1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Who's heading away for Christmas

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by kev209, Dec 11, 2019.

1. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Who is going away for Christmas and where are you off to, being fisho's is it salt or fresh water your heading to. Lyn and I will be heading off for a break in early January when things are finalized with our van.

2. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    I wish I was going away problem with living in a place like this is at Christmas and for the next three or 4 weeks I can't get a park anywhere boat ramps are full of rubbernecks that can't back a trailer it's just stay home and mow the lawns for a month

3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    As soon as there is a break in the fire weather here in NSW, the bride and myself will make a run for home. Our original intentions on this trip were to head further south, maybe have a look around Bender country and then across to SA, but with a few matters to attend to back in Qld plus all the fires and the continuing threat of more outbreaks we canned the idea.

Normally I wouldn't travel through what I call the storm belt of the NSW/QLD border region at this time of year due to the risk of heavy hail - not compatible with aluminium caravan panels, but we've got no choice. We've just got to watch the BOM radar and run the gauntlet when we see an opening.

For those travelling anywhere over the silly season, stay safe and watch out for the ratbags on the roads.

Jeff

blair, DeeBeeKay, Madfisher and 2 others like this.
  4. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2019
    We'll be staying at home, preferring to avoid the crowds and the ludicrous holiday prices for accommodation, etc. We're hoping to head to Tuross some time towards the end of January for a few days to get back on the water, then our annual April trip to Narooma.

+1 for diesel's comment on staying safe and watching for out for clowns in cars if you're traveling.

5. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Have a Merry and safe Christmas everyone.

6. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Clowns and ratbags on the road yep and dont forget the ones in uniform ......

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  7. Dickson

Dickson Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2019
    Heading off on Boxing day for 2 weeks and I cannot wait

8. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Same problem here Tackleberry, the river is full of jet skis, d!ckheads and jet ski d!ckheads, better of staying home and venturing out to a channel now and then, cheers davo.

9. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    They shouldnt be able to run one on plane within 300m of the shore here in the lakes

10. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    The Boss and I have always tried to stay off roads during Christmas and Easter. That started many years ago when we lived in Ararat and the Stawell Gift was on over Easter. The reasoning has changed a bit since then. Like many others we now avoid holiday season roads due to ratbags. In the same way we tend to keep away from our lake; not because of increased fisher numbers but those bloody jet skis. The machines are doubtless goof fun but the drivers are very often something else. They are generally (here) the rudest and most arrogant water users known to man. I have said I hate carp but hate jet skiers even more.
    Due to the fires and closed roads we might have some peace this Christmas. Accommodation booking are being cancelled daily and businesses are concerned about losing the principal part of their annual turnover. We will spend with medicos next week and a restaurant night out with friends and family while there. This to be a Christmas meet up and someone's 80th birthday Christmas Eve. Christmas Day will be spent at our local restaurant, the 'Tern Inn' which is a delightful moderately formal restaurant. We are friends with the owners and they come here for dinner now and then. We had a Christmas breakfast party arranged for next Sunday but have deferred it due to road closure and travel difficulties. It's now planned for Australia Day on January 26. Breakfast is a great time to entertain visitors.
    Noel
    I'm dreaming of a white Christmas but if we run out of white, I'll drink red.

11. Hen and Chook

Hen and Chook Active Member

Sep 9, 2009
    I'll be heading down to Callala Bay for the Christmas period so hopefully I'll get to do some fishing in the bay and prawning in the lake. Not taking the boat this year so it will all be from the beach.

Chook

12. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Being a keen kayaker, I try to avoid any waterways that attract jet skiers, but it's getting to the point that no matter where I go some bogan with a 'couldn't give a sh!t' attitude towards other water users comes along and invades my space.

When the revolution comes (it's coming), jet skiers will be among the first to be lined up against the wall along with politicians and tree huggers.

Jeff

13. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2019
    Headed anywhere exciting?

Sadly mate, I regularly come across that attitude off the water as well. Seems courtesy has been replaced by a sense of entitlement....

14. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    We use to all ways head to the snowy just after xmas, but theres just to many people there now, will wait a couple of weeks. In the mean while I have access tro a few private properties.

Merry Xmas guys, and all the best for the new year.
    Pete

15. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Back to ya Pete

Master Baiter, Old fisho and diesel like this.
  16. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I am going to fish my way to Waranambool in Victoria, starting at eucenbene or tuross and back, stay in tent.
    Merry xmas to all and catch a big one.

17. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Pat and I spend Xmas on our own. But even if we did have the chance to go away it is not practical , with a chance of fire with stock or running out of water. Fishing no, like every where it seems the Jet Ski rules,we hear them charging up and down the Lake in the prohibited areas and the 5 knot restriction sign areas.
    Which is half of the Lake southern end where it is very shallow in places. It is for the safety of all craft owners because of hidden logs in the shallows.
    Wally

blair, DeeBeeKay, kev209 and 3 others like this.
  18. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Both Boss and I hope all in TBX have more than anything else, a safe time during the Christmas break no matter where you go or with whom you spend the time.
    Never forget there are numerous people on here who want to continue to converse with you.
    Stay well, stay happy, and most of all, go fishing.
    With fond regards,
    Noel (and Boss)
    Soon an even older 'Old fisho'.

blair, DeeBeeKay, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  19. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Merry Xmas Blair have a safe trip

Old fisho likes this.
  20. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Hi Noel, Lyn and I wish you and the boss a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

blair and Old fisho like this.