1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

What size outboard to get?

Discussion in 'Boats' started by darcy351, Jan 24, 2010.

1. darcy351

darcy351 New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Hi guys, New user here,

I have a 4.4mtr Savage Tasman half cabin Fiberglass boat, Recently the old motor gave up the ghost on me. Split number 3 piston and destroyed the bore. It was a 85HP Chrysler charger.

Now to me that seemed a bit of a over kill on that size boat, I am in the process of looking around for a replacement motor for it. I would like to go something smaller but dont want to go too small and be under powered.

What size motor would you guys recommened for me to be looking for? Will be buying a secondhand one a new one is out of my price range.

Any suggestions or comments will be most welcomed.

Cheers.

2. Doodah

Doodah New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    I am of the opinion that bigger is better when it comes to outboards. Put the maximum size allowable on your boat. That way it increases its value as a utility craft. Fishing, skiing, tubeing, or just cruising around. I have a 455 Hornet trophy, with a 50HP Honda, not often, but sometimes I have 4 adults and a couple of kids in the boat, and there's no way my boat will plane. I don't wanna go 100 miles an hour, just fast enough to get where I am going as quickly and safely as possible. I would have upgraded my motor, but I used it as an excuse to buy another bigger boat. :) as 2 up, the hornet is bloody fantastic.
    In 2 stroke, the Yamaha 90 is fantastic, or in 4 stroke, the Yamaha 80 is a great donk. Me personally though, whack the biggest Honda on her that she'll take.

3. darcy351

darcy351 New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Not exactly what i was looking for! I am looking at going for a smaller motor as the fuel consumption is going to be higher with a larger motor. And the weight factor is also an issue. I cant seem to find and info on the boat i have to even tell me the allowable motor size for my boat. I am pretty sure that the 85 on it is really pushing the limits. From what i can gather from my friend google, the average size motor for my boat is between 40hp and 55hp.

I just dont want to go to small and be under powered for the vessel. If i go to small then the fuel comsumption again will be higher then it needs to be due to working the motor too hard.

Cheers.

4. Doodah

Doodah New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    60hp Honda weighs in at about 110kg (same weight as my 50hp) Great donk, and great on fuel. Tested one at Noosa on a 459 Stacer Barra pro. Flies with 3 blokes and a bit of fishing gear on board. Very quiet.
    Very hard to pick between 60Honda and EFI 60 Yammy. Both fantastic fuel economy, very quiet. One thing I like about the Yammy is the connector on the side to flush the motor without needing a water bag or flushing ears. Just plug the garden hose on the side and away you go.

5. darcy351

darcy351 New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Yes i was thinking along the lines of a 60hp for the replacement. Also not sure what to get? 2 stroke or 4? What are the pros and cons of the 2?

Cheers.

6. Doodah

Doodah New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Short trips, no trolling, 2 stroke is (bang for buck) best way to go. Cheaper to buy, and cheaper to service.
    4 Strokes are better for - trolling, fuel economy, quiet, less vibration. There are also some water supply impoundments that will not allow 2 stroke engines to be used on them. New generation 2 strokes are good, but 4 strokes are better. :)