1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

What will you do...

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Rod Bender, Mar 29, 2020.

1. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    The US is having self isolation problems as well

Screenshot (87).png

Madfisher, creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  2. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    My mrs will have no prob finding things for me to do, which I will be happy to do at my leisure; clean windows, clean fans, clean skylight etc etc she is a careworker still working part time.

3. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    You blokes amaze me. As a mechanic I'd probably, apart from boat motors and only limited knowledge there, make a really good ceiling painter and I hate painting. Plumbing and electrical, including a certain list of things I could handle legally with restricted licences (now expired) but have rewired a townhouse and redirected the plumbing including sewerage lines. My building skills were good and have always enjoyed concrete and tiling. My forte' was timber, not metal. When we worked on a dentist's chair for example, we had to cope with compressed air, water and electricity, as well as the upholstery bit.
    Calling in guys to do the water and sparks bits was not an option so had to get a restricted licence.
    Noel

creekboy, blair and kev209 like this.
  4. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I have a natural mechanical ability very interested in it not so good at some other things, everyone has there strong points.
    I grew up whith construction very happy to be on old mans construction sites from primary schools age upwards (during schools holidays etc) like working whith timber less effort that metal.
    Jeffs strong point is probably digging tunnels lol.
    Whish my strong point was catching jewfish :)

creekboy, Madfisher and kev209 like this.
  5. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    You might when we can get out the door again Blair
    N

6. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    So....rain has meant that I still have several days of work left. I didn't realise next weekend was easter either! On the days I had off this week, I achieved nothing at home which is a concern.

Good news today as I spoke to one of the senior people at my main job, AgVic. I could be back there mid May but certainly at the start of June. That is a relief.

My fishing licence expires on the 10th of June. I have my doubts if I will get out again before that.
    Cheers
    Team Bender

7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Having spent most of my working life on the spanners or directing others how to swing them, my passion for fishing and fossicking was my way to separate work from pleasure.
    Fishing has been curtailed for the moment and not sure how much longer the body can endure the punishment of underground mining for precious gemstones. All those years of hard yakka changing tracks on dozers, lifting heavy truck parts and working in cramped positions for hours certainly took a toll on the elbows, knees and lower back.
    It doesn't take much to amuse me and I can occupy myself for hours servicing my fishing reels whether they need it or not. I can also put in a bit of time practising precision casting by setting up a bucket in the paddock and flicking a hookless lure at it and try and perfect different swings.
    My veggie patch is another interest that occupies my time and one that I find very rewarding, but currently it is almost impossible to purchase seed and seedlings up here. The doomsday preppers have bought most of the nursery stock.

Jeff

8. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    A man needs a hobby don't know where I would be whithout my fishing, hunting and bikes except more savings. My daughter has a vegie patch but battles rodents eating it, i like the tasty veggies that come out of it.
    I carefully avoid that heavy lifting caper as well now I am lucky I didn't seriously hurt my back in December lifting stuff that would have been no prob 20 years ago I was out of action for 2 weeks so next time I will do it differently.
    Lucky we had 2 mobile cranes, 3 forklifts and 2 overhead cranes and lever hoists when I worked on earth moving equipment for ABI for 7 years was a good company to work for, it had its share of idiots though I remember nearly having a fistfight whith the leading hand because I wouldn't lift and slide a 200kg cutting edge into place on a 651E scraper by hand I usually welded lifting lugs them and lifted them in place whith a franna, the idiot was getting an apprentice to do it by hand and he permanently damaged his back.
    If you cant get the seeds you need let me know what you need and I will posts some up to you, probably not prepped out at the garden section at Bunnings down the road from me.

9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Thanks mate, I'll see how I go.

Jeff

creekboy, blair and kev209 like this.
  10. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Dangerous country???
    I'm not going to become political or suggest I understand a great deal about what's happening. The subject is much too big for my simple mind. The only thing I've become sure of is that what's happening now with these restrictions in place, had to happen.
    Like most people, we are running out of things we can do around the house already.
    I spent yesterday in the kitchen, preparing and packing food in the freezers for the day we might not be able to do it. That's not panicking. It's little more than finding something useful to do. Even finding many basic ingredients was a challenge when Boss went for a quick shop. A lot of shelves remain empty.
    Not only because of age but inclusive of this cardiac issue, I'm expected to leave the house for only a miniscule amount of time.
    I see too, amongst this, that the new pressures we face will affect many relationships, some for good, some for bad. Everyone lives in a confinement as we've never done before. Much of our freedom is gone and will likely stay gone for some time yet. This will test many people and families and some will surely fail that test. A fair bit of mental strength will become essential.
    We don't have agree with everything pollies do, nor should we complain now things have become a bit tough to handle. They've had to do what they had to do. Some say they were too slow in acting. B*** S****!!! Have a look at some countries that were and still are, not accepting this reality. Had our people moved earlier and things were less serious than they are, people, typically, would be complaining about them panicking unnecessarily. We are now a country of complainers.
    We can throw in numbers all day about relative populations in comparison but it's hard to argue against, at least currently, the fatality rate we have. Compared to many other countries it's really low. If there's a price to be paid, let it be paid by all.
    I'm prepared to pay my bit but one thing's certain, I don't like it any more than anyone else.
    Noel
    Doesn't even have a soap box.

11. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Luckily I haven't run out of things to do, dissembling a Yamaha DT175G motor to sell the parts on ebay used ebay once to sell before I will give it a go have attracted a scumbag claiming to want to buy the 125 I have for sale on ebay as well as other sites, "she" claims to be from Melbourne doesn't want to pay through ebay not interested in even looking at bike, using gmail on phone only and using poor English wants my bank details, very suss, I set up an account which cannot have whithdrawals unless I go to branch in person to transfer or whithdraw dont want to give "her" the details even for that probably a bloke in Nigeria, I have read that the scumbags get bank details and open a paypal account whith them.
    Do you guys use ebay to sell and any tips?
    I think aus will do a better job than most countries whith this pandemic.
    Couldn't find a soapbox all being used might have to make one.

12. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I'm not a huge fan of our PM, Noel, but I can't fault the action he has taken so far except that I would like to see him bring Albo into the 'war room' to help in some way. This crisis concerns us all and the more minds that can contribute to easing our way through it makes sense to me.

I've been using evilbay for many years and early in the piece I established a bank account that is only used for online transactions. It is linked to Paypal and if I wish to purchase something I transfer the exact amount into the account from my everyday bank account to cover the purchase and if selling, I transfer the funds out of the Paypal account into the online user account and then into my secure everyday bank account as soon as possible. It might sound cumbersome, but it clears funds quickly so that scumbags cannot access any of it.

Jeff

13. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Good thinking diesel I will do that, I have read many bad reports about paypal so that will get around the potential rorts.
    Another rort I read about was the scum overpay into your account then ask for the extra money they paid, it is a way of laundering illegal cash also the account can be frozen because it is illicit funds.
    Hopefully I will be selling a lot on ebay etc.

14. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    That's exactly the point I was making Jeff. It's not a time for party politics or gov't and opposition stuff and nonsense. We're all in it together or should be.
    Noel

creekboy, Madfisher, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  15. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I was hoping to finish my fruit fly trap work before Easter but fell short...by about 2 hours! Rain has been a pain but hopefully I can finish the work on Tuesday.

It then looks like I will have a month off! Hopefully I will achieve something at home in that month off! From my own perspective, I want something positive to come out of this situation. If I return to work mid - May carrying a bit less weight and having an organised house I will be happy! :)

Especially if the fishing gear is sorted and I am competent in some more knots! Any new techniques I can learn in the meantime will also help!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Looking forward to a break!

creekboy, kev209 and blair like this.
  16. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    What's involved in the fruit trap work Jim?

Jeff

17. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    I subscribed to Starlo's FishTopia the other day and have been watching plenty of River Monsters DVD's... Aside from that I am still working (the joys of working for Woollies in the Distribution Centre) which keeps me busy most days as I work between 4 and 6 shifts a week.

As in NSW we are still allowed to fish- I have been locally at the creek a couple of times, but sadly caught nothing aside from large Eels which dont fare that great on the plate and are a nuisance but still loads of fun on bream gear. Cannot wait for the beaches to re-open so I can go down the surf and chase some Autumn/Winter Salmon and Taylor. We have had plenty of rain and most parts of the creek are very dirty with plenty of run-off so I am guessing that is why there arent many fish around, I may have to go further afield to Gosford and try there in the coming weeks if I become desperate enough for a fish- but ATM I am quite content just sticking around the house and working even though I am slowly going stir-crazy from lack of fishing.

I have also been chasing a few old Alvey's to add to my collection, and I plan to stop using spin gear on the beaches in the future. So far I have a 651c5, a 650a and a 500a which I havent found a rod for, but am thinking of a blackfish rod and using it for the 'ting and bream.

18. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I work part time for this Queensland based company.
    https://rapidaim.io
    I do the field work in the local area. Batteries need to be changed over, the trap has a 'sticky base' that needs to be changed as well as 'lures' and general maintenance. As the flies are detected electronically, I am sent out at times to confirm the detections.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Wannabe entomologist!

19. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I was starting to wonder where you'd gone Jim.
    Miss your writings.
    Glad you're OK.
    Noel

20. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Not much to write about Noel! Part of the problem is not having easy access to a desk top computer. Tomorrow I am going to my main job (not fruit fly) for the first time in about 3 weeks. Then it is only to check emails.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Not a fan of typing on phones!

creekboy, diesel, blair and 2 others like this.