1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

WHAT THE FUTURE BRINGS?????

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Old fisho, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Well, what a year it’s been. April-May saw three surgical procedures in six weeks, including a replacement of the defibrillator implant (for reasons unknown to us) and an extended effort to install another lead from it. Another procedure was planned but deferred due to our book launch day.

Ten days after that event (two weeks ago from tomorrow) we fronted up to Canberra Hospital in a second attempt to get the additional lead into the heart. It was successful this time and for an unknown reason, they again replaced the defibrillator.

Perhaps there are some failings in our hospital system. Booked in at 7.00 am, I was put to sleep around 8.30am. It seems the operation finished around 11.30am but I knew nothing until 1.30pm. Twenty-three hours after admission, along with others, we were told they needed all the beds and the ward was emptied. Earlier similar procedures meant being hospitalised for three days.

Not feeling fit to travel home, we stayed in Queanbeyan an extra couple of nights.

In bed two days after the operation I felt strange things happening in my chest at times. There was no obvious pattern to it. Over the next few days I discovered that if I lay on my right side, after a few seconds, my heart began to beat like a drum. You could almost imagine being able to hear it. Roll onto my back and it stopped immediately. During a required post op check up with the GP last Friday, this matter was raised. Difficult to explain, he (Les) asked if it could be demonstrated. It could. He was nonplussed and had no idea what it was. He recommended an ECG at the earliest (Monday) and one was done normally and another while lying on my side to activate this thing??? It is strong enough that the entire body flinches in reaction to each and every shock, if that is what is happening.

While not authenticated, he feels it is a possible malfunction of the new implant and requested urgent information from the manufacturer. We may get that today and it may mean a sudden drive to Canberra. While it may be possible to adjust remotely, both Les and I believe the last operation may have to be done again, and most likely very quickly. When I suggested it may be necessary to go back in there, Les said ‘I can’t imagine any other way to handle it. If it can’t be adjusted externally, it will have to be replaced’. Nobody can at this stage calculate what if any damage is being done, and only the company technicians can estimate the life of the defibrillator. If the diagnosis is correct, it has probably activated several hundred times in the past week or so.

What comes next is anyone’s guess but there’s little amusement here.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Good morning Noel.

You've certainly had a tough time with all the ops and I cannot imagine what you are up against. I've been blessed to be able to cruise through life (so far) with a relatively clean bill of health, whereas my siblings have been plagued with various ailments, some bought about by genetic hand-me-downs and others by lifestyle choices.

I am an avid supporter of modern technology, especially in the world of medicine and at times I am very impressed with the advances being made that ultimately lead to improved quality of life for those who suffer, but there comes a point where the quality of the technology itself could be compromised by the speed that it advances. Sometimes I think that maybe technology just needs to slow down a notch or two and perfect what we already have rather than try to re-invent the wheel, so to speak.

In the case of your defibrillator, Noel, I would have thought that fail-safes were incorporated into the technology , considering the possible outcome to yourself should the device malfunction. I certainly hope that they get on top of it for you without any more glitches.

Jeff

kev209, creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  3. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks mate.

It's been a fairly rough year no doubt. Little anyone can do but hope it changes for the better soon. The next day or so should provide some direction.
    I've always had a strong affinity with the kid's cancer 'Camp Quality' slogan that laughter was the best medicine.
    This year I have changed my views a bit by learning (perhaps the harder way) that in many cases; the best medicine imaginable is the friends who provide support when it's most needed. I have also found some that I'm yet to meet. Meanwhile, we're trying to keep laughing. N

kev209, creekboy, Madfisher and 2 others like this.
  4. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Noel. Any further updates as yet? Lyall.

kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  5. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    hi Noel keep working at it mate , hope to see u at the 2019 trout festival. I finally participated, in the fly fishing section, only got a few small browns over 3 days weighed in 1 @37cms, bloody tiddler! tough time of year for fly fishing I think.
    cheers blair

diesel, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  6. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    At least you had a go mate. Cheers, Lyall.

diesel and kev209 like this.
  7. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, everybody. No post since last Sunday, so I guess this is the best forum to ask the question, THE FUTURE LOOKS GRIM! Cheers, Lyall.

kev209 likes this.
  8. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I have to agree Lyall. Too many of us have lots of other things to cope with. Sadly a large majority have medical issues. It may seem easy, looking in from outside: to think if we are physically unable to do other things, we would/should be able to write some stuff in here. It's different in here looking out I assure you.

In truth however; for some of us, it can often be just as difficult to do that as go and dig the garden, from which some are totally banned. I have not been on the water since March if I remember that far back. Hard to talk fishing stuff if you don't go fishing. I have done nothing else but visit doctors and hospitals most of the year and only just survived the launch day for my book last month. I was flattened for a week after and that was for my own personal pleasure.

