1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Will my car tow this boat?

Discussion in 'Boats' started by Eyebrow, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Eyebrow

Eyebrow New Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Im about to buy a 6.3m centre console fibre glass boat (150HP Yammy 2 stroke outboard) Also its on a dual axle trailer.

Basically my ride is a 2006 2.6l mazda bravo 2wd and im wondering if im going to need an upgrade or will this be ok on the boat ramps.
    It has a very talky gear ratio so i cant see the problem.
    But im asking for comment so i don't embarrass myself!

comments welcome.

2. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Only problem i can see is it might be a little light in the ass for some ramps without 4wd.

3. Eyebrow

Eyebrow New Member

Jan 22, 2010
    yep, exactly what i was worried about!

4. Doodah

Doodah New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Just use the outboard to help push it up the ramp;) Wharf is spot on. Also,
    Thats a fair lump of a boat, is your ute Diesel? Either way its gonna get hot if you have to go any further than about 10km. Find a mate with a 4WD, take your boat and his/her 4WD. Splash out and go buy yourself an old 2H Diesel 60 series cruiser, will cost you about as much as a tank of fuel for your boat, and will pull that boat all day (allbeit at 80KM/H). No dramas at the ramps either. I towed my mates BBQ pontoon (over 2tonnes) from Moonie to Gladstone with mine, after he cooked his Courier.

5. Rusty Can

Rusty Can New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    I think the Bravo would be getting its neck ringed. Not much better pulling power than a Diesel or a BIG V8 and there Guzzlers.
    Doodah has the right idea 'Cruiser' Allbeit 80km/H Lol thats fast compared to my Hilux loaded with Boat in tow ;0) "2.8 always late" RC

Another important thing to remember is Ball load Rate may or may not be worth considering ???????????????

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  6. Eyebrow

Eyebrow New Member

Jan 22, 2010
    ok so its decided.....upgrade it is....anyone wanna swap out? hahaha

7. Doodah

Doodah New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Yeah mate, I will swap you a 2001 435 Hornet trophy for your monster boat. Then you can keep your Bravo :)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  8. Eyebrow

Eyebrow New Member

Jan 22, 2010
    naa definatley will be trading out the car first!

9. Deen brinkin

Deen brinkin ..and its startn to show.

Dec 23, 2009
    One thing i'd be considering is how to stop the thing. Most vehicles will pull a boat. Some a little slower than others. But you need to be confidant you can stop in a hurry if you need to. Bigger cars have bigger brakes. Thats what i would look into.

Pos.

10. Eyebrow

Eyebrow New Member

Jan 22, 2010
    ack! will take it into account when swapping out. I was more worried about sliding into the ocean when launching....