1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

WHERE ARE WE GOING???

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Old fisho, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I agree with Jeff's comments in the 'cod farming' post about renewable energy and it's tendency to do so without using hydro.
    The recent report that 11,000 scientists have declared climate change as an immediate danger cannot all be wrong.
    Harking back to his comments, my biggest concern about our country is water. It has always been known as the driest island continent on the planet. We continue to increase the population while at the same time the scientists have convinced me at least, that we're going to have less water to go around in the future.
    Simply putting more dams on rivers and such does little more than kill the respective river/s. It doesn't provide more water, just more usable water and that's certainly not the answer. It's a temporary stop gap solution. Nor do I have an answer, other than less people and we can't simply kill off a few million/billion. The entire planet's biggest problem is again the number of people it has to support. The percentage of people with inadequate food, water and medicines is far too high to be ignored. Poverty has always helped generate violence.
    Being nothing more than an observation, I've heard criticisms of Aboriginals who boast that in 40,000 years they did no damage to this country, unlike our white people. Of course they didn't damage it. It was impossible to do so. There were too few of them. When I was young there were eight million people here. There's now about twenty six million. That's an incredible increase in one lifetime.
    Noel
    Another two bits worth of irrelevant nonsense.

2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    'Where are we going' - a good question Noel and my short answer to that is we are heading to the point of no return.

Maybe we have already gone past that point with the Darling River and the Great Barrier Reef and if we haven't, we are pretty damn close to it. I have been spruiking for years that wars will be fought over water & food, or I should say the lack of it and at times I have sometimes been branded a 'greenie' because of my views. I care for the environment and if that makes me a 'greenie', I'm proud to wear the label.

Australia is really starting to feel the effects of not so much climate change, but what is now termed climate crisis and yet the average Australian does not really care. City dwellers have no idea what it is like to run out of water and maybe never will until the day comes when they turn their tap on and nothing comes out. Do we have to wait until that happens? It seems so. The city of Armidale in the New England will experience it in the not so distant future, a city of more than 30,000 people with no water - then what?

Warragamba Dam, the main water supply for Sydney has less than 2 years of usable water supply - then what?

Towns in the Granite Belt like Tenterfield, Stanthorpe, Applethorpe, Esk, Warwick and the list goes on and on either have run out of water or are close to it - then what?

Major towns in the Central West of NSW are close to running dry - then what?

Currently, there are no answers for 'then what' because nobody has a clue.

That's my rant for the day and I think I will go and kick the neighbour's cat. Why? It makes me feel good.

Jeff

3. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Your so-called rant (it's not a rant at all) is right on the nuts and bolts of it all Jeff. We, (not all but certainly many of us) Australians simply choose to ignore the possibility of not just towns but major cities running out of water. It is more likely to become a probability than a possibility.
    We may well recover from this dose of nature's fickle ways but she is only teasing. The problems will continue to hurt people and most likely increase in severity.
    The latest idea from our government of supplying emergency funding relief for drought affected farmers certainly has merit but appears to overlook the most basic element. Without rain, the only change will be the same farmers having a large debt added to their woes and still have no productivity. There is no guaranteed way to create rain in spite of attempts at cloud seeding etc.
    Without farm productivity, very few of us will have food. We can't all be self sufficient. As said, creating more dams to store water is no real answer. When the rivers die, the attached estuaries die too. That means birds, animals, fish and the ability to live there will suffer too.
    I'm not trying to be pessimistic. I just believe the seriousness of what we face NOW!! It's not something that maybe might happen one day but perhaps won't happen at all. It IS happening and I tend to put more faith in the scientists than the sceptics.
    It's not something to ignore.
    Noel
    Sometimes an outrageous ratbag but not always.

4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Unfortunately we have decision makers living in a bubble, Noel. They have vested interests in industries that are causing the most harm to the planet and they wont listen to the warnings coming from the scientists.

We have a federal minister for agriculture stating that we can turn our ag industry into a $100 billion export industry (more than twice what it is now) over the next 10 years and yet the farmers themselves are saying that the industry is going down the gurgler. Who do we believe? I've lost faith in the ability of government to do what is best for the entire country, not what is best for those who donate the most money to political party coffers. There is a fair chance that in 10 years from now there will not be an agricultural industry to supply enough food for our own population let alone to those countries to the north of us who keep breeding like rabbits. In 20 years time it will be even worse and by the middle of the century it could be Armageddon time, the most heavily populated countries like Indonesia, China and India will see Australia as prime real estate, ripe for the picking.

I'm glad I wont live that long.

5. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Again, right on the nose.
    Let's be egotistic for a moment and say great minds think alike.
    Have a good trip to SA and best of luck.
    N.

kev209, creekboy and diesel like this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Thanks Noel and I wish you a positive outcome with what you are facing in the very near future - my thoughts will be with you.

Jeff

kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I saw this pic on a Facebook page. It is a tap at the Port Kembla boat ramp and a lot of fishos are having a dummy spit about not having access to fresh water for flushing outboards and also the fish cleaning table.

Port Kembla boat ramp tap.jpg

I guess people are going to have to get used to the fact that the country is rapidly running out of potable water and if turning off supply in places like this is the reality check to get the message across, so be it. The fact that there are still fishos who use fresh water to clean their salt water caught fish is beyond me.

Jeff

kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  8. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Your above subject has been banned here for some time Jeff.

kev209 and diesel like this.
  9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Noel, when I think back to all the years I fished up north on Cape York and in the remote spots of NT, we didn't have the luxury of mains pressure tap water to flush outboards after a day in the salt, we carted all our own water in for that and used a 12 volt pump for pressure cleaning.

Jeff

kev209 likes this.
  10. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Basically Jeff, we are truly spoilt and seem to be only able to live with over indulgence.
    It's a price we can't afford to pay

kev209 and Madfisher like this.