I check in here periodically but there seems to be nothing happening. I suggest the forum is down to less than half a dozen people these days. I also concede, happily, that they are a pretty close knit mob with much respect for one another. I for one put much value on most of the folk on board here.
    Perhaps the time is nigh to just communicate via email or something.
    Draw your own conclusions and there's no point in raising the old flag that the owner does nothing. That bit is irrelevant as I see it. Noel

9. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Lyall;
    Went to Canberra last Thursday for a Friday app't. It's a long story and won't put it all in here. There were problems with adjusting the defibrillator and I am fortunate to have some top people on side. I never slept Friday, Saturday or Sunday nights and was dead on my feet. This was caused by reactions that continued for hours at a time. They were not life threatening and I lived with them until being told to get to the hospital immediately on Monday morning. Thankfully the technician bloke (a real wizz kid) pulled out all his stops while working with the cardiologist. He finally removed most of the problems and never before was sleep as valued as on Monday night. We were seriously looking at another cardiac operation being needed immediately.
    In short; things are now more comfortable and I don't have to go back for another four weeks for a review. With medication changes it is hoped to improve my ability to breathe over the next couple of months, which will be a God send. Thank you and Elaine for your interest and caring. N

diesel, Madfisher, creekboy and 2 others like this.
  10. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Sadly the few members TBX picked up have lost interest and moved on, that's life. The posts have dropped off definitely, yes the weather has been a bit crap but we can't always blame mother nature. I believe the reason the posts have dropped off is because most members haven't been fishing, the main reason for not fishing is due to health issues. Getting old is a bastard I keep reading how good getting old is, but I haven't found a bloody good thing about it as yet. TBX only has a few active members at the moment and there's not much we can do about that.
    Since TBX popped its head up again a while back we have all contributed to keeping it afloat, all we can do now is just wait until Tim closes it down or it closes itself down WHICH WILL BE A BLOODY SHAME.

11. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Noel...it is good to hear that things have at least stabilised (I guess that is how to describe it) with your previous medical operations and related problems. I was thinking about making my following comments (not related to your situation) on a different thread but as it involves 'quoting', it is easier to do it here!
    And prior to last Sunday I thought things were not going too bad! I started a thread regarding braid on this forum and another more active forum. Initially I received 4 responses on this thread in TBX. Two members saying they preferred mono and 2 members that actually could answer my question who had experience with the brand of braid in question. Reality is, there were no stupid responses. From memory, 2 'dormant' members may have responded by the end of the discussion which tells me that there are a few more people hanging around here. So what response did I get on the other popular forum? Nothing...not one response!

The owner here must be doing something!:cool: Whilst it took a couple days, it seems a couple posts I reported have been deleted. There was a thread last week which was obvious crap. A couple members commented...I didn't bother and reported it. It eventually got removed I think. There was also another comment on the 'anxiety' thread by a new member. There was mention of the word cannabis and a link of which I did not bother opening. I reported the post and I think it has been removed. So...admin is active in some regards. That is the only point I am trying to make in this paragraph.

If/when someone can post some fishing reports or ask questions, I believe there could be a positive repsonse. In the meantime, feel free to talk amongst oursleves!:)
    cheers
    Team Bender
    You lot would be fkn lost without a motivational speaker like me!:cool:

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Good to see some commonsense surfacing. Truer words never spoken. N

kev209, diesel and creekboy like this.
  13. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi ,guys and gals. I would love to post a fishing report but I cant see this happening in the next couple of months at least. At least the next 13 days will give me a solution to the first problem. Cheers, Lyall.

Old fisho, diesel and kev209 like this.
  14. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion. But I took offence to your post

Old fisho and creekboy like this.
  15. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    I think he did not mean to offend anyone , Kev. Cheers, Lyall.

16. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    So already we're talking again.

17. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    How true, Noel. Cheers, Lyall.

kev209, Old fisho and diesel like this.
  18. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    A 'grinning cool face wearing sunnies' after the comment should be an indication that it was a half - hearted comment!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Never take me seriously!:cool:

creekboy, kev209, Old fisho and 2 others like this.
  19. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    hi all keep on keeping on and posting, I have enjoyed the jokes and fishing talk, gets me motivated to get of my arse and go for a fish have been enjoying my fishing finally caught a small jewie on a lure and lost a very big one an hour before, was ripping off 20lb braid then SNAP line broke at spool(yet another way to lose a good fish!) ,I think it was an earlier overrun on my baitcaster that I hadn't noticed and had a layer of liner over it at end of cast, the lure that I have found best is a 5" savage gear 3d shrimp (don't store whith other plastics, will melt) which looks like a local sort of light greenish "greasy back" prawn , very lifelike, and was mauled by about 20 big flatties and had 30mm missing off its tail , just landed a big flattie and noticed part of tail gone and thought may as well keep using it and next cast BANG.
    I went to bcf and got another 3 , easy to hide from the trouble and strife heh heh. going out early tomorrow for another go.
    its too easy for a typed message to be taken the wrong way, u can text a comment or joke to someone and when its read doesn't always compute as intended.:eek: a campfire and a few drinks near a good fishing spot best place to communicate:confused:
    tight lines

creekboy, kev209, Old fisho and 2 others like this.
  20. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I've been close to buying a few of those, Blair, but figured I would wait until I heard that somebody had given them the thumbs up. Thanks.

Jeff

creekboy, kev209 and Old fisho like this.