage in the area when fox baiting,hope you track them down

7. Craig_B_

Craig_B_ Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Steady,

How did your mate go with this? Did he find out who was responsible?
    I hope he has receive a sincere apology from the local shire at least.

-Craig

8. ScottyP

ScottyP New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Oh dear what a nasty subject. Camping with my 2 Staffies I think I will have a quick scout around from now on. This sounds naive I know (hey I'm a city person) but what do they use as Fox bait? I have seen Rabbit poison (Pintone I think) in bits of cut up carrot. But do not know what to look out for in the Fox bait department.

Many thanks to all replies

Scotty

9. BackInBlack

BackInBlack New Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Good advice, cheers Goodoo Dreaming
    i support observation about the lack of signs
    dogs are expensive but more than theyre a part of the family its just no way to loose a dog

10. BackInBlack

BackInBlack New Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Steady, i heard your submitted story to outdoorlife show it was good to see it was broadcast. Pity about the comment that it might have been stray bait. I dont think its stray bait but lack of signage to the point of no signage. Neway good see it was broadcast.

11. Goodoo Dreaming

Apr 12, 2006
    Sadly we'll never know but at least the words of warning for dog owners is getting spread. I'm not sure if it's going to help as it's a bit like an unfortunate lottery I guess.

12. BackInBlack

BackInBlack New Member

Aug 2, 2006
    yeh it is (a lottery). to be fair i reckon he should be able to gps the spot his bitch took the bait and request compensation. fairs fair, hes done the right thing and maybe someone made a mistake with the baits. i was saddened to hear you didnt put the dog down (thats what they said), is it true?

13. Fullboar

Fullboar New Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Gday Scotty, the bait is called 10-80 and looks like a block of meat kind of. If placed right you will never see it. They put in about 2 to 3" under ground so the foxes and dogs can still find it and dig it up and eat it. Cats also eat it. The three biggest killers we have are Foxes, dogs and cats, so it will be hard to stop a pet from finding them. Signs will be the only way you'll know it's around, no signs? well you've read what can happen, not good.

14. ScottyP

ScottyP New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Thank-you very much for the information there Scott, I am a bit in Shades boat with one of my dogs 13 years old. You are spot on though with your top three killers there too. (Except Foxes) Unfortunately too many of these are dumped or are hunters that just keep going and pack up. A couple of times while out camping(Pines area Eildon and Woods Point/Aberfeldy) I have had wild dog howling etc around camp after dark. A bit unnerving to say the least. Anyway I am straying from the topic, thanks again for the heads up everybody, much appreciated.

Scotty

15. Goodoo Dreaming

Apr 12, 2006
    After experiencing this first hand and also doing a little of my own investigating it would be a good idea when camping at places like this to drop into the local general store or the pub and ask the question if they know of any fox baiting recently. This is important as the locals knew of the baiting as it is required to notify the community via notice boards (ie the local shop and/or pub) and the local newspapers as well as put signs up and even letter drops. This is by law.

If you at least ask the question you have done as much as you can at least. 1080 Foxbait is only allowed to be left for 3-5 days or so then any left after this time are required to be removed and NOT left which is what may have happened in our case.

16. Pete

Pete New Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Sad for the dog , Who's to Blame , the owner of coarse , Public and TSRs are never baited , no doubt the dog has wandered into private property ,its the owners responsibility to have full control over a dog at all times and that means being on a lead full stop , besides its bloody irrisponsible to take dogs in these areas anyway , its very annoying for others to have to put up with uncontrolled mungrals or dogs in public areas crapping all over the place and generally making a pest of itself.

Here i blow them away , i will not tolerate uncontrolled dogs wondering about my place doing as they please , harassing live stock and possibley killing sheep .

Hey dont get me wrong , iam a dog owner too , but i also consider others when it comes to them , the Mutt stays at home for fishing trips and so should all the others .

Pete

17. BackInBlack

BackInBlack New Member

Aug 2, 2006
    trolled & baited?

18. Goodoo Dreaming

Apr 12, 2006
    Well it certainly seems you never had a puppy when you were a kid. lol

19. mallee

mallee New Member

Sep 1, 2005
    I am with pete!
    The dog is at home or on the lead, but then if you let our dog off the lead it will p-off and not come back. We are going fishing next week out near Lake Cargelligo and there are no dogs allowed!!!.
    I feel sorry for the dog and those that were there, but if you were camping near us and your dog comes into our camp it will get a short shift and then the owner will get told.
    Have a few mates that take the dogs and they find is hard to get on a place.
    Look after our pets at all times.
    See Ya Mallee

20. Pete

Pete New Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Thats a joke

And its those very puppys that grow up and kill stock and annoy others simply because of irrisponsible owners who think its there right to take their mutt anywhere and let it do as it pleases , yeh good one !!! ,

If anyone comes across uncontrolled dogs in any public reserve or TSR , ring the shire ranger or PPB ranger and the offending animal will be removed and impounded straight away .

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.