1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Which charger is best?

Discussion in 'Boats' started by hangers77, Nov 7, 2008.

1. hangers77

hangers77 New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    G'day all,

After having set up the edgy with a new electric and battery, I'm looking at upgrading the old battery charger. I had a bit of a scan through a few old posts and noticed that ctek's were pretty common and beehives were mentioned as well.

I will be charging 2 x 115 Ah sealed lead acid batteries connected in parallel, and was hoping for some advice on what others have found suited (or didn't suit) similar applications. I currently am just charging off a pretty stock car battery charger, but due to the cost of purchasing batteries I want to look after them as much as possible!

Cheers and Beers,

Hangers

2. djgtom

djgtom New Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Hangers,

i really like the 3 stage C-tek chargers. They are really small and charges them pretty quick if you have a larger one.

dean

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  3. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    I've just restored over 12 deep cycle batteries that were thought to be only good for the tip. I have the 25A C-tek. Wouldn't have anything else!

4. Adam Bosley

Adam Bosley New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Hi Hangers.
    I have just started looking for one myself, but I think for now I'm going to borrow old chicken lickers charger he has sitting there. ;)

5. fish475

fish475 New Member

Jul 21, 2007
    I've the C-Tek charger being a 8 step, 7 amp Model.

They are just superb at doing the job of charging and maintaining batteries.
    I would never use any other charger now.
    Bought mine from Repco Albury and they will give you a better price than the displayed if you ask for a best price.
    Yep, there very pricing, but worth every penny IMO.

Cheers Garry

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  6. hangers77

hangers77 New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Righto fellas,

It sounds like it is going to be a C-TEK charger then, just have to decide on what size. I'm assuming that the bigger amp rating means quicker charging? Any other recommended sellers of these chargers?

Cheers and Beers,

Hangers

7. Dogdoc

Dogdoc New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    re charger

I have the beehive 1225- 25 amp charger and am very happy with it. It can bring a troll motor battery up from a heavy days work in 3-4 hrs. I have had the charger and a single m-31 delkor in the boat for 2 years and is still going strong. I originally had 2 batteries but sold one as It was never being used. I can hinestly say I hve never run out of power on the troll motor with on battery. The other thing I have done is used a 1000 watt inverter generator to run the charger while out in the scrub. Over lunch or dinner brings that batts back while doing those big days trolling.

certainly money spent on a a high capacity quality charger is not wasted.

cheers

Andrew

8. greenfish

greenfish New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Yep ctek is the good stuff, I have the 15amp model and as far as I know these are available only in Australia, they all have minimum-maximum capacity battery limits so choose carefully.
    Got mine at a very good price from "Independant battery distributors", there are a few outlets round the southern part of the country and have a web site...

cheers

9. roundy

roundy New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    My Charger

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Smart Charger
    BC-012-15A
    12 Volt 15 Amp
    Will charge 2 seperate battery banks at the same time
    SWITCH MODE MULTI-STAGE BATTERY CHARGER
    Smart Battery Chargers provide an accurate and fast charge through a 3-stage charging system. The Bulk Stage of charging provides up to full rated output current to charge a battery to 60% of capacity. The Absorption Stage chargers the battery to 95% of capacity by decreasing the output current as required by the battery. The Float Stage completes the charging cycle and continues to provide a very low output current to prevent the battery from internally discharging. This output current is as low as 40mA allowing continuous connection of the Smart Battery Charger without the risk of overcharging or boiling the battery. Operates from 170 volts AC to 270 volts AC which is handy in large marinas where volt drop is a problem.
    FEATURES
    # 3-Stage Charging System
    # 1st Stage: Bulk
    # 2nd Stage: Absorption
    # 3rd Stage: Float
    # Fully Automatic Charging
    # Switch Mode-->Small Size 200+215+80mm 1.7kg
    # High Efficiency
    # No Radio Interference
    # Input/Output Isolated
    # Battery Type Selector [Lead Acid, AGM or Gell]
    # Thermal Controlled Fan
    # Reverse Polarity Protection
    # Short Circuit Protection
    # Over Charging Protection
    # EMI & Surge Protection
    # 12 Month Warranty

I use this charger all the time for charging the boat battery, lecky motor batteries (Haze 100amp/hr gel like vass had for sale X 2) and a 100amp/hr deep cycle for the waeco and found it to do a great job

Roundy

10. Vass

Vass Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Roundy do you ever charge the two batteries at once???

11. roundy

roundy New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    battery charging

use them together and charge them together it seems to work fine

Roundy

12. macka176

macka176 New Member

Jul 18, 2006

Hi. Some can, some can't.. depends on the pricing.

I have a Marine "guest". 25a Charger. in caravan. With 2 times 110a AGM batteries.
    Has three seperate charging outlet wires.

Can do one/two/ or three at once. separately. 10a\10a\5a. Will also put full output to any one of them if it needs to.

They. and others also do two as well. (A bit cheaper....)

Trace also do multi's too. but they commercial, mainly.

For the boat. I have two NZ70's, wired together. Charged through Opti. and 2 1/2a Solar panel. Also have a 20a Charger with a 25 solar regulator in front of it If needed...
    Same as a smart charger. But cheaper. and a lot more robust.

Macka17