1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Well today got expensive

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Tackleberry, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    As per the header today got really expensive brand spanking new fishing rod and I didn't even get to send one bait down unbelievable.
    Screenshot_20200912-192206_Gallery.jpg
    And it looks like I found the perfect snapper Rod I had it all the time I made it 25 years ago all it needed was a saragosa to go with it ......
    Screenshot_20200912-192336_Gallery.jpg

diesel, Master Baiter and kev. like this.
  2. kev.

kev. Active Member

Aug 9, 2020
    O sh#t

diesel and Master Baiter like this.
  3. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Yep I am done with graphite rods for bottom bouncing in the ocean .
    ugly sticks and silstar crystal power tips for now on .

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  4. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    I am a BIG fan of the UglyStik and composite rods in general for bait fishing (ABU MuscleTip and Silstar) all make awesome rods for bottom bashing and also live baiting, so unless I was flicking big lures and vibes I wouldnt bother with a graphite rod. That rod looks great Tac what blank is it?

diesel, Madfisher and kev. like this.
  5. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Well I thought it was a good Rod too , PENN regiment Black Ops 761 6-10 kilo and got a good solid cast weight rating all that was on it was a 30g lure might have to see what their warranty is like that having bought it off the internet I .
    don't like my chances.

Screenshot_20200913-131554_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200913-131601_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200913-131605_Gallery.jpg

diesel and kev. like this.
  6. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    I meant the rod you built, not the Penn rod Tac, it looks like a good blank. Sorry to say I dont rate Penn rods much I have used a few powerstick's over the years but they arent that great compared to the old UglyStik.

... Still good to see you have found the perfect Red stick, even if you needed to buy a new reel to go with it... Good luck on the future Red's champ

Anthony

Tackleberry, diesel and kev. like this.
  7. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Time to stretch the memory I think it was a silstar 701 SSL 5 to 8 kg I got it 25 odd years ago out of a shop.
    remember when you could walk into nearly any fishing tackle shop and buy blanks grips real seats runners of any flavour to build a rod you just can't do that anymore sad times
    I used to quite enjoy building fishing rods must admit though back in those days was hard to get a great rod Never Enough runners back in those days on a factory Rod and mostly in the wrong place on the blank .
    BCF has the same rod even today on the shelf I looked at one couple of weeks ago. same old problem not enough guides 6 from memory and for an egg beater the blank needs 7 for an overhead it needs 8 pity the build quality was a very good still thinking about buying one so I have a pair but then that means I need to buy another saragosa and I was very lucky to get that one they're all gone .

kev., Madfisher and diesel like this.
  8. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    I rang them up today they asked me to send them pictures of the break in the rod they will forward it on to Penn now wait and see whether I get another one ? we'll have to wait and see .

9. Dickson

Dickson Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2019
    diesel, kev. and Tackleberry like this.
  10. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    You're not wrong they sell that rod for 160 I just wish I had 350 ID buy one of them tomorrow

11. Robert Stone

Robert Stone Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2017
    You have frighten me now. I have the same Penn Regiment rod with a Penn clash cla5000 reel on it. Haven't used it yet.According to Penn there is one year warranty on the rod to the orginal buyer. Good luck.

12. Robert Stone

Jan 2, 2017
    I bought a Shimno Jewel rod last year 7' 6-10kg. First time out snapped it in two. Went back to BCF, they rang Shimano, replaced it on the spot. I changed it for a Shimao Aerowave, $23.00 more but a better rod.

13. Robert Stone

Jan 2, 2017
    Tac,
    If you are after a Saragosa, there are still selling 5000's under $300.00 on the Central Coast NSW freight free.

Cheers.

14. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Robert I would love another saragosa 5000 I just don't have the money it took 3 1/2 months to save the money to get the one I just got .

diesel, Robert Stone and kev. like this.
  15. Robert Stone

Jan 2, 2017
    Afterpay is the go. The Fisherman's friend.

16. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Problem is that's what I use to get that rod I just can't afford any more money not for a few months yet .
    I live on my own so renting a house not a unit very tight budget running a boat a four-wheel drive and a car

kev. likes this.
  17. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Never mind Tac you have more Rods and probably reels thaI you can use and realise how good they are. So maybe no need to buy anymore anyway. Lol.
    Wally

kev. likes this.
  18. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Wally I'm a belt and braces bloke when I find something that works I stock up just like with all my shooting stuff Chainsaws and chainsaw gear if it works stock up because most of the time they bring out something new or update it and it's worse than what you had just look at the new saragosa there are a few reviews from well-known Americans they are not happy with it.

Master Baiter, Robert Stone and kev. like this.
  19. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Well my usual luck is running hard and strong pen approved the warranty but don't and won't have stock until Christmas or after ......

kev. and Dickson like this.
  20. Dickson

Dickson Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2019
    Well that's a bugger. So they didn't offer you a refund or a different rod?

kev. and Master Baiter like this.