1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Which Boat?

Discussion in 'Boats' started by Wyld Fisher, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Wyld Fisher

Wyld Fisher New Member

Nov 29, 2006
    I'm looking at getting a tinnie that is between 3.7-4m and it will be used in the esturay, bay, rivers, and lakes. I want one that is fairly stable when on the move and on the rest. I'm looking at spending no more than $7000 dollars on a new boating package not including optionals.

All help will be appreciated!

2. Classic Cod

Classic Cod New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    G'day lockie,

I would reccomend a Quintrex 385 Explorer or a Stessl Edgetracker.

Nick

3. Goodoo Dreaming

Goodoo Dreaming New Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Any boat expected to be used on Port Philip Bay should be a deep-vee anything else would be unwise.

4. Wyld Fisher

Wyld Fisher New Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Thanks for your help Nick but i'm after someone who already has a boat and they know what there talking about. So far I have my eye on these boats. I'm after one that is stable on the move and on the rest.

Quintrex
    385 Explorer
    375 Dart
    395 Dart

Stacer
    380 Seasprite
    395 Seasprite
    399 Proline

5. Joffa

Joffa New Member

Jan 27, 2007
    G'day Wyld Fisher
    There are a heap of options,I think it really depends on where you will do most of your fishing as steady said a deep v is a must for PPB.The stacer sea sprite I have is a great little boat but is a little unstable at rest, would do ok lure casting in the river or lake if needed,watch out if two fellows go to one side to quick!.If you get a chance go to www.boatpoint.com.au there is a heap of good info on new & used boats
    Cheers Joffa :thumbsup:

6. Wyld Fisher

Wyld Fisher New Member

Nov 29, 2006
    I was thinking to myself I could probably get a better boat than the 385 Explorer. The reason why is if I get a boat that already has the optionals that I want as standard and it optionals that I want that I can't put on the 385 Explorer then I might get the better boat. I hope this made sense.

The 385 Explorer is still on top of my list but I now have these boats on my list which cost a bit more, bigger, and are better hopefully.

Quintrex
    395 Explorer Trophy
    400 Hornet Trophy

Stacer
    399 Proline Angler
    400 SF Bass Elite

In case you haven't noticed a pattern, I'm looking for one that has a side console box as a optional and a rear casting deck as standard/optional. And if your wondering where the money is coming from i'm saving up and doing chors and lil jobs around the joint.

7. Goodoo Dreaming

Goodoo Dreaming New Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Lachlan,
    Trying to find a boat to cast lures in freshwater and bait fish in the salt is a big ask particularly if your choice of boat is under 4m. The boats you have mentioned in your last post are very capable flat water boats and used in these conditions they will do well for you. As for bay work you would be wise to only stick to the sheltered or calm water for your salt water fishing. A 435 Hornet would do you alot better but it may be out of your budget.

Have a look at the Polycraft range as these although not as cool as the river boats with their sleek looks and full on casting decks are however real performers in both waters and are priced very economically.

8. Native_Caster

Native_Caster New Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Mate if you buy one of the explorer trophys/stacer proline angler make sure you go the max with the hp great boats for freshwater/estury casting i would take mine out on the bay but i would make sure the weather is alright and wouldnt stray to far from shore in case it turns sour. The dollars start adding up when you jump from a basic tinny to the optioned up ones alot :eek: .

cheers

Stephen

9. Wyld Fisher

Wyld Fisher New Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Thanks guys for you tips!

These are the optionals i'll have on my boat;
    Bimini and envelope
    Rod holders
    Side pockets
    Side console box
    CD stero and speakers (maybe)
    Alloy cleat
    Rear casting deck with live bait tank

There are some optionals that I don't really have an idea what they are so I was just wondering would someone be able to help me out? They are;
    Accessory kit
    Electric motor bow mount plate (is that a mount for the electric motor)?
    Ignition box
    Bow spirt and bow roller
    Bow mount thruster plate small

10. whipper

whipper New Member

May 14, 2007
    classic cod mentioned the makocraft estuary tracker. i have a 390 estuary tracker tournament. beautiful little boat. incredibly stable at rest and underway. can walk all over it without it moving to much (we have had 3 side by side and it hardly moved). has plenty of casting space. for the areas i go, rivers, estuaries and dams it great. not sure how it would handle going outside (think someone mentioned it). live tank etc etc. any qs you have if your interested, post a message.

whipper

11. Jumpnastart

Jumpnastart New Member

Mar 18, 2007
    IF you hadnt deleted me off msn i could of given you this advice awhile ago...
    i have a 3.85 explorer, would get smashed in ppb or anything with much swell, its hull is only shallow
    great for bass or bream or anything like that but no good for bay fishing or anything like that.
    If i was you id buy 2nd hand something that is fairly new and then youd have more money for options.
    have you had a look at brands like bluefin, stessel or allycraft?
    all make good boats.
    keep an eye on ebay and the trading post. i ended up getting my boat for 3 grand with casting platforms a 15hp 4 stroke the lot.
    just some ideas for you...
    Send me a pm mate...