1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

What's everyone doing

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by kev209, May 29, 2018.

1. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I know it's cold, and no one would be fishing, I'll rephrase that, some may have been fishing. I've been playing with our new toy that we picked up last Thursday. I'm very impressed with it, at this stage I'm trying to find out what things do, and how to use them.

Rod Bender, creekboy, diesel and 2 others like this.
  2. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I'm working,:(, cheers davo

3. AJ Fishman

AJ Fishman Active Member

Oct 27, 2017
    I am preparing for Murray cray season which starts on 1st of June a 12am and fitting my boat with lights so in can stay out at night and hopefully catch a few.
    cheers AJ

4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    How long is the cray season, AJ and do you get many?

Jeff

5. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I'm just sitting at home doing little.

Madfisher, diesel, AJ Fishman and 2 others like this.
  6. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I have days like that, so I can say I know how you feel. Just look after yourself old mate, I know your in good hands the Boss will look after you.

Rod Bender, creekboy, diesel and 2 others like this.
  7. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    'spose I should have said; not able to do more than a little. N

8. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Good to see you are back Kev and keeping occupied.

Sadly for me its just work, work and more work ATM... and the last few days its gotten cold and pretty windy. Hope after it settles I can get out and chase some taylor- I have heard some real big ones have been caught locally in the last week or so. Biggest one went a shade under 80cm from a local beach so I know they are around.

Otherwise I am waiting on my new 10' 6-8kg beach rod to arrive at my local tackle shop- Im going to put my 4500b Baitrunner on it and then replace my 9' 2-6kg rod with my 3500b... Im getting pretty excited!!!
    I might even spool up my Alvey and get ready to chase some Pigs around the wash areas- I have a choice spot adjacent to my local beach spot and apparently its not just the pigs that turn up- my uncle caught a 100kg Cod there after a big blow up, and then next cast a 40kg jew turned up... Some blokes get all the fun... Maybe I am dreaming but I sure hope I can nail a slob like that one day :p

Until my next report, tight lines lads

Anthony
    :D

9. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    We've got quite a lot of good salmon off the beaches here and would love to get among them. But casting a beach rod after the surgery last week is a NO-NO for sure. Weather has been perfect for it too.

Glad you're enjoying the new car Kev.

10. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    You should be back on the rod before you know it, Noel. Cheers, Lyall.

diesel, AJ Fishman and kev209 like this.
  11. AJ Fishman

AJ Fishman Active Member

Oct 27, 2017
    cay season is open for 3 months in Victoria.
    last year we got about 15 crays in one day but only 1 without eggs and that was the right size.
    cray season.PNG
    Capture.PNG

Attached Files:

12. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Fishing related...cleaning up my fishing room including photographing my fishing collection for insurance purposes! This is time consuming!:cool: Also making a list of reels that I need to get spooled and checking what line I have. The majority of my money over the next couple weeks is going towards my car but then I will be heading into the local tackle store to get perhaps 3 baitcasters spooled up...the rest of my reels I will do myself.

I will likely fit a carp culling session or two in at a nearby creek. I may venture out and show Team AJ how to cray land based! This will involve a fire and lots of coffee!

Last but not least...keeping an eye on the inlet channels!
    inflow.PNG

If/when it gets to around 1500 megs a day and constant...it is showtime!:cool: Mind you, I haven't done too well here for years but one can only try. Trout is the target...big browns to be exact (and despite approaching closed season in Vic one can fish where the channel tips into the impoundment).

I should also say whilst it looks like it is now at 5000+ megs a day...yeah...nah! Big call but I am sure the figures are crap. The site does this at times...reads very high when first opened. Reality is the channel will not carry 15000 megs a day (as it shows at one time) and secondly, the river upstream of the channel now has a flow rate of just over 1000 megs so yeah...something is wrong.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Moving up to 'Defcon 1'!:)

13. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I'm sure you're not a 'Bender' of rules, but can you clear up one point.

In NSW the closed season rule is that you may catch trout in non-breeding impoundments all year round. But you must be far enough from the conflugence of the stream and the storage to be beyond where there is any water movement. If you throw a piece of grass in and it moves with the flow, that is still closed water. Vic might be different; I just wonder. Noel

AJ Fishman, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  14. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    It is fine here (all above board). As soon as the water tips over the 'knifedge' (retaining wall) it is war (man vs trout)!

I work for the department of Ag. There are some other departments here in the same facility as well. One of them is a fisheries officer who sits about 100 metres away from me! He keeps a close eye on me! :cool:
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Straight when it comes to the rules!:D

15. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Just curious Jim how long have you lived in Shep or surrounding areas. Just as guess, with the knowledge you have of the area I would say since your early teens.

creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  16. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Understood. The rivers etc of which I spoke don't have such things. Pretty simple when you have a wall or barrier. Noel

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  17. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I was born here Kev.
    Actually Noel it isn't that simple. Check out the following definition from Vic fisheries.

'The boundary between a lake and a river is the point at which the flowing water of the river meets the backed-up waters of the lake, regardless of the water level of the lake.'

No mention of exceptions for barriers. This is the place in question. As you can see there is still a well formed 'channel' which then flows out to where it meets the lake. By the above definition, one could say that trout should not be targeted in this water in closed season.
    cat close up 18.jpg
    cat full flow 18.jpg
    One thing worth noting is that the trout would unlikely spawn in here anyway due to the spasmodic flow which at times get closed off! Secondly, there is no loose gravel for them to spawn in. But back to the legality of targeting trout here...the regs do not really clarify the situation here (hence why I say it isn't so simple). I have very little doubt that if I messaged Vic fisheries, some person who sits at a desk and has no idea of the local area would say they could not be targeted in these conditions.

Fortunately I have access to the people who know what they are talking about (officers) and they give me the green light. Mind you, I have been fishing this location for around 30 years of which time previous officers have said it is OK.
    cheers
    Jim

18. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    That's good info Jim. You are correct in it being unlikely (I'd say impossible) for trout to spawn there. But there certainly remains a potential grey area. Do you know the score when there are no barriers or dam walls? Our NSW definition is more concise in that it stipulates that if the water is moving; fishing is prohibited. Noel.

AJ Fishman, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  19. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    That explains everything, your knowledge of the channels, creeks, river etc. and know when and when not to fish them.

AJ Fishman, creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  20. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Excellent report there , Jim. Those photos make the channel look very Trouty. Cheers, Lyall. (creekboy)