1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Which 4x4

Discussion in 'Camping, Carravanning & 4x4' started by Joffa, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Joffa

Joffa New Member

Jan 27, 2007
    G'day Guys
    Just after some info,I've been looking at getting a used 4x4,I owned a old triton 4x4 ute it diid the job ok, I need to update to a dual cab for the family, also for work and play.
    Cheers Joffa :thumbsup:

2. steve37

steve37 New Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Around Robinvale its Hilux city ,never hear a bad word.
    (except for tipping them over)

3. Goodoo Dreaming

Goodoo Dreaming New Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Let's open up a whole can of worms here! :lol:

It all comes down to money!

The ole Toyota is pretty much Mr Reliability and have the runs on the board!

For me it's coil sprung suspension only!

I think you'll have to be quite detailed in your requirements to really give any helpful info.

4. Joffa

Joffa New Member

Jan 27, 2007
    Looking at spending between 22 to 25
    Keen on the triton,but open to others suggestions,
    Whats the best engine diesel or petrol ,what size engine is suitable for towing,
    any bad experiences with certain models or brands that type of stuff.
    cheers Joffa

5. whipper

whipper New Member

May 14, 2007
    hi joffa. im in the same boat. after a recent fishing trip, i came to teh conclusion that i now need to trade in the holden ute and get a 4wd. main reasons so far is to get a bit more ground clearance and also i think that it should be cheaper then a v8. i was vaguely looking at cruisers or hilux. as the boys have said, they seem to have the reputation. will be interested to hear the responses.

anyone that has any input for my situation (my boats only 3.9m) would be good.

whipper

6. shade

shade New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Another in the same boat .. tho I have a Jeep Cherokee Sport (96model) 4wd atm, and reckon it's great .. I've been looking at getting a Hilux or ute just to lower overall costs.

The Jeep is good, but when you have repairs or replacement parts, it's more difficult getting them.

Case in point I was fishing up the east coast .. pulled into Eden, went to start it .. and nothing. Ended up being the keys barrel system broken, thus not switching it to turn over. Had to get parts in from Canberra, and labour was ~$400. took 4 days.

Another example is the transmission fluid hoses .. the mechanic said, on any other vehicle they are easy to replace, but on the jeep, have to take off the front of the car to get into all this .. a good $200 in labour for something simple.

7. gone_fishing

gone_fishing New Member

Nov 4, 2006
    only prob that hilux's have is that you have to keep up a rigous service schedule ever 5k km
    as the oil gets to contaminated and doesnt cool or lubricate the motor and then spins number 3 big end
    but dont let that stop you buy one :D
    rodeos have brake problems spesh with a bit of wieght up it bum but the 3l t go like a rocket
    dont know much about the tritons but i know a few poeple with 3l t pajeros and they love them and i know the newer tritons have the same 3l t motor or so im lead to believe
    all :D tthe best

8. Joffa

Joffa New Member

Jan 27, 2007
    G'day Gone fishing
    thanks for the info ,I'm not a big one for looking after them,I just junp in a drive the buggers so inbetween a service gets stretched a fare bit.I'm leaning towards the rodeo with a 3L Turbo,brakes you say, you mean trouble pulling up or wear out quick.The hunt continues.
    Cheers Joffa

9. gone_fishing

gone_fishing New Member

Nov 4, 2006
    hi joffa
    brakes on rodeos are a bit ordanary had heaps of probs with 02 model wieght 2.6 t didnt stop at all did 80k with out wearing pads out
    the 07 i got now has had a recall on master cylinder but it stops good at 2.7 t
    the 3l t do go very good but personlly arnt very comfortable and mine has a lot of wind noise due to tool boxes
    test drive a few different models as i think each has strengths and weakness
    cheers :D

10. Goodoo Dreaming

Apr 12, 2006
    Dont talk to me about 4x4 Rodeo's.......I had one at work and literally broke it. Cracked the chassis both sides fair in the middle. It was like putting in one metre springs without shocks. :lol: .....OH! .....and I forgot, thats was a month or two after the rear wheel studs snapped off and the wheel took off at 80kph down the road. What a piece of ****! :lol:

