1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Which Anchor

Discussion in 'Boats' started by wallz, Jan 16, 2006.

1. wallz

wallz New Member

Oct 12, 2005
    I bumped into an old freind the other day and we got talking and as it turned out hes just got himself a small boat 14ft Bellboy and he asked me a question,which anchor works the best.I told him it depends what the bottom is like,firstly i think i was right(someone correct me if im wrong)the flat type for sandy bottom and the pronged type for rocky or reef bottom.
    Now with out a sounder to c the bottom his question to me was how do i know what its like down there.Now i really couldnt answer that question except have a look what other ppl are using and gain some local knowledge of the area being fished.Either that or carry both types on board.
    I only ever used the flat type with a heap of chain on it and had no trouble.
    So firstly am i correct in the use of the diff types of anchors?
    Howmany of you carry both types?
    I was told that you should have at least half the boat length in chain is this correct?
    Should my freind purchace both types?
    What type do you use?
    :) :)

2. ozdevil

ozdevil New Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Wallz

I carry both sand and reef anchor onboard my boat as both as they sate ones a sand anchor and one is for reef

your boat chain should be double ya boat lentgh so i have been told for example if your boat is 5 metres your chain shouldbe at least 10 metres

but i just think it is good to carry both setups becuase if one dont hold i am sure the other will and if you want to do away with carrying both then suggest to your mate to buy a sarca anchor

cheers
    OZ

3. Sparkesy1

Sparkesy1 New Member

Aug 30, 2005
    We have 2 anchors - one for sand/mud (eg Portland Harbour) and one for reef (eg Portland Bay). Our boat is 4.8mtr (16ft) aluminium.

Chain - we used to have 5 mtr of 10mm chain. We would drag anchor when the current was strong or in a sloppy sea. I have switched to 4mtr of 6mm chain off the anchor then 2 mtr of the 10mm chain the the rope - and it is lighter but really works a treat in holding the boat. My research has come up that you should aim for about one and a half the length of your boat in chain. I used to only use the cahin when I used the sand anchor.

The reef anchor should have little chain - as the chain can get caught in the edges/crevasses of the reef. In the past I used the reef without any chain. Next Portland trip, I will be trying the reef anchor with the 6mm chain, but no 10mm chain.

There is one other option - a SARCA anchor - SARCA stands for Sand And Reef Combination Anchor - a lot of the Coast Guards and other emergency services use the sarca anchor - a bit more expensive than a standard sand anchor, but probably same price as buying the 2 anchors. Probably if I ever loose the sand anchor, I will get a SARCA anchor.

Hope this personal experience helps.

4. wallz

wallz New Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Thanks very much guys.

5. bulldog

bulldog Guest

6. Sparkesy1

Sparkesy1 New Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Hay Billdog,

Where in Vic are you from - another Westie I hope !!!

Welcome to tacklebox - sit back relax and enjoy

7. ronje1

ronje1 New Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Anchor chain

Hello

Two related issues here.

first issue

You simply need 2-3 metres of anchor chain.

The main problem with anchoring is that boaties dont use enough anchor line.
    If you use a anchor line of length 4-5 times the depth (called scope and some will say a figure of 7 times) then the pull on the anchor is more horizontal than vertical. The chain simply helps keep the pull horizontal and keeps the anchor "dug in".

Pull on the anchor is that force exerted by the boat which is influenced by the tide, wave action and windage.

If you don't use enough scope, then the pull on the anchor line tends to be more vertical and results in the anchor's hold on the botttom being broken by the vertical pull.

Boaties mistakenly add anchor chain to excess to make up for the fundamental error of not enough scope. Chain manufacturers love it.

More scope means that the boat may move around a bit more on the longer anchor line but that's better than not holding.

On a sandy or muddy bottom in which a danforth anchor will dig it's flukes in, its fairly simple.

on a reef bottom use a reef anchor '( one which looks like a grapnel the invaders used to throw up the castle walls on a rope) but still only the same length of chain. The prongs on the anchor get caught on the rocks/reef etc but are thin enough to bend if enough force is exerted when pulling up the anchor.

second issue
    use of a anchor which has both reef and sand characteristics is simply a compromise.

The manufacturer is offering you the convenience of not carrying 2 different types of anchors.

The price you pay for the convenience is a compromise on performance.

It'll work to a degree but it won't be as good as a similarly sized danforth on a sandy/muddy bottom. On a reef bottom it may be too good if it gets hung up.

It'll be no problem breaking out of a sandy/muddy bottom but may be more difficult to break out from a reef site.

you would be well advised to use the old 10 litre plastic drum trick to increase chances of anchor recovery if using a combination anchor on a reef. The plastic drum (the floater) is forced down the anchor line as you motor around the anchor. As the drum gets deeper it exerts vertical lift on the anchor and breaks it free. that's the principle.

Other anchors have a ring which slides up the anchor shafrtand the vertical lift is exerted on the anchor head and not the opposite end of the shaft. Easier anchor breakouts result.

Avoid most of the problems by using sufficient scope on the anchor line.

regards
    Rocky Ron

8. ronje1

ronje1 New Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Anchors

Thought I'd better have a look at the sarca anchors.

Its simply a variation of a plough anchor with a ring but without the hinged shaft. that means that as the flat head digs in the shaft is up off the bottom. Dont like that. We have some vertical component already.

It'll hold a sandy or muddy bottom ok except I don't like the fixed shaft.

To use on a reef they've simply put a ring on it to reduce that chances of the flat pointed head getting too good a hold and to make it physically bulky to reduce the chances of it falling down between rocks or reef etc.

The reef holding feature is the flat pointed arrow-shaped plough head which has ring to prevent it getting too much of a hold and thus making recovery difficult.

As a way of increasing recovery chances they've put a slot in the flat shaft to allow a ring or shackle (attached to the chain and anchor line) to slide along the shaft and exert vertical lift on the flat blade. pull the head out first (Like I said in the previous reply about the 10 litre drum)

I can understand some rescue organisations being attracted to save space on the boat although a sarca anchor is pretty bulky itself. Space is at a premium considering all the other gear a rescue boat has to carry.

what IS in the sarca webpage is confirmation of the length of anchor chain if you have reservations about my previous reply.

Look at the recommended length of chain in the smallest anchor (for a tinnie). 3 metres. I agree with them about that.

regards
    Rocky Ron

9. bulldog

bulldog Guest

Born in footscray, now based in Carrum Downs

10. Tackleboxer

Tackleboxer Guest

sarca anchor...We found that on the bottom on the sand it keeped moving so we use another one just the standed one...But u never know it's always good to keep 2 just in case...

11. wallz

wallz New Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Thanks for all the info will pass it on.