11. Joffa

Joffa New Member

Jan 27, 2007
    Well might have to have another re-think then
    May be a hummer would do the job,I here there pretty strong :lol:
    Cheers Joffa

12. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Nissan Pathfinders Rock!!!
    Chicka

13. boating4x4camping

boating4x4camping New Member

Jan 11, 2008
    I've had landcruiser utes, landcruiser wagons, 4 runner, landrover and couple of pajeros and they are all great depending on your circumstances. turbo diesel 4 runner was unstopable but a very rough ride and quite gutless, very little storage room and only 2 door. Diesel Landcruiser ute was awesome, it would go anywhere, pull any thing and was great on fuel, but not a family car and again a bit rough. Petrol/gas landcruiser wagon was comfortable, unstopable, loads of room but incredibly thirsty. 3.5 v6 Pajero (5 speed) goes like a rocket, has the same pulling capacity as the landcruiser and patrol (2.5t) and is great off road, but you do run out of room when packing the camping gear. At the end of the day they all have mechanical up and downs, so you need to ask your self what is important to you and what you mainly want it for. eg. level of comfort, storage space, fuel costs, height of vehicle (do you park in shopping centres) where a lot of 4x4's can't fit due to height, are you going to tow with it and if so what weight will you pull, are you going off road a lot, do you require ground clearance, and the list goes on and on.

Mate, make a list with the things that matter to you, test drive a bucket load of makes and models and go with the one that gets the most ticks on your list.

Good luck.

14. fisherman347

fisherman347 Active Member

Sep 4, 2006
    .Hi all, seem's to me we all have our opinion's here. Also it sounds like every 4x4 has it's good point's & bad,at the end of the day i suppose one just has to weigh up the options & buy what's right for one's self.When i spent my time in Darwin a good fishing buddy of mine had a toyota short wheel base,when we went down the track,to Mary River,Mango farm on the daily river it was terrific,i'm sure it had a six cylinder in it.The pig never missed a beat & the bonus was the shell was fibreglass,hence no body rust & it was sensational on fuel. Maybe the models with a fibreglass shell are hard to get or come across now,however i had to throw a spanner in the work's,lol,so to speak. Joffer,Whipper,i hope ya's both get a good buy for your money. All the best Greg.

15. Goodoo Dreaming

Apr 12, 2006
    How'd ya go Joffa? Did ya get one in the end?

16. Joffa

Joffa New Member

Jan 27, 2007
    G'day Steady
    Yes I did,ended up getting a 2002 rodeo Lt sports turbo diesel, didn't heed you warnings,only time will tell, ok so far only had it about a month it's been upto Swan hill and back without any hassles.
    I thought it was a really good buy, one owner,retired fella, not to many on the clock,in really good nick,mechanic gave it the thumbs up
    and no he didn't drive it church on Sundays.:D
    Cheers Joffa

17. Goodoo Dreaming

Apr 12, 2006
    Just dont overload her!

18. diggerwilson

diggerwilson New Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Gidday Guys............;)

I have a Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8 Turbo Diesel Wagon 96 model.

I had a WB 253 ute b4 that, MAN I would never go back to a UTE now DUST FREE... Love it.
    I have been up at Carrathool between Griffith and Hay ( Murrumbidgee ) after 3.5 inches of Rain and dragged my mates EB wagon out in Black soil sinking 4 to 5 inches in the Mud. Its the best thing I have ever taken on a mission ever......... CHEAP as to run, I have a 90 Lt tank can go up there & into the CORNER STORE.7km......;) almost everyday and come back to Vic on the same tank 307 km one way....... You do the math.

It has all the perks Elec windows, cruise, Air... etc...
    BUT reliabillity to match.........;)

19. davyyyy

davyyyy New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    triton

Hi I have a 2005 triton glx-r dual cab petrol v6 it has to be one of the best 4x4 utes i've had . and am heading up to coburg penninsular in april with it.

Cheers
    davyyyy

20. davyyyy

davyyyy New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Has anyone been up through arnhemland and if so can you let me know what the roads are like
    Thanx
    davyyyy